survival, foraging, etc

November 5th, 2019 at 10:08:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
OG! Can I get an ID, or is that beyond you?
Let me pull out a guide and I'll give it a shot
Quote:
Ain't fixin' to eat them,
that's good 'cuz shrooms with gills you don't want to mess with, the ID has to leave 'no doubt'.  
Quote:
just need to know what they are so I can make arrangements.
arrangements? 
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 5th, 2019 at 10:13:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I interpreted the term 'arrangements' to embrace transplanting or destruction if too near a dog run or child's play area or competing 'crops'.
November 5th, 2019 at 10:17:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: odiousgambit

arrangements? 

I thought FACE was making his "special" spaghetti dish. See same pic above.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2019 at 10:30:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
the picture seems to show the gills are attached and that there is no veil remnant. A veil is a covering for the gills that rips off when it grows, staying lower down on the stem. The color is important, could that be purplish? If so I'd take a wild guess that it is a Pink Mycena, which according to the guide can be purple

"Some kind of mycena" is slightly less wild of a guess. I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Like sunfish, there are an awful lot of mycena varieties. If you'd say it is more white than purple, I might take another stab.
November 5th, 2019 at 10:35:59 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, no, sillies. I know what psilocybin look like. And I do read OG so I know not to f#$% with gills without 100% ID.

Flea's got it. That's my mound of sawgrass that's inundated, and the dogs are always chewing in it. Plus they'll certainly fall in when they do fall, and nothing goes in my pond without a chem study. Just need an ID so I can determine whether to encourage them or if they need prejudicial eradication. The "arrangements", as it were =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 5th, 2019 at 10:45:57 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
The color is important, could that be purplish?

Well....s#$%. I'll have to wait until the neighbor's get home if you need a color confirmation. All I see is grey and what I'd call "crick foam cream". I don't see white OR purple, not that that means it's not there.

No veil whatsoever that I saw. I know what a fungal veil is and unless it drops when they're damn near microscopic, these don't have one. Or at least nothing like the veils I'm used to. Perhaps they drop when they're too low and still obscured by the grass...

"Mycena" might be good enough for a chem study. Thanks so far =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 5th, 2019 at 11:17:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
the guide doesn't seem to get too alarmed about them, though eating them doesn't seem to be 'thing'

check out google images and you'll probably also agree mycena is a good guess, but it is a guess

https://www.google.com/search?q=mycena&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNRjL-Tagvt-oBOcTx-TrdHFwd4J4g:1572981283071&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAmvb049PlAhVEsZ4KHbhSDa8Q_AUIESgB&biw=1138&bih=527
May 21st, 2020 at 4:22:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I can watch some pretty lame survival* shows when I'm bored, and even forgive them for adding extra drama and contrived situations. Just don't insult my intelligence. 

So I saw that a channel was doing a bunch of "Dual Survival" episodes and though I never watched more than a few minutes before, I decided I would record and watch these, previously they seemed fairly OK. It's the one with the barefoot dude Cody Lundin. So I'm watching the first one I recorded and they're put in a situation where they find a junked mountain bike along with a few miscellaneous items. Well, that makes it a bit ridiculous, how far from civilization could that be? But I go along with it. 

The other guy, ex-Seal I think, knows how to make a compass if you have earbuds, those have a magnet to make the tiny speakers work, so they have the earbud be in the misc items. He uses it to magnetize a piece of the bike and hangs it from a hair. OK, weird to find that earbud, but they're showing a how-to and I go along with it. 

And the bike guy has left them a topographical map. Nice. They bring out that they don't know where they are, though, so the map is not useful yet. And they say they know the north-south dimension from the makeshift compass, but don't know which way is north or south due to overcast skies and fog. As they are announcing that, you can see shadows being cast. Ummm, I think you should have just said you're going to show how to proceed denying yourself full use of the compass. Don't insult my intelligence.

It's fading light and time for Cody to make fire with friction, one of his specialties. So they show him making a very fancy fly-wheel type contraption [a pump fire drill I think it's called] from scratch supposedly. He has this pocket knife going and the next thing you know he's got pieces of wood with sawed edges and a hole that was clearly made with a drill bit. I couldn't find an image of one that was as fancy as the one he made, but below is a simpler one to give you an idea. Come on guys, don't insult my intelligence. 

Next day they head out in the sun, still not knowing north/south and come to a stream. The Seal guy looks at the map and declares they now know where they are because there's a stream on the map too. Really? Too much sure enough, so I turn it off, stop the recording of the new episodes, delete what was recorded, and realize what I accomplished was learning this was an unwatchable show. 

* that's SURVIVAL type not SURVIVOR type ... grrrrrrrrrr!
May 21st, 2020 at 10:42:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I can watch some pretty lame survival* shows

All 'reality' shows are 95% fake.
They're all set up in advance.
I like American Pickers, still
watch it. But it's mostly set
up fakery. Mike and Frank
never travel in the van, they
arrive at the picks separately
in their own transportation.

The shows producers have
gone in weeks before and
set the prices
with people and totally
coached them on what to
do during taping. Danielle
does basically nothing at
the home base when the
cameras aren't there. She
runs 2 other businesses
on her off time.

Frank and Mike never ever
ever ride around the country
looking for stuff with a camera
crew following them. Every single
bit of the show is planned far
in advance, just like on Pawn
Stars. Total fakery from start
to finish.

I watch for the antiques they
find. That part is not faked.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2020 at 4:23:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Les Stroud had the best survival show on television. Survivorman.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW