Jeffrey Epstein

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
August 11th, 2019 at 1:23:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Note: clever to say 'hang on now' since hung on now would sound absurd, thus proving that at times the distinction can indeed be useful?

Hang is present tense. It would be correct to say he "hung on" for a long time (past tense).

Quote: Fleastiff
Hang on now. I was solely referring to the fact that a painting might be hung but a person is hanged.

Merriam Webster says that it is commonly believed that correct English is to say a person is "hanged" until death (although a person "hung" on to a trapeze bar for a long period), but an inanimate objected is "hung". In reality there is no formal rule of grammar that states such a distinction. It is simply a widely held belief.
August 11th, 2019 at 3:20:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just know nobody ever describes me as "well hung."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 11th, 2019 at 4:22:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin

It was the name of an HBO series about a male prostitute that aired decade ago. He goes into prostitution for the same reason that women go into it. He lost everything in the divorce and his house burns down without insurance, and he is living in a tent and his children despise him.

==========================

It's interesting that Merriam Webster would say the "hanged" if you are executed and "hung" if you are referring to inanimate objects is not really a grammar rule. It is just a widely believed rule.

What precisely makes a "grammar rule" or an "orthography rule"? If you look at the words "conceit", "deceit", and "receipt" you say only one of those words has a silent "p". But clearly, those words are related to the verbs "conceive", "deceive" and "receive", and only one adds a "silent p". All three words are built on Latin capere "seize, grasp, take".

So what makes the silent "p" the correct spelling for only one word. Isn't it just a custom that has been in effect for a long time? I understand that Daniel Webster had a difficult time deciding which spelling to put in his dictionary.
August 11th, 2019 at 5:30:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
I just know nobody ever describes me as "well hung."
Well, at least they don't say you are well-hanged either.
August 11th, 2019 at 5:49:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
So what makes the silent "p" the correct spelling for only one word. Isn't it just a custom that has been in effect for a long time? I understand that Daniel Webster had a difficult time deciding which spelling to put in his dictionary.

I think one could site thousands of examples where English isn't consistent with itself. Like why does ballet have to L's and valet one only. As I recall, you've posted many examples in the Spanish Word of the Day thread. It is what it is.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 11th, 2019 at 9:19:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I think one could site thousands of examples where English isn't consistent with itself. It is what it is.

I know there are a lot of inconsistencies, but there is still considered a "proper" rule. The word "vallet" is mispelled.

The point about the "hung" vs "hanged" controversy according to this website is there is no "proper" rule. But lots of people think there is one.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/hung-or-hanged
August 12th, 2019 at 11:23:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think one could site thousands of examples where English isn't consistent with itself. Like why does ballet have to L's and valet one only. As I recall, you've posted many examples in the Spanish Word of the Day thread. It is what it is.

This is me not looking anything up, so fwiw.

Ballet is French. The French double their L's. The 'et' is said "ay" when they originate a word. Everyone says that word pretty much the same, and all of the language of ballet is French.

Valet may be French originally, but it comes here from the English, who say "VAL-et", not val-LAY. So 1 L. Could well be Germanic instead, as is much of British English.

We say val-LAY in America for some reason, spelling it the same- perhaps because of the particular job of parking cars, which is different from English VAL-ets jobs, who attend to the personal dress of the Master of the House.

It's a puzzle.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 13th, 2019 at 1:02:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
This is me not looking anything up, so fwiw.
It's a puzzle.

I did look it up.

Old French the language spoken in Northern France from the 8th century to the 14th century.
Middle French language from the 14th to the early 17th centuries.

Both words are from Latin but they had different etymologies.

Valet seems to have entered English duringthe Middle English period (7 centuries ago) from Old French, while "ballet" entered English in Modern English period (360 years ago) from Middle French from Italian.

The word "valet" used to have a letter 's' 8 centuries ago, and had a double 'l' over 13 centuries ago.

English valet mid-14th century
Old French valet, variant of vaslet (12c.), from
Gallo-Roman vassellittus diminutive of
Medieval Latin vassallus, from vassus "servant"

English ballet 1660s, from
French ballette from
Italian balletto, diminutive of ballo from
Late Latin ballare from
Greek ballizein
August 15th, 2019 at 5:55:06 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Maybe it wasn’t suicide.

There are 760 prisoners in that facility. Of all the people they had to choose from, they housed Epstein with a muscle bound serial killer facing the death penalty.

El Chapo got better treatment when he was held there.

Even after Epstein was found unconscious with marks on his neck a few weeks ago, they still housed him with the serial killer until hours before he was found dead.

Now they report Epstein had multiple broken neck bones.

"One of the breaks was to Epstein’s hyoid bone, an injury that experts told the Washington Post is more common in homicide victims."
August 15th, 2019 at 6:27:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Maybe it wasn’t suicide.

I agree
This needs to be investigated.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »