survival, foraging, etc

September 3rd, 2018 at 11:12:05 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: odiousgambit
It might be coming down to whether or not I trust my life to some dude on youtube. Would you?

Well, he's evidently not just some dude, but somebody who seems to have some credentials, though I have to say they are of the minor league type. He comes across as very credible to me, so, yeah, that gets back to the trust thing.

The first link below indicates some credentials, the second link is one of his youtube videos.

https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/nutrition-alumnus-goes-wild-foraging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbeBEF1cBE&t=63s

If that video has it right, I have in my possession a good amount of "chicken of the woods" - Cincinnatus variety I'd say. It clearly is *not* what he says you might misidentify as chicken of the woods, and from what he says it would be hard to do, it is definitely not what he cites as the only possible mistakes, though I would add 'something slimey' to the two he mentions. If it turns out to be poison mushrooms, it would appear to be a case of discovering a variety previously unknown, that doesn't seem likely. These were growing on a stump [first pic with beer can for scale], growing shelf-style, not slimey, no gills. It just has to be 99.99% chances they are the real deal, 99.999% chances they at least won't make you sick assuming no allergic reaction. 99.9999% that it won't kill me. *If* the video has it right!

Second image [a quarter for scale] is most of what I have left after using a bit of it to seed about 6-7 big logs and trunks laying around in some woods handy to me and not handy to others [just off my property]. So I was confident enough about the ID to get started trying to make it spread. I'll use some more, too, to seed some other downed oaks that won't be as handy but not that far either.

I've searched the internet and mycologist help is not that close. I emailed though the local agricultural extension guy to see if he can help.

Will I eat some if he can't? I'm getting pretty close to a 'yes' on that, starting with just a bit of course.
"Hen" of the woods. It's an Italian thing. They grow at the base of oak trees, not on them. They can get pretty big well over five pounds. Most people boil them before sauteing, marinading, cooking in red gravy (Italian style) ect. They can make some peoples lips a little numb but most people are not allergic.
September 3rd, 2018 at 11:35:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
They can make some peoples lips a little numb but most people are not allergic.

Is your Walmart out of food? I would eat
this stuff if I was starving to death and
it was the only thing available. Maybe.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 3rd, 2018 at 12:54:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: pew
"Hen" of the woods. It's an Italian thing. They grow at the base of oak trees, not on them. They can get pretty big well over five pounds. Most people boil them before sauteing, marinading, cooking in red gravy (Italian style) ect. They can make some peoples lips a little numb but most people are not allergic.

There *is* a Hen of the Woods - but it is different than Chicken of the Woods. Presumably also can taste like chicken? Not sure I have ever spotted 'hen', but hard to say what I might have seen when not looking for it and having in mind trying to ID it.

As for Chicken of the Woods, so far:

*for an initial trial , I let a small piece simmer for a long time then served it on some rice. I wasn't sure it tasted like chicken and I noted a faint bitter taste. You might say that was a bad start but it was a great start: I did not poison myself, as it turned out!

*I was pretty sure tomato sauce would be good. So next I used one of the brands of spaghetti sauce you find in the stores and simmered the c.o.t.w. in it for a good bit and served it over pasta. I did not notice the bitter taste at all and it was a big hit with me [wife has vowed never to try it]. Where the pieces were a bit thick it *was* like chicken and once *did* fool me into thinking I had bit into some chicken for a split second when something distracted me.

*I talked to my brother about it, a good cook [it is not a family tradition to hunt mushrooms though] and he asked if it was like cooking with mushrooms you get in the store. It is not; it is firmer in texture, very much like meat.

*I'm planning next to make creole sauce and make "Chicken" Creole!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 3rd, 2018 at 12:55:07 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Evenbob
Is your Walmart out of food? I would eat
this stuff if I was starving to death and
it was the only thing available. Maybe.

you're just missing out again, Bob!
September 3rd, 2018 at 1:19:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
you're just missing out again, Bob!

No I'm not. If you haven't noticed, in
the produce section of any good grocery,
there are scores of items to choose
from, most of which I don't eat either.

I get celery, tomatoes, Brussell sprouts,
cauliflower, Daikon, red radishes, turnips,
rutabaga, cabbage, garlic, onions, green
peppers, zucchini, every week. That's
plenty for me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 3rd, 2018 at 2:43:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There *is* a Hen of the Woods - but it is different than Chicken of the Woods.

One of the times when I got excited about a winters worth of free mushrooms, I went at it like Warren Buffet. Instead of trying to be able to identify every mushroom in the woods, I learned 3 very well and just hunted them. Once you are comfortable with that, branch out one fungus at a time.

In my youth, I went out with a friend in search of magic mushrooms. I as amazed at how many different mushrooms he would eat right out of the field, that looked different. None of which were the big white angel of death types. Although meadow mushrooms grow well on the PNW coastlands. We never did find any magic ones.

Lived in logging country. There are grocery bags of Chantrelles and Morrells if a person is willing to do some hiking.

South Central AK, is full of King Bolete's which are simple to identify.

Do you try try the field test, and rub in on your lips to see if they go numb?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 3rd, 2018 at 4:51:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: petroglyph
Do you try try the field test, and rub in on your lips to see if they go numb?

I have to admit if my lips went numb I wouldn't eat them, but I wouldn't trust any test like that alone to eliminate the ones you don't want to eat. Some of these things are old wives tales, can't say about this one you mention other than to say 'haven't heard that before'

I like your idea of sticking to ones you know and being cautious about any others.

where I'm at:

*anything with gills, out of the question, probably forever
*I can identify c.o.t.w. - just a fact now
*willing to ID and eat Morels, just havent had any luck finding them
*maybe one day Chanterelles, they don't have gills, but since there is the False Chanterelle I think you'd have to be able to have them side by side and say with confidence, 'this is a false one here, this one is the real deal'
September 3rd, 2018 at 5:31:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
I have to admit if my lips went numb I wouldn't eat them'

In the show Aquarius, about the Manson
Family, they cook up a bunch of poison
shrooms and kill a bunch of black guys
with them. Never happened in real life.
Manson did hate blacks, however.
September 4th, 2018 at 2:56:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, I've got a new word to slap you doubting dudes with ... like you, Bob!

you are guilty of

Mycophobia!
September 4th, 2018 at 11:40:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
OK, I've got a new word to slap you doubting dudes with ... like you, Bob!

Actually, I stopped eating shrooms in
the 80's because they are a leading
cause of gout flare up's..