The Gay Thread

November 16th, 2019 at 10:31:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

You seem to believe anything that believes in God is "religious." That is not the case.

Certainly it is. The definition of religion
is, 'relating to a religion'. When you
bring god into it, you're relating to
a god religion. God and religion are
inseparable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2019 at 10:47:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
When I was a kid, our scout meetings were at our church. My brother also got to Eagle scout. I never went into it. I used to read his Boy's Life, the scouting magazine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2019 at 11:18:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Certainly it is. The definition of religion
is, 'relating to a religion'. When you
bring god into it, you're relating to
a god religion. God and religion are
inseparable.

Nonsense. Lots of people believe in yet are not particularly religious.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2019 at 12:35:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Why can't you? If you have a group that is dedicated to making oneself a better man and the group does not believe being gay allows this, then the gay kid is opposed to what the group believes and should not be allowed in from the start. And yet again I ask, why would a gay want to join a group that does not accept that being gay prohibits a healthy life? It is no different than an atheist wanting to join a campus Jewish group. Let the gay kid find a club that matches their beliefs and choices in life.

Well, good for those former atheists. But they joined under false pretenses as a belief in God is a requirement to join. But that does not make it "religious." Their activities are wide and varied. They are about being a secret society and yes, lots of their stuff comes from the Jews. There is a Bible in the center of the lodge. But in a muslim lodge that Bible will be a koran. In some areas, black Baptists join one lodge and white Protestants join another (to the annoyance of many a SJW, but that is another issue.) My point being that if it was "religious" it would be one religion, top to bottom. It might have some religious components, but only as part of the broader mission. So if an atheist does not like that they can go join some other group.

You seem to believe anything that believes in God is "religious." That is not the case. Habitat for Humanity says a quick prayer before they commence their work for the day. Does that make them "religious?" Lots of NFL teams will say a prayer before a game. Does that make them "religious?" Or does it just mean all these groups share the belief that mankind is just a blip that is a part of something greater?

Because if you view the purpose of the group as bettering oneself, the Gay kids should be allowed to join as long as they don't engage in gay behavior. Anyway this is a moot point as it is already done.

But, as for religion, the NFL and habitat for humanity do not prevent atheists from joining, nor force all members to take part in the prayers.
Requiring a religion is religious by definition.
Requiring a belief in a higher power is religous, even if the specific religion is not mandated.
November 16th, 2019 at 12:53:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Nonsense. Lots of people believe in yet are not particularly religious.

Just saying you believe in a god
is religious. If it isn't, why are
atheists banned from places
where a belief in god is required.

re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

Believing in a 'higher power' is
a religious belief. You can be
religious without being connected
to an organized religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2019 at 1:19:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Just saying you believe in a god
is religious. If it isn't, why are
atheists banned from places
where a belief in god is required.

Atheists are banned from things where a belief in a God is required because they fail that requirement, "religious" or not.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2019 at 1:27:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Atheists are banned from things where a belief in a God is required because they fail that requirement, "religious" or not.

The reason is, god belief is a
closed club, and all closed
clubs want nothing to do
with outsiders.
November 16th, 2019 at 1:29:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Because if you view the purpose of the group as bettering oneself, the Gay kids should be allowed to join as long as they don't engage in gay behavior. Anyway this is a moot point as it is already done.

Uh, no. Because the group does not believe being gay betters oneself into a good man. I still ask, why do gays want to join groups that are not down with their choice? Yes, gays are allowed. Girls, too. And you will see the BSA continue their decline because of both.

Quote:
But, as for religion, the NFL and habitat for humanity do not prevent atheists from joining, nor force all members to take part in the prayers.
Requiring a religion is religious by definition.
Requiring a belief in a higher power is religous, even if the specific religion is not mandated.

Neither require it. The day I volunteered at Habitat you were allowed to not join in the circle if you did not wish to. But sorry, requiring a belief in a higher power is not "religious." It is sharing values. For example, by definition, atheists cannot believe there are natural human rights as they do not believe in a higher power that makes those rights natural. This is a reason atheists tilt left. They believe government gives those rights. This is a reason places like China and the FUSSR try to stamp out religion.

Such a group can have any other kind of shared beliefs and have no other religious components. They are not a religious group.

I swear so many atheists here are so afraid of the slightest mention of God I wonder how they post while the sun is up.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2019 at 1:55:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I swear so many atheists here are so afraid of the slightest mention of God I wonder how they post while the sun is up.

C'mon man, all us homeboys can post out of our closed coffins.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2019 at 2:04:27 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
You seem to believe anything that believes in God is "religious."
lol
A lot of people in America believe in God but aren't religious including many libbies.

I don't even know what the libbie here is even arguing about.
But then again, I don't think he does either 😂😂