Quote: AZDuffman

You lost me with this one AZD??
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 15th, 2018 at 8:14:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman

You lost me with this one AZD??

She was suspended for thumb tacking at WoV then proceeded to the same pattern here over several posts. One of those subtle reminders from another within the group that behavior may not be at the standard our leaders desire. Done in a subtle way to avoid the person mentioning it being seen as trying to act in charge when they are not.

Or in less of a word-soup way, it is saying, "be careful, you are going to get yourself in trouble again."
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2018 at 8:24:42 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
She was suspended for thumb tacking at WoV then proceeded to the same pattern here over several posts. One of those subtle reminders from another within the group that behavior may not be at the standard our leaders desire. Done in a subtle way to avoid the person mentioning it being seen as trying to act in charge when they are not.

Or in less of a word-soup way, it is saying, "be careful, you are going to get yourself in trouble again."

I wasn't familiar with term, thanks for the education AZD.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 15th, 2018 at 8:37:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
I wasn't familiar with term, thanks for the education AZD.

No problem, I was not either until Wiz made it a rule. I knew the problem, not the term.

Sorry my humor and points can be dry. Though one guy I know loves that even as it drives him nuts.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2018 at 8:56:48 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

I still don't get what "thumb tacking" is
December 15th, 2018 at 9:14:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: aceofspades

It is a meaningless reply to a post in a forum that adds nothing but puts the thread back to the top of the "recent" list.

For example, if you just say

"+1"

that is thumb tacking.

If you add something of meaning after it is not.

At this point I direct anyone interested to the "Nathan's Corner" and "Discussion of the Suspension List II" threads at WoV to see what I am talking about. I'd rather not beat it as the point was to subtly let the newer person on the crew know they are headed for trouble, and I feel I am looking like I am trying to run things at this point.

Those who have worked on a large crew of guys or even been around a large group of guys in a bar or club should understand what I am getting at there.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2018 at 9:14:45 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

Thumb-tacking is a post with no furthering of the conversation. Used to build a poster's post count, bump a topic up the recent post timeline, or just show it was seen without having anything to say.

Smileys, +1, lol/lmao, stuff like that are thumbtacks.

I think the origin of calling it that is related to making a post "sticky" or "pinned", an admin function which keeps it at the top of a thread or sub-forum no matter how long it's been there. A thumb-tack artificially puts a post to the front of the chronological queue.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 15th, 2018 at 10:53:55 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
It is a meaningless reply to a post in a forum that adds nothing but puts the thread back to the top of the "recent" list.

For example, if you just say

"+1"

that is thumb tacking.

If you add something of meaning after it is not.

At this point I direct anyone interested to the "Nathan's Corner" and "Discussion of the Suspension List II" threads at WoV to see what I am talking about. I'd rather not beat it as the point was to subtly let the newer person on the crew know they are headed for trouble, and I feel I am looking like I am trying to run things at this point.

Those who have worked on a large crew of guys or even been around a large group of guys in a bar or club should understand what I am getting at there.

Quote: beachbumbabs
Thumb-tacking is a post with no furthering of the conversation. Used to build a poster's post count, bump a topic up the recent post timeline, or just show it was seen without having anything to say.

Smileys, +1, lol/lmao, stuff like that are thumbtacks.

I think the origin of calling it that is related to making a post "sticky" or "pinned", an admin function which keeps it at the top of a thread or sub-forum no matter how long it's been there. A thumb-tack artificially puts a post to the front of the chronological queue.

Ahhhh now I got it - thank you both

For further edification - would quoting someone's post and writing "LOL" because you thought it was funny be considered "thumb-tacking"?
December 15th, 2018 at 1:08:16 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Thumbtack

Pushpin
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 15th, 2018 at 1:17:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

For further edification - would quoting someone's post and writing "LOL" because you thought it was funny be considered "thumb-tacking"?

Varies. In an active thread that has multiple responses over the past hour I'd say your "LOL" is a concise expression of your feeling of the previous post or posts. If the thread has been inactive for a week and you respond "LOL" with nothing else to add then most likely that's "thumb tacking".

The vast majority of Nathan's posts at WoV are either inane drivel or thumb tacking. Not all.....