Future of Commercial TV

May 25th, 2014 at 6:44:06 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: AZDuffman
I have heard Norman Lear said he did not want "beautiful people" on "All in the Family" and it looks like the rest of his shows went mostly the same way. To me, this is what makes indie films and shows better than so much of what is on TV. As well, do you see Danny DeVito getting a role today? Yet Louie DePalma is one of the best characters of all time.
Can't say it's impossible but he would have to probably wait until his forties to begin his career.
May 25th, 2014 at 7:30:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Can't say it's impossible but he would have to probably wait until his forties to begin his career.

Danny DeVito ? Taxi began almost 36 years ago,
May 25th, 2014 at 8:00:11 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Pacomartin
Danny DeVito ? Taxi began almost 36 years ago,
Yeah he works now on Sunny in Philadelphia very much loved. I took AZ's comment to mean he would have trouble forming a career today with current conditions not warm to short, weird, bald, and average looking.
May 25th, 2014 at 12:39:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Indie films can be fun not only because of unknown actors but also budget limitations force them to be creative with their one and only camera. One director had his bank robber actors come running out of the bank carrying the loot and their guns as they piled into the get away car... with all the passers by being real people not extras.
May 28th, 2014 at 8:12:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Direct TV has been running some "no wires" commercials for DirectTV. Many people are creeped out by the commercial, but it does get your attention.

But on to the technology. The base unit is called a video bridge and it sends the video signal wirelessly up to 80' away to a client.

The client box has dimensions (Width: 6.75" Height: .75" Depth: 3.5") which is small, but not tiny. You still have to plug the client in for power and into the HDMI port in your TV.

Any interest among the forum in this device?
May 28th, 2014 at 8:36:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Any interest among the forum in this device?

Not if it still costs $80 for the 8 channel MAWG package which is all I watch.

FWIW I already have wireless TV with my Roku box.
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2014 at 6:52:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
FWIW I already have wireless TV with my Roku box.

That's true. I think Roku only works for about 40' from the router instead of 80' for DirectTV Video Bridge.

Still, Roku should get their own marionette wife.
May 28th, 2014 at 7:07:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That's true. I think Roku only works for about 40' from the router instead of 80' for DirectTV Video Bridge.

Still, Roku should get their own marionette wife.

The idea of a puppet for a wife has intrigued me.
So many pro's, so few con's..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 28th, 2014 at 7:45:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
The idea of a puppet for a wife has intrigued me.
So many pro's, so few con's..

Quote: Eliana Dockterman @edockterman

Commercials Have Been Super Sexist Lately April 18, 2014

It’s easy enough to objectify women in ads... But putting a woman in skimpy clothes to sell something is so old news. How about just turning them into literal objects? Take the new DirecTV ad that advertises the Wireless Genie Mini device by juxtaposing wireless cable with a wired wife. In the commercial, the man’s wife is actually a marionette — because everybody knows that men just want their wives to be puppets. The puppet wife even dons a sexy negligee while trying to woo her husband because she know he thinks her wires are unattractive.

Our suggestion to the wired wife? Cut and run.

Personally, I think these 7"-10" tablet TV's are too small. They seem to be designed so that you can put them in a purse and take them outside.

I don't see anything wrong with a 19" mobile tv (under 6 pounds) that was wireless. It could come with a stand that fits on your legs. That wouldn't be so tiny that you can barely see the screen. You would probably require the option to plug it in as battery would have to be pretty big to last more than 2 hours.
May 28th, 2014 at 9:01:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
because everybody knows that men just want their wives to be puppets.>>

Well, yeah. They never talk back, they never want
anything, they never complain. Between the wanting
and the complaining, what do wives really talk about.
That's all they think about, what they want and what's
wrong with you.

A puppet wife is a Stepford wife. I thought that was a
great movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.