1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

July 30th, 2020 at 11:45:27 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
I just found out this about where I live:
"Ohio and  Georgia introduced a statute requiring that one second be added to the standard yellow time of any intersection that has a red light camera, which has led to an 80% reduction in tickets since its introduction."

We have four in my city (with no plans to add more) they were added from a State grant to four at risk intersections, and have dramtically lowered the rate of collisions"

"Those types of crashes are down at each of the four intersections, according to data from the city. The biggest drop is at the White Bluff intersection. There were 8 of those crashes from 2000 to 2004. In the 14 years since, there have been only eight."
As we were talking yesterday, I give credit to the reduction in crashes to adding one seconds time to the yellow light, not the fact that there were traffic cams.

It would be interesting, seeing as how the traffic division realizes they can add time to the light at the controller, if they would try that at troublesome intersections to compare results between just adding time, or adding time plus revenue. From what you said here, nobody wanted to give time a chance.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 30th, 2020 at 11:48:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Most communities are clean. The difference is in an HOA you have Karen checking every little thing.

One of Geico's funnier commercials.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2020 at 11:53:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Whose regulations? Even if that's true, that will stop happening if nobody buys the properties off of the developer.

State regulators. And if that is all that is available people will buy. Might grit their teeth but they will buy.

I have seen duplexes that are HOAs of just the two places.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2020 at 12:04:07 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: JimRockford
So many qualifications

Western World: Why wouldn't we compare our performance to any country. We have money and and scientific resources unmatched by any country. We also had more warning than Asian countries. But if we must, let's exclude Asia, Africa and Australia.

Significant population: Exclude countries with less than 2 million population

Dramatically better: Exclude countries whose deaths per million is not 25% better than the US.

Here is a list (Paco-style)...

We have 330M + people in our country.
Population sIze matters a lot when you are battling an infectious disease spread by person to person contact
You need to control their individual behaviors in order to effectively battle the spread of a virus.
It is intellectually dishonest to compare the US to countries with populations less than our largest state.
SIgnificant population when comparing to the US would be countries with at least 50 million people, 1/6 of our population.
There are about 30 of those countries in the World.
We stack up pretty well comparing apples to apples.
Particularly when you take out countries that lie about their numbers or took infected people out of their homes to quarantine.
Putting individuals in Covid Jail may work in South Korea & Asian countries, it doesn't work in the US.
Western Culture's view of personal freedoms play a factor in a fair comparison.
You're left with US, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain.
Those are the comparable countries and Mexico will end up passing us in deaths per million by 10/1
Germany killed it and no one seems to talk about them much.
Ever wonder who has the legal authority to restrict individual freedoms in the US when facing a Public Health Emergency?
Here's a clue: It isn't Donny & Co.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
July 30th, 2020 at 12:09:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Can you tell what violation resulted in million dollar lawsuit between and an HOA and a resident?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 30th, 2020 at 12:16:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
We need an HOA thread. Seems like the topic pops up a lot.

I’m not complaining. I dislike them as much as the next guy.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 30th, 2020 at 12:21:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JCW09

It is intellectually dishonest to compare the US to countries with populations less than our largest state.

Nope
This is a worldwide problem
Its perfectly fine to compare our response to ALL countries on this planet with the same exact problem.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 30th, 2020 at 12:30:22 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Can you tell what violation resulted in million dollar lawsuit between and an HOA and a resident?

Do you have a copy of the covenants? You cant determine a violation till you read the covenants.
I was a HOA President.
I told everybody I had no power
All the power is in the covenants.
I studied the covenants before I bought so I knew exactly whats allowed and whats not
Did this guy do his homework? Did he read the covenants? He may not have a case if he did not read the covenants and proceeded with a landscaping project.
I've ordered landscaping projects reversed. They looked great but I had no choice. It was prevented in the covenants.
If I dont enforce the covenants, the association will be subject to lawsuits by homeowners that read the covenants and bought in due to the covenants
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 30th, 2020 at 12:45:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
Do you have a copy of the covenants? You cant determine a violation till you read the covenants.
I was a HOA President.
I told everybody I had no power

Yeah, that's what all the hall
monitors say..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2020 at 12:55:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, that's what all the hall
monitors say..

Yeah, they just do it because the job has no power....

The President is a fink.