Musical instruments you play, or want to play

Page 1 of 41234>
September 16th, 2018 at 7:19:39 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
What musical instruments do you play?

How long have you played it?

Are there instruments you want to learn, or wish you had learned?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 16th, 2018 at 7:27:57 AM permalink
Dalex64
My main instrument is Clarinet. I started in 5th grade, and played it through 11th grade. My senior year I switched to oboe. I played them in both band an orchestra.

After that, I took about 20 years off, before joining a community band. I have been playing clarinet in that band for about 5 years now.

During that time, a small ensemble of the band was looking for E-Flat Alto Horn players, a brass instrument that is no longer in common use. I taught myself that, and now play that as well.

That opened up an opportunity to play in a civil-war era recreation band. I also play Eb Alto in that band, but almost all of our horns are actual ~150 year old civil war era over-the-shoulder (rear facing bell) saxhorns.

I have also dabbled a bit with piano, took a couple of "class piano" classes (basics for teachers) in college and taught myself a bit more after that. I bought an electronic piano for that purpose, and got my kids lessons and now they are quite good. (I am not)

I wish I had learned piano earlier and more formally, and also wish I had learned to play guitar.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 16th, 2018 at 8:09:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
We all wish we could play more instruments. I'm probably tone deaf and wouldn't know an octave from an octothorpe but that doesn't mean I don't regret not having learned something about music and learned to play an instrument.

Airports, train stations, shopping malls often have UPlayMe pianos and sometimes a travelling pianist will use it, sometimes a janitor or a customs officer or sometimes just someone who enjoys using whatever skill he has. The accumulated money usually goes to charity the piano comes from some music store, there is no great cost to it. Mall shoppers linger and spend more money, bored travelers spend less time rioting, passersby stop and 'smell the roses' or something.

You can be marooned in some cabin in the woods for awhile, its good to be able to play a violin. A guitar, a lone candle and a few bottles of beer can make the aftermath of an earthquake a bit more bearable.

Busking is always an option if you have some talent and training.

One man in Clearwater, Florida (Homeless, drug and alcohol problems) sat down at a street piano outside a music store and did so well the local tv station and the store sent him to drug rehab and he got a job as a piano teacher.

Now playing twelfth century music on twelfth century instruments, that might be a bit extreme but basic competence is always a good thing to have.
September 16th, 2018 at 10:03:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I play the piano. I might spend 15 minutes a week with it, usually while I'm waiting for my daughter to get ready for school. The louder and faster I play, the more impatient I am. I'm currently working on the Moonlight Sonata and Pachelbel's Canon. To be honest, I've been plugging away at Moonlight for years and still can't close the deal. I also play the Melodica for fun. Everyone in my family hates it when I play it, but I think it is an underrated instrument, especially for about the $25 that it costs.

I played the trumpet in junior high and dinked around with the guitar in my 20's. Never could make a good sounding F chord.

Quote: Dalex64
Are there instruments you want to learn, or wish you had learned?

I know they are hated by most, but I'd like to get and learn the accordion.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 16th, 2018 at 10:15:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I know they are hated by most, but I'd like to get and learn the accordion.

An underrated instrument. It has sort of become the instrument of intellectuals in the present day.

Ted Talk on the Accordion, Cory Pesaturo.

Cory Pesaturo will be at the 19th Annual Las Vegas International Accordion Convention 15th October – 18th October 2018

September 16th, 2018 at 11:33:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Did you all grow up with the Hammond organ guy at your local mall?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 17th, 2018 at 1:15:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Did you all grow up with the Hammond organ guy at your local mall?

You have to at least like Cajun accordion music

September 17th, 2018 at 4:58:15 AM permalink
Dalex64
"Melodica Men" have some great videos on YouTube.

I also heard a joke along the lines of: someone broke into the band equipment storage room. They dropped off an accordian.
September 17th, 2018 at 10:03:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Q: How can you tell an accordion in perfect pitch?

It's thrown out a window and directly hits and smashes another accordion on the ground.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 17th, 2018 at 10:25:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
To make it easier for everyone who is interested, here is a link to the Melodica Men youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9wGXdQrN9-dcQucuzRzNw

They tend to wear costumes and act goofy while putting on an excellent musical melodica performance.
Page 1 of 41234>