SCOTUS Vacancy

September 22nd, 2020 at 5:09:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
I mean, if there were job gains under Obama (which there were) that's theoretically fewer jobs that could be gained under Trump. Therefore, I would suggest that the numbers don't represent a failing or underperformance of any kind (in this regard) just that there was less room for improvement than there was during Obama.

I will keep saying it. The employment/placement industry had their phones ring off the hook by the Thursday after the election. Place I worked at we lost our outsource contract because they took the work back in-house. Total "new sheriff in town" feel. Look at the market boom. Night of elections DOW futures were cratering, because it was all overseas traders. By mid morning it was all recovered and then lots more.

Obama was kind of like a bad salesman selling a hot product. Some people will buy no matter what. The economy will move along no matter what. That is what happened under Obama.

I'm not going to bother to debate against this because I don't believe there is any hope for you to post objectively on this matter. Trump is directly and solely responsible for the economy booming, but Obama had a hot product that was going to churn along no matter what.

It's the funniest thing I've ever heard, mostly, because it had very little to do with either of them.

I'll say it again in the simple words I used two months ago:

ECONOMY:

If good job Obama, then good job Trump.

If good job Trump, then good job Obama.

If bad job either, then bad job both.

I mean, you literally have economic trends doing the same thing under both, yet one is responsible for the positive trends and the other is not? That's just laughable.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 22nd, 2020 at 5:35:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

I'm not going to bother to debate against this because I don't believe there is any hope for you to post objectively on this matter. Trump is directly and solely responsible for the economy booming, but Obama had a hot product that was going to churn along no matter what.

It's the funniest thing I've ever heard, mostly, because it had very little to do with either of them.

I'll say it again in the simple words I used two months ago:

ECONOMY:

If good job Obama, then good job Trump.

If good job Trump, then good job Obama.

If bad job either, then bad job both.

I mean, you literally have economic trends doing the same thing under both, yet one is responsible for the positive trends and the other is not? That's just laughable.

Obama had the weakest recovery since WWII. He had half of all months of >7% unemployment of all POTUS in that period. He did not want to drill for oil and gas, said it would not help. Effectively, everything that happened to grow the economy happened in spite of him, not because of him.

Other than the meth of low interest rates I cannot think of a policy of his that worked. I remember his "green jobs" training. Some people believed it and got some "certification" that was nothing but learning how to caulk windows and add insulation. These people thought it was some hot thing, but contractors laughed at it.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2020 at 7:09:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: terapined
What frightens me about a right wing court
Shoving religion down my throat by making abortion illegal

Overturning Roe would not make abortion illegal.

Also there have been majority conservative or Republican nominees of the court and no such thing happened. The answer to the abortion question is not going to be determined by law or the courts but by a conversion of hearts in this country. We need to understand the science that human life begins in the womb, where it did for all of us. We also need to see the equal dignity of every human person and no longer feel that human beings are disposable. Finally, we need to understand the consequences and change our thinking about a sex saturated culture. None of these things are going to happen because the Supreme Court overturns Roe, which they should do regardless of their thinking on abortion because it is just a bad decision.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 22nd, 2020 at 7:25:17 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
*EXCERPT*Overturning Roe would not make abortion illegal..

While the Padre and I do not agree on much, we do agree that overturning Roe v Wade would not make abortion illegal - it would return the legality of abortion to the individual states to determine
September 22nd, 2020 at 7:48:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Mitt Romney says he will support voting for the SC nominee this year.

At this point, this is going to radicalize the left the way the Kavanaugh confirmation radicalized the right (it also radicalized pro-rape men of all political persuasions, but that’s not relevant now).

If the Dems take the presidency and the Senate this year, the court will be expanded. No bellyaching if that happens, righties.... You break it, you bought it!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 22nd, 2020 at 7:51:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FrGamble
Overturning Roe would not make abortion illegal

Correct. At most there could be a "dormant law" issue where if Roe is overturned an old law banning it comes back into effect. Similar to how in the 1990s and the national speed limit was removed old speed laws just came back in many states. I doubt it though and am sure if it was an issue the states would clean the laws up.

Quote:
Also there have been majority conservative or Republican nominees of the court and no such thing happened. The answer to the abortion question is not going to be determined by law or the courts but by a conversion of hearts in this country. We need to understand the science that human life begins in the womb, where it did for all of us. We also need to see the equal dignity of every human person and no longer feel that human beings are disposable. Finally, we need to understand the consequences and change our thinking about a sex saturated culture. None of these things are going to happen because the Supreme Court overturns Roe, which they should do regardless of their thinking on abortion because it is just a bad decision.

The "you need to believe in science" crowd always chooses to ignore this science. On these boards they refused to do so when I pointed it out. One even said that means a sperm cell is "life" in their crazy defense. I keep saying science says life begins at conception and we can have a morality discussion about abortion afterwards, but the science is clear.

And that they made the "then a sperm is life" argument shows how many in the pro-abortion crowd cannot handle the morality part of things. Deep down they know life starts at conception but want to hide from it. It does not fit their argument.

I will keep saying the big thing. A high abortion rate is a sign of a sickly society. Banning abortion will not cure things, the society will still be sickly and declining. But it is something people should look at.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2020 at 8:40:24 AM permalink
aceofspades
Article from the UK advising that Biden should reveal that he will nominate Stacey Abrams for the SCOTUS

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/biden-ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-nominee-stacey-abrams-trump-mitch-mcconnell-b514443.html
September 22nd, 2020 at 8:44:35 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
Article from the UK advising that Biden should reveal that he will nominate Stacey Abrams for the SCOTUS

WTF?
LOL
Biden is not President
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 22nd, 2020 at 8:49:16 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: terapined
WTF?
LOL
Biden is not President

Yes, I realize that - they want him to reveal that he would nominate her should he become POTUS
September 22nd, 2020 at 9:00:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: aceofspades

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/biden-ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-nominee-stacey-abrams-trump-mitch-mcconnell-b514443.html

What experience does she even have being a judge?
The President is a fink.