Political division" the beginning of the end?

Page 3 of 3<123
July 9th, 2021 at 3:44:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
"Speaking properly" is likely almost never the source of new languages. If the language of Louisiana bayou lasts long enough it may become neither French nor English but traces of both. Then at some point some "experts" decide proper usage of the whole thing and say anything else is wrong.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 3:57:41 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
"Speaking properly" is likely almost never the source of new languages. If the language of Louisiana bayou lasts long enough it may become neither French nor English but traces of both. Then at some point some "experts" decide proper usage of the whole thing and say anything else is wrong.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

I don't disagree. My point is, in order for a person to be proper when discussing speaking properly, the person must use adverbs when adverbs are appropriate and adjectives anytime adjectives are applicable.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 9th, 2021 at 4:56:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
(Link removed, unnecessary)

Talking Proper = Speaking Properly---in case anyone needed a translation.

When modifying a verb, such as, "Speak," or, "Talk," you want to use an adverb. Proper is an adjective that would modify a noun, so one might say, "You can tell by the way he speaks that he is proper."

Well, I talk in conversation. Speaking is when you are at a podium. Even if it is one not the other it is not "acting white."
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2021 at 4:05:25 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman

Well, I talk in conversation. Speaking is when you are at a podium. Even if it is one not the other it is not "acting white."

I'm going to let you off with just a warning this time. Carry on talking, citizen.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 3 of 3<123