Is Portland over?

Page 2 of 45<12345>Last »
July 9th, 2021 at 5:06:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Here is what I do
I use google reviews and trip advisor reviews for all the major tourist attractions
I pay close attention to all the recent reviews
All pretty much rave about the attractions
If there are complaints, BLM or ANTIFA is never mentioned (usually price or rude staff)
I want to see these places
So who should I listen to
unbiased reviews from regular people enjoying themselves in PDX
Or
Listen to Soopoo or right wing media who has declared the entire city dead
no brainer
Soopoo is off his rocker
Absolutely visiting Portland

When I was in Beverly Hills, one the most brazen robbery's in the areas history happened a block from me
I yawned
Watched the police circus and had a good time chuckling over the frantic media doing live shots. Probably rode my bike on Venice Beach the next day
Life goes on
No way I'm staying in a bunker
I'm enjoying life despite the right wing BS propaganda that the country is now sh*t due to Biden and Dems
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 9th, 2021 at 5:21:25 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That must be a rumor about traffic lights, it isn't like that.

No rioting, marching or looting: that was in the past.

Lots of zoned out worthless scum holding out signs, begging for money.

If you want to blame someone other than politicians, blame some judges, due to courts saying people cannot be punished for sleeping / camping in public if there is no other place for them, as they have a constitutionally protected right to sleep somewhere.

Screwy, but there it is: were I in charge I'd round them all up, train em, and have em rebuild the infrastructure.

Most are losers who are strung out / drunk and lack any semblance of hope.
July 9th, 2021 at 5:47:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
That must be a rumor about traffic lights, it isn't like that.

No rioting, marching or looting: that was in the past.

Lots of zoned out worthless scum holding out signs, begging for money.

If you want to blame someone other than politicians, blame some judges, due to courts saying people cannot be punished for sleeping / camping in public if there is no other place for them, as they have a constitutionally protected right to sleep somewhere.

Screwy, but there it is: were I in charge I'd round them all up, train em, and have em rebuild the infrastructure.

Most are losers who are strung out / drunk and lack any semblance of hope.

It was relayed to me earlier this year. The rioting and looting went on for months, nightly.

The judges are a product of the local society. "Somewhere" has become "anywhere" on the west coast. Just part of the collapsing society I keep telling anyone who will listen about.
The President is a fink.
July 9th, 2021 at 6:37:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Let's say it dies.

Should I worry about Portland anymore than any other city that snuffed itself out?

Cities have died for various reasons over the years. I'd be sorry if I had lost my job in a dying steel industy, or the Japanese or Chinese killed my industry.

Or all the young people move away, as sometimes happens in farm country.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 6:39:52 PM permalink
rxwine
And who keeps giving homeless people stuff? You have too many and you want them to leave, that's not the way to do it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 6:46:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Traffic in Portland got so bad, I had to leave it in 1990.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 9th, 2021 at 6:47:24 PM permalink
rxwine
As nice as Portland is, it's also not near the top of the greatest culture that ever destroyed itself in some sort of self-immolation. Not a fan of the loss, but that's the way history is.
July 9th, 2021 at 6:55:27 PM permalink
rxwine
AS Soopoo might know, it's kind of ridiculous to throw all your energy at the most serious cases who are almost certainly dying soon, when you have less serious cases that actually be rescued from potential dying throes with 1/10th the effort.

If someone keeps circling the drain, you only keep pulling them back so many times, until you decide to let him go where he seems determined.

Metaphor...
July 9th, 2021 at 8:15:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Traffic in Portland got so bad, I had to leave it in 1990.]

I visited Portland in either 1989 or 1990 and I thought it was a whole even then. Way too many homeless people around the freeway exits that would come up to your car when you stopped at a light begging for money. Totally turned me off to the entire city. I dealt with homeless people everyday when I had the bar in Santa Barbara. It was on Lower State Street in the 400 block which is only four blocks from the ocean which is where homeless people sleep at night in Santa Barbara.

We called them Street People in 1980, never heard homeless until much later. They all have one thing in common, they have no work ethic. They love living on the streets and living day to day. Getting drunk, doing drugs, eating free food at some church or shelter or soup kitchen. I can tell you why Portland is overrun with homeless people. It has nothing to do with the location, has everything to do with their politics. There is now and always has been an underground gossip line among hobos, bums, Street people, and now homeless people. They tell each other where the most lenient cities are and where the strict ones are. Santa Barbara had a reputation that they could do almost anything they wanted short of committing crimes. So they flocked there. Portland had a reputation that it was the Wild West for Street People and they could get away with almost anything. And it grew and grew till it destroyed the city. We don't have that problem where I live because we wouldn't tolerate it. Don't even try it here.

Street people are the reason I left Santa Barbara. Beautiful city and to see these people being tolerated just because they didn't want to get a job finally got to me and I left. I don't feel sorry for Portland. When squatters try to take over your house you forcibly remove them, you don't give them their own bedroom. You made this problem Portland, now you can live with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2021 at 8:18:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JCW09

All you do is Yawn a lot and post stupid uninformed $hit.
Keep embarrassing yourself, what a f'in joke.

Sigh. Seeing someone actually post this brought a tear to my eye.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 45<12345>Last »