Garbage Can Blowing Away

Page 1 of 212>
April 15th, 2013 at 10:33:31 AM permalink
Mondatta
Threads: 2
This is important! I put my garbage can outside, go to work. Come back, and it has blown away. This happened once on a windy day, but it'll happen again. Need your help!
April 15th, 2013 at 11:35:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Square it up and it will be less likely to roll. Sort of like a giant nut going over it.
April 15th, 2013 at 12:20:03 PM permalink
Mondatta
Threads: 2
What do you mean, square it up. Also, this is after the garbage "person" has taken the trash out of it.
April 15th, 2013 at 1:19:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Something round tends to roll, but squared up it will be less likely to be blown by the wind. Ofcourse someone may have taken it but we will ignore that possibility right now. Attach some exterior frame that is square so that when it falls to its side it will not roll. Think of the garbage can as a round tapered bolt with a squarish wooden nut being attached to it near its middle... the square part prevents it rolling.
April 16th, 2013 at 11:52:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I remember this happening when I lived in Baltimore. If a storm hit in the early afternoon, after the trash pick, trash cans, especially the round ones, would be blowing all over the neighborhood. Personally, I learned to paint my house number on mine. Before then, some of my neighbors evidently thought it was a White Elephant game, where you were entitled to steal as many trash cans from others as you lost or were too lazy to look for.

Aside from square cans and painting your house number, as a last resort you can use trash bags.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 16th, 2013 at 12:52:39 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Just use a u-bolt, 4 lock washers, and 4 nuts. Total cost like $4.

Drill two holes high up on the rim, maybe 1” – 2” down from the opening where it’s its thickest. Thread nut an inch onto u-bolt, followed by a locking washer. Insert bolt end through the drilled holes, then slide locking washer over end followed by the other nut. Crank it all down nice and tight.

Use a 6” or bigger u-bolt. Now you have a handle as well as this long ass thing sticking out that’ll prevent it from rolling. And if the wind blows enough to actually slide the whole thing, the bolt side will be heavier and encourage it to slide on the bolt. Good chance it’ll dig into or catch something (yard, curb, whatever) Only downside is that if you have multiple cans, you can’t stack them inside of each other Dixie cup style.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 28th, 2016 at 6:03:16 PM permalink
Amazingaaron
Threads: 0
Quote: Mondatta
This is important! I put my garbage can outside, go to work. Come back, and it has blown away. This happened once on a windy day, but it'll happen again. Need your help!

Mine kept blowing over too. Found an answer. Email a picture of your can to (redacted by management) and they will take care of you. Cheap too!
July 28th, 2016 at 8:32:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Amazingaaron
Mine kept blowing over too. Found an answer. Email a picture of your can to (redacted by management) and they will take care of you. Cheap too!

I think this is our first spam at DT. Congratulations! Nice segue too.
July 29th, 2016 at 6:48:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
In Tampa all our garbage cans are big, heavy, and uniform
So heavy they never get knocked down, lid is attached
They are all provided by the county
Its all automated down here
Garbage truck has mechanical arms that grab the trash can and empty them into the garbage truck
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 29th, 2016 at 6:50:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
In Tampa all our garbage cans are big, heavy, and uniform
So heavy they never get knocked down, lid is attached
They are all provided by the county
Its all automated down here
Garbage truck has mechanical arms that grab the trash can and empty them into the garbage truck

That's how it is at my mom's house in California too. However, if those cans were empty and the lid were left open, I could see a strong wind blowing them around, and perhaps hurting small children.
Page 1 of 212>