2021 Deadpool

Thread Rating:

April 28th, 2021 at 2:12:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Michael Collins, 90. The Apollo 11 astronaut who did not walk on the moon. Maybe the loneliest mission ever. Alone in the command module 250,000 miles from earth. He was even cut off from radio for part of his orbit when he was on the backside. Here is a quote from his book that conveys the weight of responsibility he felt.

I tried to tell my children what it was like to see those Apollo missions through the eyes of a child, but I couldn't find the words to convey the sense of wonder. Still can't.

I'm in awe that this was accomplished with 1960's tech
Amazing achievement considering we never went back after the Apollo program
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2021 at 10:25:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
John Crawford

Otherwise known as the kid who played Chuck Conner’s son on “The Rifleman”.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2021 at 8:51:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
John Crawford

You mean Johnny Crawford. He was 75. His daddy
killed a couple men in every episode and that
was considered good healthy family TV by
the Catholic Church. There was no sex and no
swearing, just lots of killing which was just fine
with the church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 3rd, 2021 at 11:30:17 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Bobby Unser, winner of the 1968, 1975 and 1981 Indianapolis 500s. 87
The Unsers live in Albuquerque and when I lived there as a kid they were local heroes. When the Indy 500 came around the playground discussion was about which was your favorite, Bobby or Al. We didn't care about anyone named Foyt or Andretti.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 3rd, 2021 at 12:21:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford
Bobby Unser, winner of the 1968, 1975 and 1981 Indianapolis 500s. 87
The Unsers live in Albuquerque and when I lived there as a kid they were local heroes. When the Indy 500 came around the playground discussion was about which was your favorite, Bobby or Al. We didn't care about anyone named Foyt or Andretti.

Paul Newman got involved with racing in 1972 after making a movie where he was a nobody who went on to win the Indianapolis 500. Newman knew all those guys on the first name basis ,he loved racing far more than he loved acting. To him acting was just a job and racing was his passion. I really liked Paul Newman as an actor but after seeing him on several talk shows in the later decades he didn't strike me as somebody who was really all that bright. He was a jock, like most race car drivers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 3rd, 2021 at 12:36:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
You mean Johnny Crawford. He was 75. His daddy
killed a couple men in every episode and that
was considered good healthy family TV by
the Catholic Church. There was no sex and no
swearing, just lots of killing which was just fine
with the church.
The first thing that struck me about all of these deaths was, hmmmm, that had something to do with the Catholic Church. I think all these people would still be alive in fact if that church would back off
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 3rd, 2021 at 1:43:43 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
The first thing that struck me about all of these deaths was, hmmmm, that had something to do with the Catholic Church. I think all these people would still be alive in fact if that church would back off

Even more shocking
People gather to pray and are stomped to death because too many want to pray in a small space
WTF. Insanity

Israel mourns deaths of 45 in stampede at religious festival
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 3rd, 2021 at 4:48:28 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Even more shocking
People gather to pray and are stomped to death because too many want to pray in a small space
WTF. Insanity

Israel mourns deaths of 45 in stampede at religious festival
Saw that, another reminder to play close attention to whether good crowd control practices are in place and the wisdom, really, of putting yourself in "situations" with that kind of potential in the first place. My idea of where I want to be usually revolves around finding a place with almost no people there at all.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 3rd, 2021 at 5:05:35 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
Saw that, another reminder to play close attention to whether good crowd control practices are in place and the wisdom, really, of putting yourself in "situations" with that kind of potential in the first place. My idea of where I want to be usually revolves around finding a place with almost no people there at all.

There is talk that officials are too lenient towards the Orthodox due to their political power and don't want to be seen as anti religious.
Really sad
Officials afraid of enforcing safety due to politics and religion
And
Of course these religious nuts in charge bear responsibility
How does religion top safety?????????
May 3rd, 2021 at 5:31:59 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined

How does religion top safety?????????

Religion always tops safety. How many soldiers have died in religious wars let alone the civilian collateral damage.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin