1 vote (4.54%)
8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 25th, 2019 at 12:31:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Just because a person becomes POTUS does not meant they lose all constitutional rights, amiright?

Pelosi won't release hers, start there and work your way up.

Obama still hasn't released his college records has he?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 25th, 2019 at 2:21:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Just because a person becomes POTUS does not meant they lose all constitutional rights, amiright?
Pelosi won't release hers, start there and work your way up.Obama still hasn't released his college records has he?

Clinton never released his medical records.
That's fine, he shouldn't have to.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2019 at 4:20:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
This discussion about releasing tax returns is really easy. You absolutely should not have to. If the voters think it is important that you should have that is up to them. In the 2016 election enough voters did not feel that not seeing DJT's tax return was enough of a reason not to vote for him. The people have spoken on this issue.
February 25th, 2019 at 5:41:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: SOOPOO
This discussion about releasing tax returns is really easy. You absolutely should not have to. If the voters think it is important that you should have that is up to them. In the 2016 election enough voters did not feel that not seeing DJT's tax return was enough of a reason not to vote for him. The people have spoken on this issue.

I agree. I would be more inclined to vote for someone who released them, but it would only factor into my decision about 5%.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 25th, 2019 at 6:31:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
I agree. I would be more inclined to vote for someone who released them, but it would only factor into my decision about 5%.

Curious why that makes them a better candidate in your eyes? Would it make a difference what the tax returns showed? Rich is good, poor is good or is average income good.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 26th, 2019 at 5:20:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
Curious why that makes them a better candidate in your eyes? Would it make a difference what the tax returns showed? Rich is good, poor is good or is average income good.

My tax returns show what stocks I own (if they pay dividends). I abhor cigarettes and smoking in general, but still own stock in a British cigarette maker due to it being bought and then split off from a stock I already owned. I don't think much of it. It's up a bunch and if I sell it I'd have to pay the capital gains tax on it now which I don't want to do. But the 'optics' on owning a tobacco stock are not good if running for public office.
You donated $1,000,000 to the Columbia endowment fund but only $100 to the Food Bank?
Etc....
February 26th, 2019 at 1:57:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

It shows an openness and a civic responsibility. If someone doesn't release them, I assume there is something ugly they are hiding. In the case of Trump, I assume he paid zero or very little taxes with all kinds of tricks and perhaps outright tax evasion. For what it's worth, I think the Clintons were dodgy with money too and I still don't believe she just got lucky when she parlayed $1,000 to $100,000 in the stock market.

Then again, maybe somebody who know how to work the system to his/her advantage knows how to get things done. As much as I admire Jimmy Carter as a man, he was not the best president ever.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 26th, 2019 at 4:17:46 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
It shows an openness and a civic responsibility. If someone doesn't release them, I assume there is something ugly they are hiding. In the case of Trump, I assume he paid zero or very little taxes with all kinds of tricks and perhaps outright tax evasion. For what it's worth, I think the Clintons were dodgy with money too and I still don't believe she just got lucky when she parlayed $1,000 to $100,000 in the stock market.

Then again, maybe somebody who know how to work the system to his/her advantage knows how to get things done. As much as I admire Jimmy Carter as a man, he was not the best president ever.

Mike you are moving away from one of the fundamental rights and tenets of Western democracies. You are assuming guilt and asking your presidential candidate to prove innocence. Rules like this are just one more nail in the coffin of freedom. Maybe we can just burn him at the stake to see if he survives to proof his innocence. That was once an accepted method.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 26th, 2019 at 4:41:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Maybe we can just burn him at the stake to see if he survives to proof his innocence. That was once an accepted method.

Or see if he weighs the same as a duck.
The President is a fink.
February 26th, 2019 at 6:46:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Mike you are moving away from one of the fundamental rights and tenets of Western democracies. You are assuming guilt and asking your presidential candidate to prove innocence. Rules like this are just one more nail in the coffin of freedom. Maybe we can just burn him at the stake to see if he survives to proof his innocence. That was once an accepted method.

The Constitution gives the President all kinds of powers I don't have. He has exceptional powers, we needn't feel guilty for exceptional scrutiny.

Granted, opinions don't matter, as there are only a few requirements.

Still I don't understand the reluctance to know a lot about the person running the entire country.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?