What I Ate Today

November 11th, 2019 at 2:27:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
We both like good Southern fried catfish.

Health wise it fits right in with
everything else you eat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2019 at 3:51:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I always ask where the fish is from, and if not shown, what kind of fish. Living in Ak. people become "fish snobs". I love fish, but fresh is always best.

I've had good catfish but it has to come from clean water. Everything to some degree tastes like the environment it was raised in. Same with mammals. I've eaten fresh pig raised in mud and shit, and it has a distinct dirty flavor. Then had fresh pig raised on a concrete slab, washed weakly, same with the pigs they got hosed down, fed wheels of pizza crust [14 grains] and the trim from the vegetable section of the local grocery store. What an amazing difference in texture and flavor. Same thing with chickens, commercial chicken can be edible, but fresh farm raised chicken allowed to roam and eat bugs and such, fed a variety and exercised are a different food item than box store chicken.

Home canned is vastly superior to store bought as well when it comes to vegetables or meat/fish.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 12th, 2019 at 12:25:09 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
farm-raised catfish can be pretty bad, and I've heard it said if you were around any of those ponds you'd shoot yourself before you'd eat such
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 12th, 2019 at 1:11:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Seven stalks of celery.
MoW turkey meatloaf with whipped sweet potatoes
three more stalks of celery one of them with peanut butter
one orange pepper sliced and zapped in microwave.
2 bottles water.
November 12th, 2019 at 3:10:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I am excited, my wife is "cooking" tonight. We are having French Dips with smoked Gouda and toasted buns. Yes, the au jus comes in a packet but she still needs to heat the water and stir it in. The roast beef is just lunch meat from the deli, but to me this is a home cooked meal.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 12th, 2019 at 4:38:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Chinese stir fry again. Leftover pork and chicken,
cabbage sauteed in chicken fat, fresh tomato.
Sesame oil and soy sauce, ginger, garlic and
onion powder. If you've never used chicken fat, it's
great to saute in. Coats everything and totally
changes a dish.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 13th, 2019 at 8:31:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Coconut flour nutmeg pancakes, fried
Spam and eggs.

November 13th, 2019 at 11:47:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Wow Bob, you've got this food thing figured out. Nice share. Where does all this chicken fat come from?

I was surprised when we moved to Page Az. for a few years on the northern edge of the Navajo reservation. I don't recall any other grocery stores that had so much canned lard for sale stocked on the shelf.

Frying in actual lard is delicious.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 14th, 2019 at 12:29:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph

I was surprised when we moved to Page Az. for a few years on the northern edge of the Navajo reservation. I don't recall any other grocery stores that had so much canned lard for sale stocked on the shelf.
you may recall a movie wherein an FBI agent was sent into a politically volatile situation because of his Native American ancestry. When he mentioned his childhood name to the Love Interest. she commented that he must have been a chubby kid because his father was actually calling him "Lardboy' since his name was a brand name for lard. It is not just a legacy of Mrs. Page, ALL grocery stores near reservations sell massive amounts of lard. And as workforce demographics in reservation processing plants change to include more Latin immigrants, the consumption of lard increases amongst those groups as well.
November 14th, 2019 at 2:19:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Wow Bob, you've got this food thing figured out. Nice share. Where does all this chicken fat come from?

I have roast chicken at least twice
a week. I always save the fat in
the bottom of the pan to cook
with later. In the fridge it rises
to the top.

The best lard is at Mexican
grocery stores, it's fresh and
unprocessed. You must have
it available in your area. lard
is a healthy fat.