Political division" the beginning of the end?

Page 1 of 3123>
July 8th, 2021 at 10:10:32 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The ever-increasing political division in the USA today seems a harbinger of the beginning of the end for this once great country.

It has gotten so bad that families are bitterly divided, needed legislation cannot move forward, and there is no common consensus as to what goals America should aim at.

Meanwhile China is ascending, Russia is clawing its way back, and we lost yet another unwinnable war, this time in Afghanistan.

Four years of Trump and his weird policies left erstwhile allies dazed and confused and caused the ship of state to veer wildly off course.

It doesn't bode well for the future: we need to find something to bring us together.

Historically war did that, but at what cost?
July 8th, 2021 at 10:27:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
The ever-increasing political division in the USA today seems a harbinger of the beginning of the end for this once great country.

It has gotten so bad that families are bitterly divided, needed legislation cannot move forward, and there is no common consensus as to what goals America should aim at.

Meanwhile China is ascending, Russia is clawing its way back, and we lost yet another unwinnable war, this time in Afghanistan.

Four years of Trump and his weird policies left erstwhile allies dazed and confused and caused the ship of state to veer wildly off course.

It doesn't bode well for the future: we need to find something to bring us together.

"Weird policies?" You mean putting America first? His policies were just what was normal pre-1990s.

China has already passed their peak, too many demographic problems. Same with Russia.

But yes, the USA will be gone by the 2060s. Too much internal division. Too many on the left putting being in power before the good of the country. Too many people wanting to have us live off old wealth instead of making new wealth.

It was fun while it lasted.
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 10:54:32 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: AZDuffman
Too many on the left putting being in power before the good of the country.

Good joke!
Do you know any more like that.
July 8th, 2021 at 10:56:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Yawn
Another one convinced by the right news hate machine that the world is ending.
Got about 10 to 20 years left
Gonna travel around this great country and try to see everything
Reality
People overall get along
I've made lots of friends in lots of campgrounds
Even Trumpers
As travelling americans comparing notes on our travels, we have a lot in common and can laugh together.
Life is good
Just booked a dinosaur excavation tour.
Very excited

I did talk to one Trumper. He was bunkering down. He said with Biden President, he's afraid he will run into a left wing BLM traffic blockade and he may get violent.
I laughed
Greater chance of being hit by lightning then being stopped at a political traffic blockade.
Too funny how many Trumpers hitting the bunker afraid to go out. DUMB
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 8th, 2021 at 11:07:04 AM permalink
terapined

Many countries are united in the war against the virus such as Taiwan.
It's not political there
Trump had his chance to unite the country against the virus. He chose politics instead
The virus is very political in this country
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 8th, 2021 at 11:20:49 AM permalink
terapined
In my lifetime
The late 60's and early 70's were a lot more decisive
I remember anti war marches
Parents in DC suburbs where I lived telling kids not to go to DC to protest, too dangerous after seeing the Chicago police riots. Conservatives screaming "Love it or leave it"
July 8th, 2021 at 11:25:14 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

Whatever that something is, we won't find it here at DT.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 8th, 2021 at 11:29:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Unlike the last civil war, the ocean barrier is pretty inconsequential to major powers seeking to cause even more chaos. Sounds odd to say, but infighting would be extremely harmful, unless you want to speak Russian or Chinese eventually, or both.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 8th, 2021 at 11:46:55 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
In my lifetime
The late 60's and early 70's were a lot more decisive
I remember anti war marches
Parents in DC suburbs where I lived telling kids not to go to DC to protest, too dangerous after seeing the Chicago police riots. Conservatives screaming "Love it or leave it"

I don't agree the hippies at least thought thought they were about love and talked the talk, the odd riot not withstanding. Now we have the left spewing the hate and wanting to throw the right in jail. The reverse of the 60's.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 8th, 2021 at 12:03:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: OnceDear
Good joke!
Do you know any more like that.

Well, people thinking Kamala was chosen on something besides gender and skin color is a bunch of laughs.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>