2 votes (28.57%)
1 vote (14.28%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (28.57%)

7 members have voted

April 24th, 2013 at 2:42:30 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I tell you I am going to resubscribe to Netflix for Arrested Development. A great show being resurrected after so long is such a miracle.
Then after 1 month, I'll cancel it after I've seen them all 3 times.
April 26th, 2013 at 9:40:19 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: Pacomartin
Actually one of the highest rated networks on cable altogether.

USA Network is the most valuable part of NBC Universal at $11.7 billion, but the NBC network is worth a negative $600 million, $6.3 billion for Syfy, $3.9 billion for CNBC, $2.8 billion for MSNBC and $2.6 billion for Bravo according to Wunderlich Securities analyst Matthew Harrigan (Sepvember 2010)

USA is buoyed by it's schedule of light dramas
Psych (2006–present)
Burn Notice (2007–present)
Royal Pains (2009–present)
White Collar (2009–present)
Covert Affairs (2010–present)
Suits (2011–present)
Necessary (2011–present)

USA is also helped considerably by its syndication rights of SVU and NCIS. And FNC definitely deserves to be the top news channel and #6 overall. But I'm shocked that CNN isn't more watched than some of the channels at the bottom of the list.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
April 26th, 2013 at 11:45:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rdw4potus
And FNC definitely deserves to be the top news channel and #6 overall. But I'm shocked that CNN isn't more watched than some of the channels at the bottom of the list.

Late Night with Ted Koppel began a few months before CNN debuted in 1980. People were just getting used to the idea of being riveted to a news channel, instead of getting updates with the morning paper, and the network news around dinnertime. CNN scored some scoops during the 1980's with a lot of human interest stories, but it didn't enter the really big leagues until 1991 with the Gulf war where initially CNN was the only news outlet with the ability to communicate from inside Iraq.

In 1996 Fox News actually paid the cable operators to carry their news show rather than the other way around.

But eventually CNN was partly cannibalized by it's own products, CNN Headline News, and the CNN website. At one point CNN.COM was one of the biggest websites in the country.Personalities on CNN never carried the rabid zealous following of Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly and his cousins.

I think now you have people getting news from Yahoo, NYTimes, MSNBC and even CNN.com and Headline News. Nobody says I'll have to watch Anderson Cooper to get the "real story". But plenty of people watch "Bill O'Reilly" to get the "true story". CNN reports a staggering 37% drop in their ratings over the last 6 years.
July 27th, 2015 at 6:34:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I finally got to see the much hyped Simpsons/Futurama crossover episode.

It was amazingly good, keeping all characters true to form. I was impressed they even managed to shoehorn in the Persei 8 aliens playing host to Kang and Kodos at the credits.

But by far the best gag, IMO, was when Marge meets Leela and thinks to herself "Don't mention her eye!" while Leela thinks "Don't mention her hair!"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 27th, 2015 at 12:34:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYY7dhTyE

By far the best couch gag was the Treehouse of Horror XXIV by Guillermo del Toro with dozens of references to his own and classic horror films.
July 27th, 2015 at 1:11:12 PM permalink
Nareed
I mentioned this ep to a coworker, who was rather upset he missed it. He then told me there's a "theory" floating around the web that Homer Simpson died in an early season, and all subsequent eps are a kind of fantasy occurring, well, somewhere. This explains why no one ages and so on.

I mention this only because there's a scene in the crossover ep where Bender, Leela, Fry and Homer walk past Panucci's Pizza. That's where Fry worked in the pilot ep (he was the delivery boy). His dog is lying outside the place, too. The dog even looks as Fry walks past, but doesn't follow him.

I assume now all Simpson's fans with Trekky tendencies will argue Springfield is located in New York City. We know from the Futurama pilot that's where Fry worked and lived.

Discuss....
July 28th, 2015 at 6:35:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Cable went out yesterday for some reason. So I dusted off the Futurama DVDs, part one of the CE era.

Funny how the rebirth episode, coincidentally entitled "Rebirth." begins with everyone but the professor killed in a crash.

The ep I really like, in parts, is the eyePhone satire "Attack of the Killer App." It tackles two things I don't care for: the cult of Apple, and Twitter. And it has one of the best lines by Fry: "Shut up and take my money!"

If Futurama gets resurrected again, they should so a reverse Simpson's crossover. I can picture this scene:

Lisa: It's us: the Simpson's.
Prof. Farnsworth: Wha?
Leela: The Simpson's, professor. Remember they [spoiler description of the crossover ep removed].
Prof. Farnsworth: Oh, yes. I have no memory of that at all.
December 14th, 2015 at 1:26:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Yesterday the final Futurama ep (thus far, barring further resurrections, etc.) ran on cable.

I'd seen the ending before, but not the full ep.

Aside from the opening credits joke ("Avenge Us!"), the humor was a bit muted and the plot was very emotional and moving. As with the previous series finale ("The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings"), the focus is on the relationship between Fry and Leela. Though whereas in the former it begins, in this one it reaches fulfillment.

I won't go into spoilers, so there's not much which can be said. I think every minor and secondary character appeared, but only in the background. All speaking roles are for the regulars, and a few incidental and background characters.
December 14th, 2015 at 1:44:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ewjones
Fox News: The highest rated "news" channel? That's sad.

Its really about choices rather the highest rated
Conservatives have 1 choice
Me, I watch Al Jazeera, BBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, PBS ect
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 2<12