Medicare: Just as I suspected!

Page 2 of 3<123>
October 3rd, 2019 at 4:30:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Mosca
....F has no deductible, but costs more than $185 more than G. 2019 is the last year for part F, get it now or don’t get it.
What do you mean, get it now or don't get it? I have it, do I need to find something different?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 4th, 2019 at 5:26:55 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
What do you mean, get it now or don't get it? I have it, do I need to find something different?

If you already have it, you keep it. If you don’t have it, this is your last chance to get it.
October 4th, 2019 at 9:05:52 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
For SOOPOO:

My question really doesn't fit the topic but is does involve Medicare so I am asking it here.

Recently Bernie Sanders had 2 stents implanted. I believe the stents were implanted within 24 hours of him experiencing chest discomfort.

If Bernie's only health coverage was the current Medicare Insurance, would he have been treated (including the surgery) as quickly?
Let's go Brandon
October 4th, 2019 at 10:02:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mosca
If you already have it, you keep it. If you don’t have it, this is your last chance to get it.

Thinking about it
Have employer health care
but
Looking to retire the next several years
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 4th, 2019 at 10:50:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: fleaswatter
For SOOPOO:

My question really doesn't fit the topic but is does involve Medicare so I am asking it here.

Recently Bernie Sanders had 2 stents implanted. I believe the stents were implanted within 24 hours of him experiencing chest discomfort.

If Bernie's only health coverage was the current Medicare Insurance, would he have been treated (including the surgery) as quickly?

Essentially yes. Any ER that finds myocardial ischemia has a protocol that tries to get you ‘revascularized’ ASAP. there is no way that insurance plays into it. Hospitals will give you specific statistics on ‘time at our door to time in the cath lab’. There are a bunch of ER type events that insurance really plays no role in.
October 4th, 2019 at 11:03:28 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Quote: SOOPOO
Essentially yes. Any ER that finds myocardial ischemia has a protocol that tries to get you ‘revascularized’ ASAP. there is no way that insurance plays into it. Hospitals will give you specific statistics on ‘time at our door to time in the cath lab’. There are a bunch of ER type events that insurance really plays no role in.

Thank you for the answer.

I wanted to ask you because I had read the following article and wondered if it was full of BS:

Bernie Sanders Could Have Died Under Medicare-for-All
Let's go Brandon
October 4th, 2019 at 12:23:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Depends on what you believe Bernie's plan is.
That site says it will "reduce everyone to a sub-Medicaid system with limited care options"

this one
https://www.vox.com/2019/4/10/18304448/bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all

says his plan "includes an especially robust set of benefits. It would cover hospital visits, primary care, medical devices, lab services, maternity care, and prescription drugs as well as vision and dental benefits."

Neither of those has much to do with what treatment you will get in an emergency room.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2019 at 6:55:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
Depends on what you believe Bernie's plan is.
That site says it will "reduce everyone to a sub-Medicaid system with limited care options"

this one
https://www.vox.com/2019/4/10/18304448/bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all

says his plan "includes an especially robust set of benefits. It would cover hospital visits, primary care, medical devices, lab services, maternity care, and prescription drugs as well as vision and dental benefits."

Neither of those has much to do with what treatment you will get in an emergency room.

No one will believe me, but the reason I fear Medicare for all is that the ridiculously low payments that Medicare can pay because it is a LAW are subsidized by private insurers. A case that pays me $500 from private insurance pays around $125 from Medicare. With more onerous documentation requirements. If all cases paid anesthesiologists Medicare rates there would be no anesthesiologists. Not instantaneously. But soon.
You think the government in its plan is expecting to triple what it pays now? To get to 60% of insurance? Nope. They are probably expecting to pay LESS. The big lie in 'Medicare for all' is their cost projections.

But as far as emergency care, today you are correct. But Medicare for all would lead to a massive shortage of practicing doctors. It's a pipe dream.
October 4th, 2019 at 7:12:22 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: SOOPOO
No one will believe me, but the reason I fear Medicare for all is that the ridiculously low payments that Medicare can pay because it is a LAW are subsidized by private insurers. A case that pays me $500 from private insurance pays around $125 from Medicare. With more onerous documentation requirements. If all cases paid anesthesiologists Medicare rates there would be no anesthesiologists. Not instantaneously. But soon.
You think the government in its plan is expecting to triple what it pays now? To get to 60% of insurance? Nope. They are probably expecting to pay LESS. The big lie in 'Medicare for all' is their cost projections.

But as far as emergency care, today you are correct. But Medicare for all would lead to a massive shortage of practicing doctors. It's a pipe dream.

So that's interesting and it brings up a thought I had.

Doctors are fleeing Canada because they can be paid more in the United States.

Medicare for all in the United States.

Lower doctor pay.

What country are they going to flee to?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2019 at 7:18:28 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
So that's interesting and it brings up a thought I had.

Doctors are fleeing Canada because they can be paid more in the United States.

Medicare for all in the United States.

Lower doctor pay.

What country are they going to flee to?

No country. But there is no surplus of practicing doctors now. Cut pay significantly and those (like me!) that are near the end of their careers retire early. Those considering medicine as a career don't. A small percentage already practicing find some other career. Add it all up and quality goes down.
Page 2 of 3<123>