Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
I'd put another $20 with it and tell her
$40 fell out of her purse. I've actually
done similar things. I would always
give the money back to the person
regardless of who they are because I
want them to do the same for me.

I think the part about acting how you would want them to act to you is the essence of Christianity. Probably all the major religions, as little as I've studied them.

And you're a good man for adding $20 of your own money. You come off as an angry curmudgeon much of the time here, but I bet the real EB is a good chap.

Quote:
I dated a girl in the 70's who found a
wallet in her seat. She took the $125
and stuffed it in her purse and was
really proud of herself. I didn't date
her again.

So, why didn't you date her again? What kind of language would you use for an act that harms another human being?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 30th, 2018 at 7:50:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I think my atonement would be to go to the Hard Rock and do some gambling. You would be giving them some business to make up for the person that may have left after not being able to find a parking spot.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 30th, 2018 at 8:03:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DRich
I think my atonement would be to go to the Hard Rock and do some gambling. You would be giving them some business to make up for the person that may have left after not being able to find a parking spot.

I think you're on the right track. Would it be acceptable to just buy an overpriced t-shirt or something in the gift shop? If we say the value of the parking spot was $30 and I play at a 0.5% house edge, I'd have to bet through $6,000 to cover my sense of guilt. Of course, I could just play a higher house edge game, but I've made comments like "Please just shoot me in the head if you see me playing 6-5 blackjack," and what if somebody I said that to actually saw me playing. I just can't play badly.
November 30th, 2018 at 9:49:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Morality for mathematicians.

Quote: Wizard
If we say the value of the parking spot was $30 and I play at a 0.5% house edge, I'd have to bet through $6,000 to cover my sense of guilt..

What if you play $6K and end up ahead $500. Do you owe Hard Rock expected losses or actual losses?

By the way there is an express bus that leaves from Westcliff Park and Ride in Summerlin (no parking fee). The express bus drives on the freeways most of the way so it takes 45 minutes to get to the airport for $2 per person each way. You might want to balance that against the $16 at Vegas long term parking, plus the time spent searching for a spot. The bus has wi-fi.
https://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/routes/wax.pdf

You can also board at Suncoast, but then the ride takes an hour.

For a single person I think it is a no-brainer. For a family, it deserves some thought.
November 30th, 2018 at 10:15:15 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm very interested in this thread but haven't been able to get to a computer to read and type in a bit.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2018 at 10:18:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Would it be acceptable to just buy an overpriced t-shirt or something in the gift shop?

NO! You didn't harm them, don't do
anything. Do you think a card counter
should feel guilt? Nope, and neither
should you about using a parking
space that wasn't needed by somebody
else.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2018 at 10:31:30 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Morality for mathematicians.

What if you play $6K and end up ahead $500. Do you owe Hard Rock expected losses or actual losses?

By the way there is an express bus that leaves from Westcliff Park and Ride in Summerlin (no parking fee). The express bus drives on the freeways most of the way so it takes 45 minutes to get to the airport for $2 per person each way. You might want to balance that against the $16 at Vegas long term parking, plus the time spent searching for a spot. The bus has wi-fi.
https://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/routes/wax.pdf

You can also board at Suncoast, but then the ride takes an hour.

For a single person I think it is a no-brainer. For a family, it deserves some thought.

I've done the Suncoast and Red Rock buses lots of times, usually going back home. Going to the airport you're supposed to be a hotel guest and have a reservation, but a story and a tip will get around that. Also thought about doing the Westcliff bus, but never actually did. As for this trip, with four of us going, it was worth the parking expense for the convenience.

As the question of winning if I played to cover the parking, I wouldn't have felt badly about that. As I say in my footer at WoV, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, but that you had a good bet.
November 30th, 2018 at 10:35:08 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
NO! You didn't harm them, don't do
anything. Do you think a card counter
should feel guilt? Nope, and neither
should you about using a parking
space that wasn't needed by somebody
else.

I appreciate your perspective, but I'm sure there was a sign somewhere that said "parking for patron use only." I always respect the rules when I'm in someone else's house or business. Lots of Vegas locals park there to avoid long-term airport parking and I bet they don't like it. That may have been in part why they had to build a whole second parking garage.

As to the card counting comparison, I doubt they have any sign prohibiting card counting. That is just part of the game. Only PaigowDan might have found fault in doing that.
November 30th, 2018 at 11:17:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
what if somebody I said that to actually saw me playing
and had a gun? !!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 30th, 2018 at 12:01:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I've done the Suncoast and Red Rock buses lots of times, usually going back home. Going to the airport you're supposed to be a hotel guest and have a reservation, but a story and a tip will get around that. Also thought about doing the Westcliff bus, but never actually did.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean the Suncoast private bus, but the WAX (Westcliff-Airport Express) is a public bus which goes from Westcliff Park and Ride to the Airport in about 45 minutes (with stops downtown) for $2 each way. That same public bus actually starts from Suncoast and goes to the Park and Ride.

That little segment, however, takes 15 minutes for what should be a 2 mile drive, because the bus take a leisurely loop down Charleston.

As for this trip, with four of us going, it was worth the parking expense for the convenience.

With a full carload of people, public transit is often not the best option
Page 2 of 4<1234>