Minimum wage

Page 4 of 4<1234
November 26th, 2019 at 1:17:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
You may be right. But the kid "loves history".

No better way to kill something
you love than to immerse yourself
in it. You love collecting old
radios, so you quit your full time
job and jump into hunting down
old radios and repairing and
selling them for a living. Very
soon your enjoyable hobby
becomes a chore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2019 at 4:09:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 124
You may be right. But the kid "loves history". I find it a noble goal, to be a teacher. Also, I have noticed my two teacher neighbors who lived across the street enjoying July and August a lot more than I did.

If he "loves history" he should start a history meetup group or history podcast. Science and math is where teacher demand is. History is easy to teach. Add in that education in the USA will be unrecognizable in 20 years. Probably way decentralized and online.

Even today, good luck getting in the district of Clarence or Amherst. Everyone wants to teach there. Ask him if he is ready to teach in Buffalo and get threatened by his students. If he is ready to deal with students who have homelives that are a disaster.

Best thing is tell him to seek out some 10-year teachers and ask how they like it by then.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
November 27th, 2019 at 8:35:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman
If he "loves history" he should start a history meetup group or history podcast. Science and math is where teacher demand is. History is easy to teach. Add in that education in the USA will be unrecognizable in 20 years. Probably way decentralized and online.

Even today, good luck getting in the district of Clarence or Amherst. Everyone wants to teach there. Ask him if he is ready to teach in Buffalo and get threatened by his students. If he is ready to deal with students who have homelives that are a disaster.

Best thing is tell him to seek out some 10-year teachers and ask how they like it by then.

Friend's son is Buffalo teacher, and is demoralized like you describe. My sons GF is new Buffalo teacher, so now really happy to get the big paycheck with bennies and time off. She does special ed so it will be a lifetime of demoralization. But that is my opinion, and yours.... There are lifetime happy teachers....
November 27th, 2019 at 8:39:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 124
Friend's son is Buffalo teacher, and is demoralized like you describe. My sons GF is new Buffalo teacher, so now really happy to get the big paycheck with bennies and time off. She does special ed so it will be a lifetime of demoralization. But that is my opinion, and yours.... There are lifetime happy teachers....

I have met lifetime happy call center workers. For each one of those I have met many more who could barely bring themselves to show up at work.

Why I now suggest get both a blue and white collar skill.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 4 of 4<1234