What I Ate Today

November 6th, 2021 at 4:15:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Chinese stir fry with albacore tuna, broccoli, cauliflower, onion and green pepper, spinach, mushrooms, and egg whites. Just enough soy sauce. This has 600 calories and I'll eat half of it I need the other half in two days.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2021 at 4:22:56 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I'd have maybe gave the broccoli and cauliflower a minute or two and then added the rest in, as both look a little firm...still looks good, overall.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 6th, 2021 at 4:34:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mission146
I'd have maybe gave the broccoli and cauliflower a minute or two and then added the rest in, as both look a little firm...still looks good, overall.

I constantly checked the firmness of the broccoli and the cauliflower and when it got to the point where it was just aldente I took it off the heat. It was absolutely perfect just like you'd get in a Chinese restaurant. The secret to is using frozen vegetables which is what Chinese restaurants do. frozen veggies have just as many nutrients as fresh does but in stir fry it tastes much better. It's much easier to end up with soggy veggies with fresh then it is with frozen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2021 at 4:42:08 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
It sounds like you accomplished exactly what you intended. I tend to prefer the broccoli particularly just a bit softer than that.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 6th, 2021 at 5:06:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mission146
It sounds like you accomplished exactly what you intended. I tend to prefer the broccoli particularly just a bit softer than that.

Have made stir fry countless times and I'm no fan of soggy veggies. Stir fry is every cooks solution to leftovers. This t.ime I had the rest of a carton of egg whites to use up and what was left in a bag of spinach. So I made a stir fry. I have a big wok but the stupid thing takes too long to heat up so I seldom use it
November 7th, 2021 at 8:40:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Have made stir fry countless times and I'm no fan of soggy veggies. Stir fry is every cooks solution to leftovers. This t.ime I had the rest of a carton of egg whites to use up and what was left in a bag of spinach. So I made a stir fry. I have a big wok but the stupid thing takes too long to heat up so I seldom use it

What doesn't work for stir-fry will almost certainly be a great omelette filler!
November 7th, 2021 at 9:53:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Chinese stir fry with albacore tuna, broccoli, cauliflower, onion and green pepper, spinach, mushrooms, and egg whites. Just enough soy sauce. This has 600 calories and I'll eat half of it I need the other half in two days.

I also had Chinese last night. Mine doesn't look anything like yours.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 7th, 2021 at 12:50:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Looks like General Tso chicken: we had some last night also, with a House Special Sizzling Platter (beef, chicken, shrimp, vegetables).

Yum!
November 7th, 2021 at 4:01:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
First time making this. It's Korean street food called Korean toast. It's actually a cabbage pancake with thin sliced deli ham on toast. The pancake is shredded cabbage, onion, and grated turnip. Mixed with egg and fried. The secret ingredient is a little bit of ketchup on the bread. I'm not a big fan of ketchup and the recipes I got this from said don't think about it just do it. And they were right. The ketchup makes it a sweet and savory and really really good sandwich. I will for sure make this again.

November 7th, 2021 at 4:09:51 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Looks good, seems like it's basically a more compact version of a cabbage and ham hash in sandwich form using deli ham instead of baked ham (which would usually go in a hash). I imagine it bears a loose resemblance to a Reuben, especially if you use Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing rather than ketchup. I bet hot sauce or horsey sauce would even work well if you were in the mood for something spicy.