Merry Christmas trivia

Page 1 of 41234>
December 24th, 2020 at 5:00:25 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Merry Christmas everyone! Following the lead of the Wiz here is a few trivia questions for ya:

1. What does the name Bethlehem mean?
2. From which house or tribe of Israel do the prophets Nathan, Isaiah, and others say the Messiah will come from?
3. What does the Immaculate Conception refer to?
4. Who is the forerunner of Jesus and whose prophetic spirit is he said to have?
5. Was Jesus' place of birth a cave or a manger?
6. How long is the Christmas season? What is the end of the Christmas season?
7. What special Feast Days are celebrated the three days immediately after Christmas?
8. What is the first Sunday after Christmas called?
9. What are the three gifts the Magi bring and what are their significance?
10. Who are Mary's parents?
11. What does Emmanuel mean?
12. Which prophet predicts a Virgin birth?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 24th, 2020 at 5:56:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
Merry Christmas everyone! Following the lead of the Wiz here is a few trivia questions for ya:

Pass

2. From which house or tribe of Israel do the prophets Nathan, Isaiah, and others say the Messiah will come from?

Pass

Mary giving birth to Jesus while remaining a virgin. IIRC she was visited by angels but said "no" to their offer initially because she took a lifetime celibacy vow. Then they explained it would be God causing the conception.

4. Who is the forerunner of Jesus and whose prophetic spirit is he said to have?

John the Baptist and Elijah?

Neither. He was laid in a manger, which is a trough the animals eat and drink from. He was born in a stable I was told.
BONUS TRIVIA: They say "there was no room for them at the inn" and this has lead who knows how many school plays showing a hotelier saying "NO VACANCY" and turning them away. Reality is "inn" more meant the house of Joseph's relatives. So it would be more like if you came to my place to stay but all the bedrooms were full and I said, "but I have a cot out on the garage."

I am assuming you mean by the Catholic Church calendar and not some song. I will not peek but I will say 40 days? IIRC there were 5 weeks of Christmas as they announced before Mass.

7. What special Feast Days are celebrated the three days immediately after Christmas?
Pass

The Holy Day was "Mary, Mother of God" I believe. Or is it "Solemnity of Mary?" I remember it called the former in Catholic school so perhaps that was the Vatican II name?

Gold, Frankensense, and Muhr (sp?) Not sure the significance

With God as my witness I honestly never remember this being discussed!

Not sure but a guess of "savior" based on the words in "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" when they say "save captive Israel." I think it was "save." Been a few years and sorry but I hated singing as a kid.

I am guessing Elijah but only because he is about the most famous.

Hope I did well, Merry Christmas, Padre.
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2020 at 6:13:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If I cross it out it means I don't have an answer, otherwise my answer in italics

David
that Mary is sinless, doesn't mean anything about impregnation
hopefully not a trick question... manger
12 days and Christmas day crossed that latter guess out and changing answer to three days after it!
Myrrh and Frankincense are two, thank you spellcheck
son of God or something similar

Recently learned that the birth of Jesus was not a specific holiday for the first 3 centuries of Christianity; Constantine made it the 25th of Dec. and it was because "choosing this date had the political motive of weakening the established pagan celebrations." [from brittanica.com]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 24th, 2020 at 6:30:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman

Neither. He was laid in a manger, which is a trough the animals eat and drink from. He was born in a stable I was told.
but our choices were only cave or manger. Having a ridiculous image in my head now of delivery into a manger.
Quote:
BONUS TRIVIA: They say "there was no room for them at the inn" and this has lead who knows how many school plays showing a hotelier saying "NO VACANCY" and turning them away. Reality is "inn" more meant the house of Joseph's relatives. So it would be more like if you came to my place to stay but all the bedrooms were full and I said, "but I have a cot out on the garage."
Such oddities of the story start way further back than that, such as what in the world were they thinking, traveling with her about to give birth. The explanation that they had to travel because of a census, well, something is missing here.

Of course higher criticism hasn't been too friendly to the whole story, but you have to give the religion credit for creating one that still has a powerful impact.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 24th, 2020 at 7:11:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
but our choices were only cave or manger. Having a ridiculous image in my head now of delivery into a manger.

How many caves are there in the Middle East?

The verse goes something like "and lay him in a manger." But all my life I have heard it called a "manger scene" when it should be "nativity scene."

As to the Date of December 25 I was always told it was because when Christianity was still a persecuted religion they put it at a time when the pagan religions were drunk and rowdy from their celebrations.

Other thing is the year. I was told we set the years because some Pope decided Jesus being the center of life means start counting the years then. They missed and he was really born about 5-7 BC. But amazing a Pope could do that by decree.
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2020 at 8:14:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I will try to do from memory, but it is very rusty.

House of Bread
Judea
It is not the Virgin birth. It refers to Mary's conception.
John the Baptist
Cave
?
Wise Men
?
Frankinsence, Incense, and Myrh
?
?
Isiah

December 24th, 2020 at 8:44:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think Paco is in the lead so far with 3.5 answers correct.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 24th, 2020 at 12:32:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Great quiz, padre! Some pretty tough ones there. Here is the best I can do. Let me know what my penance is for what is probably a lousy showing.

1. ?
2. Hillel (just a guess)
3. The conception of Mary.
4. Elijah (guess)
5. Manger
6. I didn't know this was an official thing. I'll say two weeks.
7. ?
8. ?
9. Frankenscence, Myrh, ? Don't know the significance. I heard perfume was very expensive back then, so that would have been a very extravagant gift.
10. Anne is the mother, don't know the father.
11. ?
12. Isiah (guess)
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 24th, 2020 at 1:32:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

A myth

Why is Mary still referred to as a virgin when she had a
bunch of other kids besides Jesus. Odds of her being a
virgin when Jesus was born are zero.

Why. It's a fact Jesus wasn't born there for a myriad of reasons.
It's just another myth they made up to fulfill a prophesy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2020 at 1:46:21 PM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob

A myth, lots of the in mythology.

Why is Mary still referred to as a virgin when she had a
bunch of other kids besides Jesus. Odds of her being a
virgin when Jesus was born are zero.

Why. It's a fact Jesus wasn't born there for a myriad of reasons.
It's just another myth they made up to fulfill a prophesy.

I bet you're a blast at parties.
Page 1 of 41234>