Unemployment

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
March 31st, 2020 at 8:07:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Nevada caps unemployment at $469 a week. What does your state cap it at?

In Florida
We are one of the cheapest states
275 a week

My company did no layoffs. Furloughs and reduced hours. I got reduced hours, 30 hrs a week so a 25% pay cut for me and everybody not furloughed. My company wants to come back stronger next year as they will gobble up business due to competitors out of business. They know keeping employees is the key to that strategy

My favorite pizza place up the street, Mellow Mushroom just went out of business. Not coming back. Sad. A lot more will follow unfortunately.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 31st, 2020 at 9:08:45 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
My company did no layoffs. Furloughs and reduced hours. I got reduced hours, 30 hrs a week so a 25% pay cut for me and everybody not furloughed. My company wants to come back stronger next year as they will gobble up business due to competitors out of business. They know keeping employees is the key to that strategy.

Good businesses, with decent reserves, are able to do that. I know people getting laid off instantly by people who have deep balance sheets and even deeper pockets...those are not good people in my mind, and anyone working for people like that should change employers if the opportunity arises. No one "has" to be a good person...but it is something to look at about where you work. Businesses on a razor's edge are different.

Quote: terapined
My favorite pizza place up the street, Mellow Mushroom just went out of business. Not coming back. Sad. A lot more will follow unfortunately.

This is the case of a local watering hole. The cancellation of all shows for the next few months was too much to handle and the reserves were already gone. In other words, they were struggling. Many already-struggling businesses with owners busting their butts and also still employing people even with little profit to show, will go the way of these two businesses. Along with them going away, jobs will go away...
March 31st, 2020 at 9:19:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC

This is the case of a local watering hole. The cancellation of all shows for the next few months was too much to handle and the reserves were already gone.

I am very fortunate. My local watering hole is officially closed for business but is still employing a bartender for every shift. It is more like an underground speakeasy now. They are not selling anything but the are allowing their friends and good customers to come in with their own alcohol. It is like a private club now but they are restricting it to less than 10 people. Many people are just coming in to play pool.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 31st, 2020 at 9:43:10 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: DRich
Yes, I was laid off but I really don't do much development anymore. Everyone in our company got laid off except a few security employees. Our company has exactly $0 of revenue right now. Every table game and slot machine in the whole state is shut down.

Ah that sucks. With your skill set you’ll be able to find something else no problem.

Fortunately I work in an industry that is pretty much unaffected by economic downturns, and everyone can work from home.

I don’t think we are expecting any layoffs. Possibly some furlough or cut hours if construction sites can not resume work.
March 31st, 2020 at 10:37:25 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I will get about 500/week, Mrs will get about 100. Along with what we have banked right now, we should get through a couple months. House and one car are both paid for. The biggest expense will be the COBRA, if we are off into May.
March 31st, 2020 at 12:19:30 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
COBRA lesson here!

It is rare that with the advent of Obamacare that there isn't a lower priced alternative. If you use COBRA, you will pay around 102% of what your employer was paying for you. Since most employees were having their employer pay most if not all of those premiums, most recently fired have no idea what COBRA will cost. Most states have "Obamacare" alternatives at a fraction of what your commercial insurance will cost via COBRA.
March 31st, 2020 at 2:17:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
COBRA lesson here!

It is rare that with the advent of Obamacare that there isn't a lower priced alternative. If you use COBRA, you will pay around 102% of what your employer was paying for you. Since most employees were having their employer pay most if not all of those premiums, most recently fired have no idea what COBRA will cost. Most states have "Obamacare" alternatives at a fraction of what your commercial insurance will cost via COBRA.

+1.

Usually you should just buy across the counter at one of your dominant carriers. You can also see if your local chamber of commerce has a group plan you can slot into with membership.
The President is a fink.
March 31st, 2020 at 2:24:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My understanding of the fed unemployment
is it's meant as an extension of state benefits.
That's how it worked in the past. State benefits
run out, fed extension kicks in. Being paid
both at once would defeat the purpose.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2020 at 3:46:28 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Evenbob
My understanding of the fed unemployment
is it's meant as an extension of state benefits.
That's how it worked in the past. State benefits
run out, fed extension kicks in. Being paid
both at once would defeat the purpose.

That is not my understanding of this bill. I believe it is concurrent.
March 31st, 2020 at 3:47:33 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: SOOPOO
COBRA lesson here!

I will have to look into that. My COBRA amount is almost $800 a month just for me. Fortunately my wife is on a separate policy.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »