Future of Commercial TV

May 30th, 2014 at 8:47:06 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
To continue with this little off topic derail, I wonder when we're going to reach the limit, both technological and... what's the word I'm looking for... I guess "satisfaction".

At least with the TVs, it appears we're almost at the limit. With this new UltraHD stuff in the other thread, I'm sure we'll eventually be able to go even higher. But we're near the limit of what the human eye can sense. Higher def, more FPS, the eye can no longer register the improvements. Are people finally going to stop clamoring for more? Or is “having better” the only thing that matters, even if you can’t perceive the improvement? Is it all about possession?

I just find it curious. I’m not into all the TV stuff because it doesn’t interest me, but I’m obviously an avid fisherman. The fish finders they have out now are staggering.

For several thousand dollars, you can get side view sonar that paints a 3D picture of everything around you. The shape of the bottom, structure, the fish down there, everything there is as if you were standing on the floor. It’ll tell you the temp of the water from the surface to the floor, GPS coordinates of where you are; often times it’ll even hook up to your trolling motor and automatically buzz you along an entered course. I imagine some models even allow you to crank up the wattage to fry your fish on the fin, so you can just reel it in and start eating =p

Even mine is kind of powerful. It’s bottom of the range, but it tells me water temp, shows the stratification of the water, and if you understand how it works and know how to read it, it can allow you to paint a picture in your mind of what’s down below. It won’t “show” a tree stump, but if you “get it”, you can see a tree stump when you pass over it.

But when the trolling motor and blaring radio drains my battery of all juice, I still use this.

No, if a tree stump pokes 6” out of the mud, I can’t see it with this. But any structure I actually seek out when fishing, any dangerous shallow areas I’d need a depth finder for, this stupid thing is there for it all. Whether I have the $3,500 set up pictured above, or some 1940’s technology I picked up for free because no one wanted it, I will find the exact same structure and catch the exact same amount of fish.

Why, then, do so many people fall all over themselves to drain their bank accounts? Is “satisfaction” attainable, or is it just a theory?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 30th, 2014 at 9:04:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Are people finally going to stop clamoring for more? Or is “having better” the only thing that matters, even if you can’t perceive the improvement?

The next step is to improve human vision. We can see very well, and perceive lots of colors, but we could stand to acquire some more better definition and one more color receptors. Indeed some poeple are tetrachromatic already (must people are trichromatic).

Seriously, the next improvement will be true 3-dimensional TV, holographic and shot with a wider angle of view (not 360, but perhaps 270).

Of course the quality of the programming can always be improved.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 30th, 2014 at 9:29:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
To continue with this little off topic derail, I wonder when we're going to reach the limit, both technological and... what's the word I'm looking for... I guess "satisfaction".

I take it the readings mean 90 degrees true, give or take 10 degrees, with range being 4 meters in front of the boat and the sensor 2.7 meters deep.
May 30th, 2014 at 12:12:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I remember 4 tracks, they never caught on. I had a
self installed 8 track under the dash, everybody
had them. Listening to your own music was a new
luxury.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2014 at 8:20:06 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Satisfaction is not attainable ever according to buddhists. You always want more or find a reason to be unhappy. For normal people anyways.
May 30th, 2014 at 8:28:41 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Nareed
The next step is to improve human vision. We can see very well, and perceive lots of colors, but we could stand to acquire some more better definition and one more color receptors. Indeed some poeple are tetrachromatic already (must people are trichromatic).

Seriously, the next improvement will be true 3-dimensional TV, holographic and shot with a wider angle of view (not 360, but perhaps 270).

Of course the quality of the programming can always be improved.
The transhumanist idea really does sound cool getting these new abilities. How cool to have the surrounding vision like a fly, but I'm guessing it would also be prone to become paranoia like all those flies. You can walk around all day with your fly open not being bothered, but once you knew, it becomes shame if you know and can't fix it. None of this stuff might actually be as good as we think since our species has only thrived with general use trait adaptations. You have to wonder how specialization would harm us to adapt.

There would probably be more money to be made in virtual reality before body modifications.
May 31st, 2014 at 12:54:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Satisfaction is not attainable ever according to buddhists. You always want more or find a reason to be unhappy. For normal people anyways.

What if you have the most expensive real estate purchase in the USA? Wouldn't that make even a buddhist happy?
May 31st, 2014 at 1:56:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
What if you have the most expensive real estate purchase in the USA? Wouldn't that make even a buddhist happy?

I wouldn't be happy, look at that walk from the garage to the pool!
The President is a fink.
May 31st, 2014 at 2:49:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
I wouldn't be happy, look at that walk from the garage to the pool!

There is a story now that the owner combined three lots about 25 years ago. You can see he build a lake If you look you see that there are houses inland on both sides. If the new owner successfully breaks up the lots and sells them he may get back half that money. It could be a real steal.
May 31st, 2014 at 4:47:12 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Pacomartin
Hell no. You either want more or are consumed worrying about losing it. Mo money, mo problems. From what I understand, your plan would just to have a modest existence with food, shelter, and moderation.