Tulsi Gabbard

August 20th, 2019 at 5:54:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: AcesAndEights
This is why I like living in an open primary state. I'm registered as "unenrolled" and can vote in any primary I want on an election-to-election basis.

The system really is kind of baffling. When you register, you can choose a party if you want to. But then you can *only* vote in that party's primaries. As far as I can tell, there is no benefit to this (other than saying you are a registered XYZ if that is a bragging point for you). Registering as unenrolled is really the best move.

It probably has benefit to the parties for ballot access.
The President is a fink.
August 20th, 2019 at 1:29:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
party bigwigs will feel greater loyalty resides in those who make comittments.
August 21st, 2019 at 11:52:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
2 terms Republican - Eisenhower
2 terms Democrat - Kennedy/LBJ
2 terms Republican - Nixon/Ford
1 term Democrat - Carter
3 terms Republican - Reagan/Bush
2 terms Democrat - Clinton
2 terms Republican - Bush
2 terms Democrat - Obama
1 term Republican - Trump

The Third Term Curse remains a talking point with Bush 41 being the only candidate to beat it since 1952

People have a strong tendency to see patterns in politics. "The Blue Wall" was often presented as unbreakable until Trump broke it by winning "Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania". In reality all of these states had always been close elections, but had simply gone Democrat in 1992, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012.

There is not really a blue wall, nor is their a 3rd year curse.

It's like the "zero year curse" where Presidents elected in 1860,1880, 1900, 1920, 1940, and 1960 all died in office. Many people believe that Ronald Reagan survived his assassination attempt because of supernatural intervention that broke the "zero year curse".

Sometimes the "zero year curse" is called "Tecumsah's curse" because of the Battle of Tippecanoe. Those people believe that Reagan survived because of modern medicine that didn't exist in Tecumsah's time.
August 24th, 2019 at 7:39:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
People have a strong tendency to see patterns in politics.
People have a tendency to see patterns in everything. Protective trait. Perceive enemies and prey amidst the patterns of protective cover.

>>>>>>>There is not really a blue wall, nor is their a 3rd year curse.
Oh, yes there is!
Once the media declares it to exist, the teeming masses will cling to it.
Doesn't really matter how flimsy the evidence is. If its got a catchy name and its repeated sufficiently, its real.
August 24th, 2019 at 8:53:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Fleastiff
People have a tendency to see patterns in everything. Protective trait. Perceive enemies and prey amidst the patterns of protective cover.

>>>>>>>There is not really a blue wall, nor is their a 3rd year curse.
Oh, yes there is!
Once the media declares it to exist, the teeming masses will cling to it.
Doesn't really matter how flimsy the evidence is. If its got a catchy name and its repeated sufficiently, its real.

Humans are evolved to see patterns everywhere. It is one of the reasons that gambling (and betting systems) are so popular.

Pattern recognition is an important survival trait, but it can also be overused in modern society, looking for patterns where there are none.
August 24th, 2019 at 9:25:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
Humans are evolved to see patterns everywhere. It is one of the reasons that gambling (and betting systems) are so popular.

Pattern recognition is an important survival trait, but it can also be overused in modern society, looking for patterns where there are none.
It is causing stress overload in society with data emerging many times faster than our minds can adapt to the speed of input.

That stress causes illness.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2019 at 9:33:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Looks like Tulsi is getting Bernie'd by the DNC. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/08/21/gabbard_victimized_by_dncs_dubious_debate_criteria_141055.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2019 at 9:44:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

They made an approved list of qualifying pollsters. I don't see how changing that now would be fair to the candidate that then would get axed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2019 at 11:57:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Looks like Tulsi is getting Bernie'd by the DNC.

It will just help her in 2024.
August 25th, 2019 at 12:10:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Looks like Tulsi is getting Bernie'd by the DNC.

Her poll numbers are low because,
like me, to the American people
she's totally forgettable. Every
time I hear her name I say 'who'?
And I've seen her talk, made no
impression on me at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.