Stop the Steal!

Thread Rating:

December 13th, 2020 at 7:18:51 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Keep up the good work, Shrek.

Your “dispatches from Earth 2” are giving us libbies life.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 13th, 2020 at 7:19:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
What is the next card Trump will attempt to play?

The odds on Trump winning have just fallen from 5.3% to 3.8%. I've been keeping track of the odds since the first polls closed.

Betting article coming soon to WoV! Probably tomorrow.

He doesn't really have much left except the results getting challenged in Congress in January. That requires a written challenge from one member of each body of Congress, at which point both bodies will retire to their houses for deliberations that can take no more than two hours (for each challenge) in which no person can speak for longer than five minutes.

There have been two such challenges in our history. One pertained to the 1968 Election and the other pertained to the 2004 Election.

The 1968 one would not have changed the result. Of North Carolina's 13 Electoral Votes, there was one faithless elector who cast his vote for George Wallace rather than Richard Nixon because he believed the people in his area had voted more for Wallace. This Electoral Vote would have had no impact on the final outcome, as Nixon won by a significant Electoral margin.

This Electoral vote was challenged and deliberations were had. The conclusion was that the Constitution does not forbid faithless electors and that North Carolina had no state law forbidding faithless electors, so the Electoral Vote for Wallace was allowed to stand. (North Carolina now has a law that a Faithless Elector will be replaced with a different elector who will vote for the state's popular vote winner.)

In 2004, there could have been an impact on the result. Citing voting discrepancies in the State of Ohio, California Senator Barbara Boxer (D) joined a Representative from the State of Ohio in challenging all 20 of Ohio's Electoral votes. There were also unsuccessful lawsuits and recount demands within the State of Ohio prior to this----just to emphasize that challenging election results is nothing new.

In any event, Boxer would be the only Senator to vote in favor of throwing the votes out, though several Representatives did. Either way, the challenge failed by a huge margin in both houses.

A successful effort would have caused George W. Bush not to have the majority of the Electoral Votes, so the result would have been the states voting (each state effectively gets one vote) for the President amongst the three highest Electoral College vote earners.

There were three. Bush, Democratic Nominee John Kerry....and strangely, VP Nominee John Edwards, who received a vote from a faithless elector in Minnesota...for whatever reason.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 13th, 2020 at 7:20:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
What I'm really delighting in is all the rightwinger talking heads who confidently stated how much legal merit this case had.

Even if SCOTUS had heard it, I imagine it would have been tossed on the basis of laches.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 13th, 2020 at 7:22:25 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Tripdufan
lol

The good news for Republicans, states rights prevailed. You guys can celebrate this even though your dictator is getting his a** kicked.

TGIF!

Republicans stopped being in favor of states rights decades ago. Us Libertarians are happy with this decision, though.
December 13th, 2020 at 8:27:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
Quote: Wizard
What is the next card Trump will attempt to play?

The odds on Trump winning have just fallen from 5.3% to 3.8%. I've been keeping track of the odds since the first polls closed.

Betting article coming soon to WoV! Probably tomorrow.

He doesn't really have much left except the results getting challenged in Congress in January. That requires a written challenge from one member of each body of Congress, at which point both bodies will retire to their houses for deliberations that can take no more than two hours (for each challenge)

Welcome back Mission
This will probably happen as Trump will demand a loyalty test from the what used to be Republican party which is now the Trump party
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2020 at 8:44:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined

Welcome back Mission
This will probably happen as Trump will demand a loyalty test from the what used to be Republican party which is now the Trump party

Thanks! It's almost certain not to change anything as Democrats control the House of Representatives and Republicans do not control the Senate by very much. As of right now, no Republican Senator has directly stated that they would join in a challenge...and it does require one member of each body.

If it happens, then I expect that the challenges will fail, but not by as much as those in 1969 ('68 Election) and 2005 ('04 Election) did. There are many Representatives for whom it will be beneficial to show absolute loyalty to Trump...and probably some who legitimately believe that the results are illegitimate and should be thrown out.
December 13th, 2020 at 9:37:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
This is rich
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2020 at 11:13:02 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Shrek
This is perfect. Everything is going as planned!

But again, this is all perfectly fine because everything is going smoothly.

Trump is currently trying to run out the clock before he takes the game winning shot at the buzzer.

Trump is also doing a little rope-a-dope to make the libbies THINK they're winning. And it's working LOL!! 😂😂
December 13th, 2020 at 11:23:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Ha ha, Reno, I also thought of posting the Black Knight meme.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 13th, 2020 at 12:03:00 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
I see a bunch of blocked members posted immediately after I did lol...

So I guess my latest truth bomb was right on target. 😂😂

Actually, I probably shouldn't say that. Because libbies don't even bother to read the truth.
You can speak the truth right in front of their faces, and they just do this: