eggs trivia question

Page 2 of 2<12
October 7th, 2019 at 7:30:06 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
When I visited a friend in Costa Rica I noticed they kept their raw eggs in a bowl at room temperature. I asked if they were worried about them going bad and they said the US is the only country that does refrigerate eggs. Is this true?

Here is another thing that sets Americans apart
In Europe, just everybody there mixes their MJ with tobacco
I'm an American, we find that disgusting. We smoke the pure stuff, no tobacco mixed in.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 8th, 2019 at 4:08:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
since this is easily researched, I don't really need to provide the answer, but just in case,

I learned the hard way that eggs uncooked have a good shelf life, but once cooked, go bad pretty quick. If you hard-boil eggs, you should eat them within a week. If you refrigerate them, they last for weeks seeming fairly fresh even, and I suspect they do in fact go for over a month at least, maybe months, before they actually spoil. The first link says "eggs rarely spoil. However, if you keep them too long, they are likely to dry up." Uncooked, I've never come across a spoiled egg kept in the fridge, though our really fresh local eggs we can get here stand out as better. There have been times I've lost track of how old eggs are, still none 'spoiled' that I've found. Of course i don't trust cracked eggs, and don't examine them either.

So it makes no sense to hard boil eggs to preserve them, and I was cooking a dozen at a time and not eating them fast enough. I thought they would last longer cooked! I found the whites start to go watery in old hard-boiled ones, a very disgusting thing to eat even if only slightly effected, and I just threw away any that had that condition bad. None rotted but that was coming soon, it was easy to believe.

I put the remarkable fact that eggs naturally resist spoilage down to still essentially being alive, though what you see mentioned is that there is a protective coating. Even though you see criticism of the handlers washing that off, there must still be some coating left if that is what's saving supermarket eggs.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/tips-tricks/egg-storage/
https://www.thekitchn.com/the-shelf-life-of-hard-boiled-eggs-kitchen-facts-217747
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 8th, 2019 at 8:42:45 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Here is another thing that sets Americans apart
In Europe, just everybody there mixes their MJ with tobacco
I'm an American, we find that disgusting. We smoke the pure stuff, no tobacco mixed in.

I thought mixing tobacco and marijuana was natural, covers the smell and helps it burn better.

I don't do drugs, but from what I understand, it is pretty common.
October 8th, 2019 at 9:07:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Gandler
I thought mixing tobacco and marijuana was natural, covers the smell and helps it burn better.

This is the first I've heard of it, but it sounds like a pretty good idea.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 8th, 2019 at 9:16:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
When I visited a friend in Costa Rica I noticed they kept their raw eggs in a bowl at room temperature. I asked if they were worried about them going bad and they said the US is the only country that does refrigerate eggs. Is this true?

Mostly true, but when I thought of keeping chickens I did learn that once you clean eggs they lose some of their protection from going bad.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2019 at 10:47:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
In Downton Abbey, probably the most
historically accurate show ever made,
the kitchen had dozens of eggs in
racks and not in the fridge. This was
100 years ago. Refrigeration is rather
new, we've been eating and storing
eggs for thousands of years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2019 at 2:21:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
In Downton Abbey, probably the most
historically accurate show ever made,
the kitchen had dozens of eggs in
racks and not in the fridge. This was
100 years ago. Refrigeration is rather
new, we've been eating and storing
eggs for thousands of years.

There is much that actually does not require refrigeration, but it helps food stay good longer and lowers the likelihood of a lot of bad things happening.

Eggs are a great example, as is bread.

It basically keeps it a little safer and preserves the taste longer. (just like beer, you don't have to refrigerate it, but you really do).
October 8th, 2019 at 7:28:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

When I studied in Italy the Italians would always say you don't need to refrigerate your eggs and we were stupid for doing it. However in the first 22 years of my life I experience exactly zero bad eggs in my life. In my 5 years in Rome I unfortunately experience 3 bad eggs and they were disgusting. Mi Dispiace i miei cari amici Italiani, ma non e vero!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 9th, 2019 at 2:49:07 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Gandler
There is much that actually does not require refrigeration, but it helps food stay good longer and lowers the likelihood of a lot of bad things happening. .
For centuries the spice trade along the great silk road sustained Europe's diet and dreams. A little fermentation is good as it takes time for food to turn good. That is why squirrels bury acorns in dirt and wait awhile.
Page 2 of 2<12