Poll
7 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

May 18th, 2019 at 6:29:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

James Holzhauer lives in Las Vegas since 2008, but he was born July 1984 (age 34) in Naperville, Illinois. The current version of Jeapordy with Alex Trebak premiered on September 10, 1984.

The TV show Jeapordy shoots five days (air Mon-Fri) in one day, for which Alex Trebak is paid just under $200,000.

From 1984 to 2003 someone was only permitted to win a maximum of 5 days in a row. They were then retired and given a slot in a tournament of champions. After the rules changed someone won 74 straight games in 2004, with winnings averaging under $250K per week.

James initially won $82,606 on shows that appeared on Thursday and Friday. That is considered good, but nowhere near a record-breaking performance.

For the next four weeks James has won over $400,000 per week (i.e. one day of filming) before he had to take a break for two weeks for a planned tournament. He resumes on Monday.

No one has ever made money this fast in Jeapordy. In only game one game did he fail to give a correct response in Final Jeopardy! He made only $27,190 in that game.

The speed with which he can recall facts is astounding. In those four weeks he has broke the previous maximum one day earnings of $77K a total of 10/20 days. He bets very aggressively gambling huge percentages of his winnings whenever he gets a chance.

The question now is can James ever be beaten?

What movie is this image from?
May 18th, 2019 at 7:14:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
He will be beaten someday.

His betting style on the Daily Doubles is very risky. It will eventually bite him.

But thus far he has been very enjoyable to watch.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 18th, 2019 at 9:56:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
he has not only failed to get the right answer in final jeopardy at least once, but he at least once failed to make it a runaway for final J. As awesome as that is if it is in fact "only once" for each, finally both things will converge.

I agree that the sheer riskiness will be a factor even if it is also the smartest way to go.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 18th, 2019 at 10:26:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
I agree that the sheer riskiness will be a factor even if it is also the smartest way to go.

If he was just a normal gambler he could go negative some episodes, just as long as he average higher than normal. But he can't get bumped out of the game.

I understand that they used to let the losers keep the money they had won, but the players would not take risks. Now they have standard consolation prizes of $2K and $1K. So every player is trying to get #1 position since otherwise your balance doesn't count.

From 1984 to 2002, non-winning contestants on the Trebek version received vacation packages and merchandise, which were donated by manufacturers as promotional consideration.
The Cliff Claven episode originally aired on January 18, 1990 on NBC. In this episode, Cliff Clavin (John Ratzenberger) appears on the game show Jeopardy! and game show host Alex Trebek guest stars as himself. Cliff racks up an insurmountable lead during the game, only to lose it all in the final round.

May 18th, 2019 at 10:33:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The only time I ever saw this show
was in the movie Groundhog Day.
I haven't seen a game show since
the 60's when I was home from
school sick.

A couple years ago I was getting
new tires. The waiting room was
packed with people of color.
It was 11am and some insiped
game show was on the big
screen. Most of the people in
the room were totally invested
in the game, like they watch it
every day. At 11am.

My first question was, why were
they at home at at 11am and not
at work. It was a rhetorical
question.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 18th, 2019 at 11:10:12 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I have 'commanded' my older son to try out for the show. When I asked him why he as not as of yet he told me he is still preparing and does not want to be on the show until he is highly likely to win multiple times. He has practiced for 'speed' in his crossword puzzles, and he also competes in trivia contests having made national finals. There is a large crossover between the 'crossword world' and the 'Jeopardy world'. The kid David edged out for 3rd this year in the crossword contest was a multiple time winner on Jeopardy.
I am pretty sure he will make it past any initial objective test, but not so sure he would make it past the interview process. Time will tell.....
May 18th, 2019 at 11:27:03 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
I have 'commanded' my older son to try out for the show. When I asked him why he as not as of yet he told me he is still preparing and does not want to be on the show until he is highly likely to win multiple times. He has practiced for 'speed' in his crossword puzzles, and he also competes in trivia contests having made national finals. There is a large crossover between the 'crossword world' and the 'Jeopardy world'. The kid David edged out for 3rd this year in the crossword contest was a multiple time winner on Jeopardy.
I am pretty sure he will make it past any initial objective test, but not so sure he would make it past the interview process. Time will tell.....
How did his friend do creating a Crypto currency?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 18th, 2019 at 11:40:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I have 'commanded' my older son to try out for the show.

Being on TV is more than a lot
of people can handle. They can't
think well under that kind of
stress. You don't know how
you'll do till you try it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 19th, 2019 at 5:50:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Evenbob
Being on TV is more than a lot
of people can handle. They can't
think well under that kind of
stress. You don't know how
you'll do till you try it.

True. You'll never never know for sure until after the fact. His crossword finals is being filmed, and is in front of a large (1000 people?) audience. He has one on stage once.
Hopefully we will find out!
May 19th, 2019 at 5:51:22 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: petroglyph
How did his friend do creating a Crypto currency?

That was a friend of mine's son. I am guessing it is a "no" as she hasn't mentioned it to me again.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »