2019 Deadpool

November 14th, 2019 at 3:13:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Gulp.... I just invested in some senior housing private equity REIT!

I still think it is a good investment..... Even if the percentage of seniors not going into senior housing increases, the number of seniors is increasing faster.

Of course there are differing kinds of senior housing. Senior condos going in near my mother, lifelong neighbor looking to downsize there. Guy is in his mid-80s and still in all kinds of shape, just tired of owning a detatched home. AFIK they are full apartment-style places. A guy I know put his dad into a slightly more restrictive one that does not allow cooking beyond a microwave. That guy loves it. Eat at the canteen most nights, hang in his room if he wants.

Any of these are probably good as people don't want to take care of a big place.
The President is a fink.
November 14th, 2019 at 10:35:07 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
I'm sure my kids don't want me moving in with them, me either.

Other than "frivolous" goals like make it back to the track and get our names in a fishing record book, my life's goal is to acquire the means to house both my parents and my kid in/on my property. Folks when they get too old to manage, kid cuz life's gonna be real f#$%ing hard come his time.

I'd adopt an old. Can never have enough dads. Bit humid here, but I got your back =)

Was mentioning to mama that I saw grandma humpin' away in her garden a month back or so, same as she's done throughout my entire living memory. Mama regaled me with the story of their deck refinishing, as she has one of those mammoth ones that wrap around the house. Said contractors quoted her $3k. I said "F#$% that!" and she said "That's what your grandma said". So my 60yr old mama and 82yr old gran did the whole thing themselves. And if you think gran just swept the porch and wasn't sanding the tops of the upper railings, then I should tell you of last year when I redid their roof and turned around to see gran on the goddamn roof with me sweeping it off, as it "needed to be done and you already had the ladder out". But how'd you get up here? "Ladders right there!"

My 80's would be bad. She just joined a bowling league that she walks to, of course after tending her new 3 story colonial she moved into after my first father passed. It's about 30/70 that she outlasts me lol.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 14th, 2019 at 11:00:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
kid cuz life's gonna be real f#$%ing hard come his time.

Why, what's wrong with him. Is he
disabled in some way?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2019 at 11:14:47 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Why, what's wrong with him.

His dad is me.
November 14th, 2019 at 11:23:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
His dad is me.

Why will that stop him from learning
a trade like plumbing or carpentry
or car mechanic, and having a family.
Those jobs are in huge demand now
and will always be in demand.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2019 at 11:32:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
His dad is me.

Unless he wants to be the best drug dealer in the world or something awful, can’t you just throw your support behind him as much as possible,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 14th, 2019 at 11:48:46 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Other than "frivolous" goals like make it back to the track and get our names in a fishing record book, my life's goal is to acquire the means to house both my parents and my kid in/on my property. Folks when they get too old to manage, kid cuz life's gonna be real f#$%ing hard come his time.

I'd adopt an old. Can never have enough dads. Bit humid here, but I got your back =)
I appreciate the sentiment Face.

I admire the elders that climb on to the ice as it's floating out when they can't contribute to the clan.

Your elders are still productive, good on 'em.

Mid eighty's all week here. : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 14th, 2019 at 11:49:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
Unless he wants to be the best drug dealer in the world or something awful, can’t you just throw your support behind him as much as possible,
There is still good money to be made working for Perdue.
November 14th, 2019 at 1:22:15 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Why will that stop him from learning
a trade like plumbing or carpentry
or car mechanic, and having a family.

Those who forget the past...

I saw what happened to me, and I know why, or at least I think I do. I see how many of my current limitations are just a continuation of my own parent's limitations. I can see how so many of their plans for me weren't possible when I came of age, how things changed without any way to forecast them. And I know what crushing pressure being an adult in '19 is, what difficulties are in place now, and I can imagine those of the future. Because of my limited experience, I'm not all the good of a guide. Because of my mental issues, I'm not always that good of a person. I can't guarantee I can pay for his education, I can't guarantee I'll have an answer when needed, I can't even guarantee I'll be mentally "there" when he needs me. But I CAN give him some semblance of security, and at least in my case, it's one of life's biggest hurdles.

He can leave, and I suppose I hope he does. For his sake. But far as I'm concerned he can stay here til I die.

Quote: petroglyph
I appreciate the sentiment Face.

I hear-tell it's an actual thing with some fringe millennials. They're not gonna have kids or can't, perhaps they're living a sort of permanent bachelor/ette life, so they adopt an old. Really. They get someone at the home, some assistance with chores, perhaps a stipend, the old gets companionship and the freedom of living alone but "with help". Some do more of a straight business type thing; you live here free for life, I become your sole heir (obv more popular with The Lost, those with no living relatives). Since it's not yet caught on and become popular to attract advantage seekers, it seems to be quite the positive, especially when considering the mental health component of loneliness.

Sounds like a pretty OK arrangement. Sure as f#$% beats The Home.
November 14th, 2019 at 1:40:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
I hear-tell it's an actual thing with some fringe millennials. They're not gonna have kids or can't, perhaps they're living a sort of permanent bachelor/ette life, so they adopt an old. Really. They get someone at the home, some assistance with chores, perhaps a stipend, the old gets companionship and the freedom of living alone but "with help". Some do more of a straight business type thing; you live here free for life, I become your sole heir (obv more popular with The Lost, those with no living relatives). Since it's not yet caught on and become popular to attract advantage seekers, it seems to be quite the positive, especially when considering the mental health component of loneliness.

Sounds like a pretty OK arrangement. Sure as f#$% beats The Home.
Yes it does beat "The Home" It sounds like a very good idea for some. I'm also aware of some professional or perpetual hucksters who advertise to move in with the elderly. It isn't long before they get power of attorney, and signature authority on the checking account. The olds get cleaned out and the hucksters move on to the next victim.

I have even thought about adopting some older teen that can't get away from an orphanage or even sponsoring some immigrant for awhile. One problem with those solutions is I like my own space, and most people are a pita. Next thing is they take the last cookie, the last toilet paper and don't say anything about it and I discover it on my once weekly bm. : )Things like that.

Seems like a heck of a market out there, assisting boomers on the last leg of their journey. The ones with money will be taking SooPoo up on his geriatric villages. Po folk are scrabbling for the driest spot under a bridge. You have a good heart and idea there Face.