1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 25th, 2020 at 7:11:48 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: terapined
FAKE NEWS

These are the NYS Ventilator Allocation Guidelines published in 2015.

In 2015, NYS, under the leadership of Governor Cuomo, projected a shortfall of 15,783 ventilators in a pandemic scenario.

“New York State may have enough ventilators to meet the needs of patients in a moderately severe pandemic. In a severe public health emergency on the scale of the 1918 influenza pandemic, however, these ventilators would not be sufficient to meet the demand. Even if the vast number of ventilators needed were purchased, a sufficient number of trained staff would not be available to operate them. If the most severe forecast becomes a reality, New York State and the rest of the country will need to allocate ventilators.”

Now, he's asking for 30,000 ventilators.

“there are currently 1,750 stockpiled ventilators available at all times that may be used during a pandemic, for a total of 8,991 ventilators in the State.”

“During non-emergency, normal conditions, there is an 85% utilization rate of ventilators in acute care facilities, leaving only 15% of ventilators available.”

“Severe Pandemic Scenario”

“More than 89,610 cumulative influenza patients would need ventilator treatment and 18,619 would need them simultaneously at the peak of the severe pandemic. Because the baseline assumption that 85% of ventilators in an acute care setting are in use during any given (non-pandemic) week, during a severe influenza pandemic, there is likely to be a projected shortfall of ventilators (-15,783) during peak week demand.”
March 25th, 2020 at 8:07:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko

guidelines????? lol
how about facts
Fact Check: NY Gov. Cuomo Did NOT Reject Buying Recommended 16,000 Ventilators In 2015 for Pandemic
https://hoax-alert.leadstories.com/3472082-fact-check-ny-gov-cuomo-did-NOT-reject-buying-recommended-16000-ventilators-in-2015-for-pandemic.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2020 at 8:20:33 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: RonC quote trimmed
I am glad that is a part of it because it is a good idea to keep those making the laws from profiting from them unduly (like the Senators, also), but the best part of it is helping the American people.

I am happy with the oversight they put in. I didn't think they would go so far as to exclude who they did, and was pleasantly surprised.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 25th, 2020 at 8:20:40 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Tanko

guidelines????? lol
how about facts
Fact Check: NY Gov. Cuomo Did NOT Reject Buying Recommended 16,000 Ventilators In 2015 for Pandemic
https://hoax-alert.leadstories.com/3472082-fact-check-ny-gov-cuomo-did-NOT-reject-buying-recommended-16000-ventilators-in-2015-for-pandemic.html

People appointed by the governor determined the need for a pandemic. They chose to not pursue the matter. Just like the President, the Governor is responsible for everything that happens of fails to happen under his command.

The President is wrong when he fails to take responsibility.
March 25th, 2020 at 8:26:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: RonC
Dis they do some kind of a study and proof in any way that it was medically necessary to change masks each time?

Just wondering if it was that or some admin persons decision for whatever reason...perhaps to charge for extra masks...

NO!!!! There is no study. It is the brainchild of the most dangerous person in healthcare. An NWAC!

(Nurse with a clipboard!) Someone who is paid a big salary (NWACs make 6 figures) and have to come up with stuff to justify their job, and assert power.

Story time.... Before this mess, over the past few years there has been this fight going on..... Surgeons, for decades, have worn cloth caps, often with designs like their alma mater, their favorite football team, etc.... Some, like me, preferred the disposable bouffant type caps. But.... an NWAC got their national organization to put out a recommendation that cloth hats be banned, or at least covered by a disposable bouffant cap. NO EVIDENCE! NO STUDY! Just an opinion! And many hospital administrators got this recommendation.... and decided to enact it! So over the past few years there was a neurosurgeon who went bonkers. He designed and completed an actual research study.... which had a slightly HIGHER infection rate among those using bouffant only versus cloth. Happens to be a Buffalo doctor.

Second tidbit. There is an organization called JCAHO. They have a gazillion regulations that they come once a year and do a survey for the hospital, and either grant accreditation or not. The hospital plans for a month before, gets the entire staff to prepare for the most absolutely silly rules. So they do so... and the day after the JCAHO people are gone go back to doing things they way they are really done. The hospital probably wastes $1,000,000 in preparing for this visit. There are some hospitals that are finally balking at this silliness, and are giving up JCAHO certification. If anyone is more interested in this please start a new thread and I have more...
March 25th, 2020 at 8:47:15 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0

Nowhere in the Lt. Governor's article does she mention the words ‘reject’ or 'recommend'.

She accuses the leaders of choosing 'not to prep for the pandemic’.

“Several years ago, after learning that the Empire State’s stockpile of medical equipment had 16,000 fewer ventilators than the 18,000 New Yorkers would need in a severe pandemic, state public-health leaders came to a fork in the road.”

“They could have chosen to buy more ventilators to back up the supplies hospitals maintain. ­Instead, the health commissioner, Howard Zucker, assembled a task force for rationing the ventilators they already had.”

They knew they would be 16,000 ventilators short of what would be needed, and concluded, ‘Even if the vast number of ventilators needed were purchased, a sufficient number of trained staff would not be available to operate them.’

Now, they’re screaming for 30,000 of them.

The decided not to purchase the ventilators, and ration their use instead. Giving preference to those most likely to survive. A sixty year old asthmatic, might not make the list. That will be up to the death squads.
March 25th, 2020 at 8:56:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
CRUISE SHIP

Ive just learned that two friends who answered their country's call and spent their lives "in the shadows'' of what is laughingly referred to as the "intelligence community" were denied a refund from Princess Cruise and so made the mistake of going on the extended cruise. Each has the virus, impaired taste smell, etc. Getting lots of laptime from their cats, though.
March 25th, 2020 at 8:57:17 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: SOOPOO
If anyone is more interested in this please start a new thread and I have more...

My wife was a nurse without a clipboard for years (she does not like them either) and now is a pediatric nurse practitioner. I find this subject very interesting...and scary...

What should we title the thread?
March 25th, 2020 at 9:02:39 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Fleastiff
CRUISE SHIP

Ive just learned that two friends who answered their country's call and spent their lives "in the shadows'' of what is laughingly referred to as the "intelligence community" were denied a refund from Princess Cruise and so made the mistake of going on the extended cruise. Each has the virus, impaired taste smell, etc. Getting lots of laptime from their cats, though.

We had a cruise scheduled for mid-April. It was cancelled yesterday but we had decided to not go and take whatever they offered (or nothing) because of both the increased risks of being in close company with thousands and the possibility of a quarantine of some sort at the end of the trip...or even on the ship...

I am sorry they were put in the position to make that decision. Cruise lines were not proactive in their cancellation and refund/future credit polices at first.

I took the refund option instead of the 125% future cruise credit which Royal Caribbean offered.
March 25th, 2020 at 9:15:46 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I have 2 Regal Unlimited movie passes that are $21/month each. They make you commit to a full year when you first sign up. I’m wondering if I can get them to cancel or pause it while there are 0 theaters open.