Musical instruments you play, or want to play

Page 3 of 4<1234>
September 17th, 2018 at 7:20:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Good for him/her. Most teachers wouldn't have the nerve to say that today.

I've bought guitars, a banjo, a flute, a
harmonica. One problem is I have
giant hands, never met anybody
with bigger hands than me. This
seems to be a hindrance on lots
of instruments. I ended up learning
to play nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 17th, 2018 at 7:22:38 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: DRich
When I was 12 I played the trumpet until the music teacher at school suggested I take up sports. He was correct, I was awful and to this day I do not understand peoples attraction to it. It is just noise to me.

Funny, my HS track coach used to ask if I might rather play a horn.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 17th, 2018 at 7:41:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I was in choir in elementary school and my voice broke. The teacher said I could stay in the choir but I was only allowed to mouth the words. I never went back to choir.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 17th, 2018 at 8:46:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
One problem is I have
giant hands, never met anybody
with bigger hands than me.

Interesting. For someone my height, I have comparatively small hands.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 17th, 2018 at 11:32:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Yes, the first movement, in the key of E. I play what I think is the full-blown version, not a simplified one. In other words, this one, which I need to pay attention. I play it too loud and fast.

Moonlight Sonata has been getting sexier on youtube lately.

September 18th, 2018 at 3:44:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think there are two accordions. The normal and the Cajun. Totally different instruments, I understand.

Bagpipes saved one British officer's life on D-Day. He was marching up and down the beach playing the pipes and the Germans seeing this soldier standing up straight and playing bagpipes while all around him men were crawling and hiding behind what cover they could find, decided he had gone insane and refused to shoot at him.

Pipers are sometimes subject to infections though no longer is it microbes from a sheep's stomach.

Playing the pipes or playing a didgeridoo is advantageous for those who suffer from sleep apnea caused by Cheynes-Stokes respiration.
September 18th, 2018 at 6:40:48 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Seems like there are only two pieces you ever hear on the bagpipes, Amazing Grace and Scotland the Brave.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 18th, 2018 at 8:52:09 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have been to a few festivals that have multiple bands, and have heard lots of different songs.

Unfortunately, due to the limited range of the instrument, and a standard form that most of them follow, much of them are quite similar sounding.

One of the best ones, though, was in a post-competition exhibition by some of the top bands, where they played non-traditional songs. One of them was some kind of calypso fusion with tall hand drums and other instruments.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 18th, 2018 at 9:29:09 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Not sure about them, but the Red Hot Chilli Pipers are apparently the most famous bagpipe band on the planet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 18th, 2018 at 9:57:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Dalex64
Not sure about them, but the Red Hot Chilli Pipers are apparently the most famous bagpipe band on the planet.

Yes, that is what I meant.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 4<1234>