No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

June 9th, 2020 at 7:45:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
It all starts when you don't treat the police with respect even if they don't deserve it. My grandson lives with us and several years ago he and 2 friends came home and my wife and I are out. They try the front door of the condo and it is locked. The 3 of them then go around and down to the basement door. We had a key hidden there which he gets unlocks the door and they go into the condo. Some nosy neighbour phones the police about kids breaking in...

(Quote intentionally clipped)

...and that's when the problems started.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 9th, 2020 at 8:10:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
It's like the point RonC made about the initial reason for the pullover. I got pulled over once for giving a cop the brights, but I was coming around a bend on a winding hill and had no way to know he was there...which is the precise reason I had the brights on...so I wouldn't hit any deer for failing to see them!

Anyway, it was a reasonable cause for a stop. I pulled over on the street a half mile after he started tailing me. I presented my ID when asked. He asked why I was going around giving people the brights and I explained myself. He said I shouldn't go around with my brights on anymore because he apparently had the IQ of a turnip, but in any case, did not ticket me. He was also upset I waited so long to pull over, so I asked him, "Would you prefer in the middle of the road on a hill?"

Probably just a convenient excuse for a DWY (Driving While Young) stop. Everyone goes on that hill with the brights, and sometimes people get flashed, but everybody knows why it happens and there's nothing malicious behind it.

And how you handled it is why you did not end up arrested, injured, or dead. While you can get a total jerk of a cop you still have to be polite. Explain. At the worst you take the pinch and fight it in court if you like. One thing I see in common on traffic stops with a major complaint is the perp got out of the car. You never, ever do that unless ordered to do so. It is a threat to the cop and if you are inside the car you can let the car protect you if things go bad.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2020 at 8:14:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I remember the 90's. I lived such that everyone knew everyone else on the block by first name. The parents would have little hangout factions, of course, people they liked better than others. A few folks were related to others on the block. There was only one house where the parents routinely argued with the other neighbors, and even then, they were nice to all of the kids. You know the type. They have an outside dog and, when that dog barks, not a problem...but the neighbors' dogs all bark three times louder (despite being mostly inside dogs) if you ask them and do it, 'All hours of the night,' despite being inside dogs and everyone (including the dogs themselves) is asleep.

I think partisanship is partially responsible because you have a bunch of folks wearing their politics on their sleeve, in some cases literally, or wearing their politics on their heads, again, MAGA. Oh, here's a Republican, I don't want to talk to him. Oh, this guy has nerdy looking thick black glasses, must be one of those far left folks, don't want to talk to him. Oh, this guy has a Trump yard sign, must be an @$$hol3, that sort of thing.

I do not think it is nearly that with partisanship. It is about a different kind of lifestyle. There was an email chain letter back when they were a thing saying you knew you were in the 90s because "you had an online friend in Japan but do not know your next door neighbor." Again, this is because inside the house is so comfortable you do not go outside. Also the trend to postage-stamp lots where there is no yard work anymore.

Just changing times.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2020 at 8:33:25 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
How about the black guy in Austin driving and did not dim his lights as a cop drives by
Cop immediately did a U turn and started chasing
Such a minor infraction but the cop needed to entertain his passengers, Live PD video show
Anyway the black driver died while in custody after being tased about 4 times
A dead black motorist over failing to dim lights

Black man heard saying 'I can't breathe' multiple times during fatal arrest in Texas, body camera video shows
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/austin-texas-police-fatal-arrest/index.html

A tragedy, to be sure...but there is way more to it than just a guy who didn't dim his headlights.

He was being pulled over for a legitimate reason. Idiots who don't dim their lights temporarily blind oncoming motorists or cause them to look away from the roadway. If he had stopped, he might have been harassed (as I mentioned in a less confrontational example) which would be wrong...just deal with the matter and move on...instead he ran.

Adrenaline follows for all and his ticker couldn't take it. I guess the police could have been savants and known his medical condition but the video does not clearly show any way of them knowing...and they had a fleeing suspect.

The case will go to a Grand Jury, so we will see how it turns out.

The simple answer is this...don't speed away when an officer tries to stop you. You've gone from possibly getting a ticket to committing a felony and endangering the lives of the people involved.

I know if I run from the police, my butt will be on my belly and handcuffed. Then we can get back to the original violation.

I guess we could just let people get away, but there is a little history of people running because...they need to run....
June 9th, 2020 at 8:53:33 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
And how you handled it is why you did not end up arrested, injured, or dead. While you can get a total jerk of a cop you still have to be polite. Explain. At the worst you take the pinch and fight it in court if you like. One thing I see in common on traffic stops with a major complaint is the perp got out of the car. You never, ever do that unless ordered to do so. It is a threat to the cop and if you are inside the car you can let the car protect you if things go bad.

By, 'Fight,' I assume you mean, "Go to Municipal Court and lose unless the cop straight up doesn't show up because the primary function of the Municipal 'Judge' is the collection of money for the jurisdiction in question. Ergo, you're guilty."

Anyway, my goal is just not to end up paying any money, so you hope to get off with a, 'Warning.' A 'Warning,' being, "I liked interacting with you well enough that this meeting is not going to cost you any money." I think being white quite probably means they are more inclined to have a favorable view of my behavior...especially in that particular town.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 9th, 2020 at 10:46:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
By, 'Fight,' I assume you mean, "Go to Municipal Court and lose unless the cop straight up doesn't show up because the primary function of the Municipal 'Judge' is the collection of money for the jurisdiction in question. Ergo, you're guilty."

Something along those lines. Always the chance the judge is in a good mood or the DA offers a deal.

Quote:
Anyway, my goal is just not to end up paying any money, so you hope to get off with a, 'Warning.' A 'Warning,' being, "I liked interacting with you well enough that this meeting is not going to cost you any money." I think being white quite probably means they are more inclined to have a favorable view of my behavior...especially in that particular town.

Being white may or may not help. Being polite helps. I used to work at a place had a DUI law practice. One case a guy was pulled over and it was borderline, the cop was going to let him off. But his crazy sister got out of the car and started mouthing off in a very big way. She got a public drunkenness or DC charge (forget which) and her brother got the DUI.

The guy and his sister were white.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2020 at 11:04:57 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
My underlying probabilistic assumption is based on the highly white and highly religious demographic representation of the jurisdiction in question.
June 9th, 2020 at 11:40:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
I do not have a neighbor I trust.

We moved to the country in
1960, 60 years ago this week.
We knew all our neighbors,
well. We depended on each
other for a cup of sugar or
a loaf of bread, or a car jump
in the winter. If a wife needed
something and was out of it,
she didn't have a car to run to
the market. So she walked over
and borrowed it.

That all slowly changed to now
I have no idea who my neighbors
are and don't want to know.
Every fam has 2-3 cars, and ways
to get things delivered we could
only dream about in the 60's.

We went back east every summer
and never locked our house, we
didn't have a key to unlock it.
Never gave it a second thought.
You tell that to people and they
think you're lying, they have
no idea what life was like when
you didn't have to look over your
shoulder 24/7. When you didn't
need LifeLock, or home cameras
or alarm systems.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2020 at 12:24:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
We went back east every summer
and never locked our house, we
didn't have a key to unlock it.
Never gave it a second thought.
You tell that to people and they
think you're lying, they have
no idea what life was like when
you didn't have to look over your
shoulder 24/7. When you didn't
need LifeLock, or home cameras
or alarm systems.
I came back from working out of town to my house and there was a note on the door. It said, "we noticed your front door was open for a week so we closed it", signed the neighbor.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 9th, 2020 at 12:47:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I came back from working out of town to my house and there was a note on the door. It said, "we noticed your front door was open for a week so we closed it", signed the neighbor.

It started to change in the 80's
and only got worse. Drug abuse
rose and with it petty crime
to sustain the habit. It's an
epidemic now, with no signs
of getting better. It's OK to go
thru life high as a kite and never
have a job. It's kids raised by
the kids of baby boomers.
Millennials.

They say Boomers were the first
American kids to have an actual
childhood. Before the war, most
people still lived on farms and
the kids had real work to do
every day. After the war there
was a huge explosion in the
suburbs and kids had wayyyy too
much time on their hands to get
spoiled rotten. And it's been passed
down thru the generations.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.