6 mg butt kicking

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>
February 24th, 2020 at 11:14:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
Well.....

I might be dependent on nicotine, but I think I'm addicted to the 3min mental break of just staring into space lol. It definitely quelled the monkey, and almost as soon as it was in my lip and wet. But... I feel like I should be doing something. This is gonna be a task =/
When I realized with snuff, "yeah, this is what I really want" that was when I knew I was quitting cigarettes. I hope that makes sense [and happens to you too].

Quote:
I'm steering away from mint burn, tho. Whether tasting vape juice "just to see" or digging my tongue into a wad of Nicorrete to release the goodness, it burns like a nicotine burn. To the point I can guarantee that's what it is. These wintergreen barely got a hint of flavor, and my mouth is on fire right now. Get whatever flavor you want, it won't matter.
I'm bummed if you're right. It will mean I stick to Snus. But one of these days I'm going to try Velo and see what happens.

Quote:
Not a fan of how small and slimy it is, but I suppose it's better than pneumonectomy. Whatdya say, OG? I think we could make a killing on nicotine jerky...
great idea!

Quote:
As an aside and since we gotta post bragging losses too, I lost the speed comp. Stumbled out of T2 and a full year of sedentary life had me too fat to recover. ~18sec laps and I lost to a 22yr old by 0.2s. F#$%. I gotta stop smoking.
quit hanging around 20-somethings too if you want to keep winning races
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 24th, 2020 at 12:12:38 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
When I realized with snuff, "yeah, this is what I really want" that was when I knew I was quitting cigarettes. I hope that makes sense [and happens to you too].

Makes perfect sense. My problem is that I prefer smoke. But if learned to like it, I can learn to hate it. Or so I'm told =/

Quote: OG
I'm bummed if you're right. It will mean I stick to Snus. But one of these days I'm going to try Velo and see what happens.

I'd bet real money on it. Vape juice, nic gum, Skoal pouches, every single one did the same thing that these do. Not a searing burn like pepper, but a "prickly" burn. Not to say it's terrible; I can certainly adjust to it. But it's not the mint.

Quote: OG
quit hanging around 20-somethings too if you want to keep winning races

Know what they call the fastest 40yr old in WNY? "Runner up".

No thanks =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 24th, 2020 at 1:53:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I'd bet real money on it. Vape juice, nic gum, Skoal pouches, every single one did the same thing that these do. Not a searing burn like pepper, but a "prickly" burn. Not to say it's terrible; I can certainly adjust to it. But it's not the mint.
Something just occurred to me. They call the nicotine "nicotine salt" that's in this stuff, which suggests it is different than the nicotine in natural tobacco. I couldn't seem to tolerate it ... don't have time at the moment to explore this more but now I'm really wondering.
February 24th, 2020 at 6:43:32 PM permalink
Face
... don't have time at the moment to explore this more...

Feel free to pursue as my chemistry's got a 20yr patina on it and my vape life is a good 5yrs past, but...

It's processing. Nicotine is an alkaloid, and like all alkalines, it's caustic. It burns. By using raw nicotine, you easier run into the problem of the burn being too high to willingly increase the dose. If you can't get enough dose without burning yourself, you don't use the product.

To relieve alkalinity, you add acid to bring the ph down, and adding acid to a base makes... water and salt, both of which have a ph much closer to 7 than either of the two elements on their own. With a neutral-er ph, you can raise the dose much higher before running into the burn threshhold, as you've removed the source of the burn, its alkalinity.

That's how I understood it, anyway. Feel free to double check my work.
February 25th, 2020 at 7:38:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
That's how I understood it, anyway. Feel free to double check my work.
I think you've got it right. I wanted to check to make sure I wasn't imagining things, so I grabbed my "tin" this morning to make sure it says 'salt' . Yep.

'Salt' doesn't mean chemically inactive. If anyone doubts it they never had a car where they use NaCl on the roads in winter, or got some in a wound. I'm wondering if I can make myself tolerate it, I just don't like swallowing tobacco juice, thinned down and with pouch containment or not.
February 26th, 2020 at 9:34:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I bought a tin of Velo 2mg today. Did not get the tingle at all, which puzzled me; after a while, I realized it was much like Snus to me and I found myself preferring to spit just like when I use Snus.

Online research is not that easy, but I have confirmed for my own satisfaction that it is sort of an in-between. It does not have tobacco leaf. Evidently what it has is sometimes called freebase nicotine.

There are more warnings on the label than with Zyn.

While searching around I saw a statement that said nicotine salt does get taken up more rapidly into the system, which explains a lot.

Updating my experience, I have found the Zyn product will dampen appetite quite rapidly for me, almost an instant thing. I suspect this happy circumstance will evolve so that I have to leave it in longer and longer. We'll see, it's the effect on appetite that has me buying this stuff

PS: you may have caught me having to edit, for some reason I want to call the Zyn product 'Nys' , wtf
February 26th, 2020 at 4:14:43 PM permalink
Face

While searching around I saw a statement that said nicotine salt does get taken up more rapidly into the system, which explains a lot.

Can confirm, and now agree with the thread title.

I dunno what a cig has (Gandler's statement that they have 10mg was the first I ever heard it quantified), but these things kick me in the gut unlike any. Perhaps that first morning smoke before I'm properly awake, or after an 8hr flight. But it's noticeably, I'd almost say extremely, more potent than a single cig.

While that's a bit worrisome from a tolerance perspective, I can say this is the only replacement that actually did the job of replacing. I recall saying that "vape was good for the nic, but there was something missing". With these, the only thing missing is the habit of getting up and going outside. Once I take 30sec to think and push passed the monkey brain demanding its routine, the urge is completely out of mind for some time.
February 26th, 2020 at 6:59:26 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Can confirm, and now agree with the thread title.

I dunno what a cig has (Gandler's statement that they have 10mg was the first I ever heard it quantified), but these things kick me in the gut unlike any. Perhaps that first morning smoke before I'm properly awake, or after an 8hr flight. But it's noticeably, I'd almost say extremely, more potent than a single cig.

While that's a bit worrisome from a tolerance perspective, I can say this is the only replacement that actually did the job of replacing. I recall saying that "vape was good for the nic, but there was something missing". With these, the only thing missing is the habit of getting up and going outside. Once I take 30sec to think and push passed the monkey brain demanding its routine, the urge is completely out of mind for some time.

10 is a rough average, it can range from 7-14+

But, the way it is absorbed is different. Smoking pulls the nicotine into your lungs (which gets it into your blood quickly).

These products like moist snuff absorb through your mucous membranes, similar to nasal snuff absorbing through your nasal mucosa. It is still quick, but not quite the 7-10 seconds of getting the effect from a deep drag on a cigarette.

But, you have to bear in mind smoking a cigarette is a quick event that is usually over in less than 10 mins. Oral tobacco and nicotine pouches can be kept in for hours.
March 2nd, 2020 at 12:28:49 PM permalink
Gandler
I am in San Antonio now for some Dental training, and Velo is 5.99 a can here. Most expensive I have ever seen. Ironically Texas has a pretty high smokeless tobacco tax (40% of wholesale price, compared to GA's 10% of wholesale price). But, I cannot find any information on the details if this state considers nicotine pouches as "smokeless tobacco".

Smokeless tobacco taxes vary widely by states (PA being the only state with no tax, making it a great place to stock up on cheap tobacco). Some states tax per ounce, some states tax a % of wholesale price, some tax % of manufacturing price, some have a tax per unit, some have a % of product value, so it is very hard to compare taxes state to state because they are formulated so differently.

Unlike cigarettes, which almost always are based off a per 20 cigarette per pack, comparing state smokeless tobacco tax (and what even counts as smokeless tobacco) is far more complicated....

https://taxfoundation.org/what-proper-tax-policy-smokeless-tobacco-products-0/
April 8th, 2020 at 8:14:27 AM permalink
Gandler
https://www.northerner.com/eu/nicotine-pouches/white-fox

Has anyone tried White Fox?

I have never seen anywhere in the U.S. (and I travel a lot and look for nicotine products when I do).

But, apparantly it is 12.5 MG per portion (pouch) which is the highest that is currently available (out of tobacco-free products) based on anything I can find.

This would be perfect for me, because I could just use one pouch.

I am debating ordering it (I stopped ordering from Northener after the USPS banned delivering tobacco, because FedEx orders are just a ripoff).

But, I am curious if anyone else has tried or heard of it? It looks pretty solid.
Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>