No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

October 20th, 2020 at 12:10:06 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
I realize that ballots have a tracking number but with in person ballots the foil number is removed in your presence before it goes in the ballot box leaving the ballot untraceable. When is the foil removed from a mail-in? I would be concerned about the privacy of the process that tracks down your mail-in ballot.

For a mail-in ballot, the ballot is returned in a "secrecy sleeve" with the stub (a tear-off with the ballot number on it) sticking outside of the sleeve. I would think they tear that off right before they put it into the tabulator. There might be a different person who tears off the stubs than who puts the ballot into the machine, I don't know.

That goes into an outer envelope that you seal and sign. Your name, address, signature, and ballot number are visible on the outside of that envelope.

This process may vary from place to place, but that's the way it is for me.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 20th, 2020 at 12:18:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Dalex64
Well, there is a website for that. You can see if your ballot has been received. It won't actually be counted until election day.

You might not be familiar with the ins and outs of michigan voting, but when you vote, your ballot number goes down next to your name. When you are issued an absentee ballot, your ballot number is recorded with your name.

update:
you actually only have until 10am the Monday before the election to spoil your absentee ballot.

Ha, I didn’t even know you could track your ballot.

Just checked, and lo and behold:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 20th, 2020 at 12:22:58 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
For a mail-in ballot, the ballot is returned in a "secrecy sleeve" with the stub (a tear-off with the ballot number on it) sticking outside of the sleeve. I would think they tear that off right before they put it into the tabulator. There might be a different person who tears off the stubs than who puts the ballot into the machine, I don't know.

That goes into an outer envelope that you seal and sign. Your name, address, signature, and ballot number are visible on the outside of that envelope.

This process may vary from place to place, but that's the way it is for me.

If they have to look for the ballot number manually that would take forever. It must get scanned once before it is opened. In BC if you ask for a mail-in ballot you will not be allowed to vote in person whether you receive your ballot or not.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 20th, 2020 at 12:31:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
If they have to look for the ballot number manually that would take forever. It must get scanned once before it is opened. In BC if you ask for a mail-in ballot you will not be allowed to vote in person whether you receive your ballot or not.

Like I said, the ballot number is on the outside of the envelope. When they receive them, they can store them, unopened, sorted by name or sorted by ballot number.
They then have to do something to let the state website know that they have received the ballot - by ballot number.

You seem determined to believe that the process must be difficult.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 20th, 2020 at 12:37:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
QUIZ: Who was the kid named after a number in "Peanuts?"

What kid? Everyone was a kid in Peanuts.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 20th, 2020 at 1:21:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
What kid? Everyone was a kid in Peanuts.

There was a kid who had the name of a number as his first name, I think his last name was their ZIP code.
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2020 at 3:01:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
50 Cent Doubles Down On Biden’s ‘Very Bad’ Tax Plan: ‘I Don’t Want to Be 20 Cent’

This is a monumental endorsement for
Trump. Fiddycent doesn't want to
give the gov't 65% of his income
under Biden. He has 12 MILLION
mostly Black Twitter followers
who hang on his every word.
You gotta believe some of them
will vote Trump because Fiddycent
is..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2020 at 3:30:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Mike Pence will hold a rally in Indiana on Thursday.

This must mean that the campaign is in such great shape they can afford to waste time and resources two weeks before the election on a state that they will easily win.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 20th, 2020 at 3:59:55 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Mike Pence will hold a rally in Indiana on Thursday.

This must mean that the campaign is in such great shape they can afford to waste time and resources two weeks before the election on a state that they will easily win.

Ummmm. How many states that HRC could ‘easily win’ did she lose? Maybe if she campaigned in those ‘easy win’ states she would have won them!
October 20th, 2020 at 4:07:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Maybe if she campaigned in those ‘easy win’ states she would have won them!

Trump told reporters today he's
moving into 5 rallies a day
mode soon. To keep up Biden
has to do at least 1 every 3 days
and go into hiding in between.
Rallies are exhausting when
you're 78 and in cognitive
decline. Poor feeble old man.

I can't imagine the stress he
must be feeling with all this
scandal stuff going on. Anybody
would, but at his age it will seem
even worse.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.