Ocasio-Cortez: I Acknowledge My Privilege Being Born 'Cisgendered'

Page 3 of 5<12345>
February 3rd, 2019 at 6:49:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Oxygen. Yeah, people aren't thankful for water either until they don't have any.

I think "thankful" and "privileged" are two very different adjectives. You can be thankful you have all your major body parts, you are well fed and adequately housed, and have people who care about you.
February 3rd, 2019 at 8:43:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
I think "thankful" and "privileged" are two very different adjectives. You can be thankful you have all your major body parts, you are well fed and adequately housed, and have people who care about you.

They shown that if you simply change your name on your resume' it will affect how many call backs you get. Deshawn, Shanice, DeAndre. Isn't that privilege or lack of it that people in the majority class don't have to deal with?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 3rd, 2019 at 8:50:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They shown that if you simply change your name on your resume' it will affect how many call backs you get. Deshawn, Shanice, DeAndre. Isn't that privilege or lack of it that people in the majority class don't have to deal with?

And Bob Hope changed his name from Frances
Hope. As did scores of others with hick or
odd or foreign names. Marion Wayne to John
Wayne? Were they wrong? Hardly. We put a
lot of meaning into names.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2019 at 9:02:50 PM permalink
rxwine
But in that case, the person of Marion Wayne looks like a big rugged handsome white dude when he actually shows up for work.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 3rd, 2019 at 11:29:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
But in that case, the person of Marion Wayne looks like a big rugged handsome white dude when he actually shows up for work.

You said "Isn't that privilege or lack of it that people in the majority class don't have to deal with?"

What does privilege have to do with
anything. John Wayne changed his
name for the same reason people
might not get hired with some of
the weird names out there. We have
societal assumptions with those
names, just like the public did
with a man named Marion.

You want people to stop noticing
the society around them and get
rid of their survival instinct and
for the world to be 'fair'. Good luck
with that, it's a pipe dream..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 4th, 2019 at 2:33:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I have said the same on the other site, CHANGE YOUR NAME if this is a problem. Germans and Italians especially had to change their name last century. Sorry life is not perfect, but it happens. Dean Martin was "Dino Martin." Or go watch "The Untouchables" and check out the scene where the Sean Connery character say, "Stone? What was your name before you changed it?"

No, it is not "privilege" to have a common name. It IS privilege that a college will give you preference based on skin color because the admin wants people with the right skin tone hanging around, however.
The President is a fink.
February 4th, 2019 at 7:59:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Or go watch "The Untouchables" and check out the scene where the Sean Connery character say, "Stone? What was your name before you changed it?"

Is it a PRIVILEGE to grow up straight? I get daily updates from a college fraternity brother who came out in 1977, and he sells condos in NYC. Every month he jets off to some place and hangs out in gay clubs in London, Paris, Madrid, or some other exotic locale.
February 4th, 2019 at 8:05:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
I have said the same on the other site, CHANGE YOUR NAME if this is a problem. Germans and Italians especially had to change their name last century. Sorry life is not perfect, but it happens. Dean Martin was "Dino Martin." Or go watch "The Untouchables" and check out the scene where the Sean Connery character say, "Stone? What was your name before you changed it?"

No, it is not "privilege" to have a common name. It IS privilege that a college will give you preference based on skin color because the admin wants people with the right skin tone hanging around, however.

Sammy Davis jr could have changed his name every day along with Dino Martin, but it still didn't get him in he door when he showed up until Sinatra made a fuss about it so a black guy didn't get discriminated against. That was my point about the study. That was my point about who actually showed up under the name of John Wayne also. it helped him because white males were privileged compared to other groups.
February 4th, 2019 at 8:09:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

Is it a PRIVILEGE to grow up straight? I get daily updates from a college fraternity brother who came out in 1977, and he sells condos in NYC. Every month he jets off to some place and hangs out in gay clubs in London, Paris, Madrid, or some other exotic locale.

I would argue that the standards are better in general for gay people. But I would also argue transgender haven't gained as much ground, and since Ocasio was specifically referring to cisgendered maybe that was accurate.
February 4th, 2019 at 10:15:52 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Pacomartin

But thankful implies there is someone or something to be thankful to -- who are you thankful to that oxygen or water exists
Page 3 of 5<12345>