License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 30th, 2017 at 7:12:35 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
I used to live in an apartment almost next to the SSA building. Then I moved a little further away, near Security Blvd and Rolling Road. I'm still not sure what the name of the neighborhood was. I think the post office associated my zip code, 21244, with Gwynn Oak, which nobody ever actually called it by.

Lived in Baltimore 1965 to 1970, Columbia MD 1970 to 2003.
I used to issue paper airline tickets on a remote machine at the SSA building in Woodlawn.
About 1993 to about 1996
We had the contract to book and ticket SSA employee business travel
I had a lot of problems with that machine at SSA
Finally had a tech go over there to take a look at it and see what's going on.
Tech said somebody spilled coffee on it and some got inside gumming it up :-(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2017 at 8:45:02 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
I used to live in an apartment almost next to the SSA building. Then I moved a little further away, near Security Blvd and Rolling Road. I'm still not sure what the name of the neighborhood was. I think the post office associated my zip code, 21244, with Gwynn Oak, which nobody ever actually called it by.

I hate to bet the over on myself. You could accuse me of deliberately throwing my time to win the bet.

Mike, you know me better than that ! Never had anything but respect for your integrity, especially in honoring a bet.
Babs suspended me for referring researching Safety's in Super Bowls. I am a big Louis Lamour fan and can only say
" That gal rides for the brand "
I just don't see anyway your time in Biking will be over 4:30, that's all. Looked like an easy $20. EvenBob pm'd me, wanting half
my action.
January 30th, 2017 at 8:56:43 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Had you been born and raised in Baltimore, you might have gone to Gwynn Oak amusement park. It was was the site of protests against racial segregation, due to a whites-only admissions policy. Closed in 1973 but the original Carousel in at the National Mall in DC. My cousin Cookie lived next to it. EvenBob always after me because she was a Annette Funicello look-alike. A Miss USO in the 60's. My first crush, but Fr Gamble knows Catholics can't marry first cousins , so I was DOA. Sigh. Her son Spike sent me some pix a few months back. I had googled Cookie hoping to see her again. Up popped her obituary. SIGH Spike sent me pix of Cookies daughter, a look alike. Though next time I was back there, I would see her, tell her how great her Mom was.
Well, I forgive Spike now. How could he how warned me, turned pix over, found her daughter committed suicide 6 months after Cookie left this veil of tears. Yeah, Suicide is not approved by Catholic Church.
Think I will suspend me for a few days, you know, just for being an old man rambling on and on and on.
January 31st, 2017 at 8:01:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: buzzardknot
Mike, you know me better than that ! Never had anything but respect for your integrity, especially in honoring a bet.

Thank you for the kind words. What I meant was I don't like to be incentivized (why doesn't my spell checker like that spelling) to do badly? The truth is, if I may toot my own horn, you're probably right. I usually set easy bars to jump over, because I don't want to disappoint myself.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 31st, 2017 at 8:19:20 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: buzzardknot
Babs suspended me for referring researching Safety's in Super Bowls. I am a big Louis Lamour fan and can only say
" That gal rides for the brand "
I just don't see anyway your time in Biking will be over 4:30, that's all. Looked like an easy $20. EvenBob pm'd me, wanting half
my action.

Isn't it a suspendable action to reveal what was in a PM? :D
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 31st, 2017 at 9:13:31 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Quote: TheCesspit
Isn't it a suspendable action to reveal what was in a PM? :D

I am already on self imposed suspension. But had to respond, because there might be some people , like the minority owner of WOV, on here who do not have a sense of humor. EvenBob did not pm me. DUH
February 2nd, 2017 at 11:32:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Here is something you don't see every day, a #1 Vermont license plate from 1913. Nice condition too.

Link to auction.
February 2nd, 2017 at 11:45:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Here is something you don't see every day, a #1 Vermont license plate from 1913. Nice condition too.

Link to auction.

Governor or someone special?
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2017 at 9:02:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Governor or someone special?

Good question. I tend to think it was just whoever registered his car first in Vermont. Giving the governor the number 1 plate wasn't a custom until later in most states. However, Vermont plates are not my strong point. If it were an California or Nevada plate, I'd be getting ready to bid the price of a small house for it.
February 3rd, 2017 at 12:09:28 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Good question. I tend to think it was just whoever registered his car first in Vermont. Giving the governor the number 1 plate wasn't a custom until later in most states. However, Vermont plates are not my strong point. If it were an California or Nevada plate, I'd be getting ready to bid the price of a small house for it.
What is the premium for low or "special" numbers? How much would a "regular" plate in similar condition go for?