Rights From Wrongs

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
September 27th, 2020 at 4:20:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
This thread is a book discussion that anyone is welcome to join!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 27th, 2020 at 4:37:16 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I like Dershowit, particularly on his Israel works, but I have not read this book and know nothing about it.

Is there a particular reason you started a thread for this book?
Is there something in this book that is controversial?
September 28th, 2020 at 6:26:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
I find the whole idea that there are secular origins for morality controversial. It came up multiple times in another thread and we decided doing a book discussion would be a good idea, so here we go. I'm still waiting for my copy but I think the others already have it. We should start in earnest soon. I hope it is a good discussion.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 28th, 2020 at 6:36:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: FrGamble
I find the whole idea that there are secular origins for morality controversial

I dont
I'm an atheist
Hardcore
My entire life
My gather was a geologist. Science ruled our house
I have very high morals
Kindness is one of my key traits
I have lots of compassion
Morality comes from the heart.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2020 at 8:33:48 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I have been suggesting this book in the "Hey FrGamble" thread for ages and so far, FrGamble, EB and I are all going to read it and discuss (once their copies of the book arrive) and, as the padre stated, the more the merrier
September 28th, 2020 at 8:38:19 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I find the whole idea that there are secular origins for morality controversial. It came up multiple times in another thread and we decided doing a book discussion would be a good idea, so here we go. I'm still waiting for my copy but I think the others already have it. We should start in earnest soon. I hope it is a good discussion.

I read the Moral Landscape by Sam Harris (big fan of him) some years back. And, this sounds like it may cover similar themes.

I am not sure the orgins of morality are all that relevant (in my view).
But, I think that ethical questions can be answered by secular society based on principles of well-being (of yourself, others, and society as a whole).

I may see if the book is on Kindle, to see what arguments it makes, sounds like this could be an interesting discussion.
September 28th, 2020 at 9:05:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler

I may see if the book is on Kindle, to see what arguments it makes, sounds like this could be an interesting discussion.

Not on Kindle, get it from Ebay
used for about $4.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 29th, 2020 at 8:42:03 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Does everyone have the book yet that wants to read and discuss?
September 29th, 2020 at 9:08:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
I just got it and will start reading it soon. How about we share our thoughts about the fist chapter on Firday?
September 30th, 2020 at 9:37:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just got it and will start reading it soon. How about we share our thoughts about the fist chapter on Firday?

Naw. I just tried to PM you a question
and you have me blocked. I have no
interest in this project if you're so
petty minded as to have me blocked
after 6 years of discussions. You guys
carry on without me, I won't be reading
the thread.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »