Internet screwing

Page 1 of 212>
August 4th, 2018 at 8:59:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
AT&T still chargers Asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL_ customers $60 a month for access to a service that varies between 6Mbps and 10Mbps down, the report notes. ADSL can be delivered over plain old telephone copper wires that have existed largely since before WWII. Verizon charges its ADSL customers $63 or $64 a month.

AT&T’s cable offering costs $60 per month for speeds upwards of 50Mbps. Verizon's 100Mbps fiber service is $65 a month.

Netflix recommends 5.0 Megabits per second for HD quality, but 25 Megabits per second for Ultra HD quality.

The problem is largely one of the 4 people who live in urban areas for every 1 person who lives in a rural area. AT&T and Verizon have no incentive to upgage from ADSL because they are already charging the same amount of money. In urban areas they have to upgrade or they will lose all their business to competitors.

Do we need a Tennessee Valley Authority for ISPs.
August 5th, 2018 at 4:44:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

Do we need a Tennessee Valley Authority for ISPs.

It has been discussed. We had phone taxes to wire schools, I remember in the 1990s when wireless providers wanted to line-item it and the Clinton WH tried to stop them so people did not "see" the taxes on their wireless bill.

The numbers are hard. I take daily walks about town and look at how many houses we have here and wonder if it would be possible to compete with Comcast. Numbers wise it is tough. For rural areas I think some kind of wireless repeaters are the answer.
The President is a fink.
August 5th, 2018 at 4:52:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/21/17598418/facebook-athena-internet-satellite-project-fcc
Both Facebook and Google have shut down their drone project in favor of satellites.

You would think that compared to water, electricity, highways, and even phone lines given the technology of the day, high speed internet would be relatively easy.

It's amazing how difficult infrastructure projects are post WWII compared to pre WWII.
August 5th, 2018 at 5:43:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman

It's amazing how difficult infrastructure projects are post WWII compared to pre WWII.

Couple of my favorites:

It took twice as long to build the Hoover Dam bypass bridge than to build the damn dam!

We could have fought WWII *THREE TIMES* in the time it took to rebuild the WTC site.

But it is not just post WWII. We went from next to nothing in the space race to the moon in just over 8 years. Last Space Shuttle launch was 7 years ago and we are still paying the Russians to send stuff to the space station.

The USA simply cannot get things done anymore.
The President is a fink.
August 5th, 2018 at 2:33:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
The USA simply cannot get things done anymore.

Is it the same problem in Europe as well?

On 14 November 1994 the Channel Tunnel opened for passenger service. The LGV Nord, a French 207 mile-long high-speed rail line, opened in 1993, after 9 years of construction, that connects Paris to the Belgian border and the Channel Tunnel via Lille. The link from Lille to the Channel Tunnel is roughly 60 miles.The 67 mile high-speed railway between London and Channel Tunnel took another 13 years to build at a cost of £11 billion or £80 million per mile.

It does seem that the French moved much faster on this critical infrastructure project.

From the outside it looks like the Chinese infrastructure projects get done very quickly, but I thought that personal property rights were much easier to overturn in China.
August 5th, 2018 at 3:02:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
From the outside it looks like the Chinese infrastructure projects get done very quickly,.

Shoddy materials and workmanship
always get done faster. The old
USSR could throw up an apartment
complex in 6 weeks. 10 years later
it was falling apart, literally. The
plumbing leaks, the wiring was
bad, ceiling plaster falling down,
outside facade crumbling.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 6th, 2018 at 11:55:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
It took twice as long to build the Hoover Dam bypass bridge than to build the damn dam!

I think even the new visitor center took longer to build, going way over budget, than the dam.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 6th, 2018 at 4:15:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Getting back to internet, has anyone else been frustrated recently?

I've been paying attention to the Net Neutrality hoopla, and I can say with no sort of "look for it and you'll find it" lingering nonsense that my service has absolutely tanked within the last 6 weeks. I'm sure you can find old quotes of mine complaining that I only get 3 of the 30mbps I pay for, but as I can have three Xboxes online while streaming Netflix without hiccups, I'm not too concerned. Well, now NFlix hiccups every 10 minutes, games are getting kicked, stuff that is certainly real and not my imagination. Is it just me experiencing this?

I ask partly because, and I dunno if you heard, but NYS is kicked the whole of Spectrum tf out of the state. Don't really know the details or how in the hell they're gonna replace the only freaking carrier many of us have, but I thought perhaps the poor service is the result of faults that aren't being cleared because they've no reason to care anymore.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 6th, 2018 at 4:18:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Getting back to internet, has anyone else been frustrated recently?

I've been paying attention to the Net Neutrality hoopla, and I can say with no sort of "look for it and you'll find it" lingering nonsense that my service has absolutely tanked within the last 6 weeks. I'm sure you can find old quotes of mine complaining that I only get 3 of the 30mbps I pay for, but as I can have three Xboxes online while streaming Netflix without hiccups, I'm not too concerned. Well, now NFlix hiccups every 10 minutes, games are getting kicked, stuff that is certainly real and not my imagination. Is it just me experiencing this?

I ask partly because, and I dunno if you heard, but NYS is kicked the whole of Spectrum tf out of the state. Don't really know the details or how in the hell they're gonna replace the only freaking carrier many of us have, but I thought perhaps the poor service is the result of faults that aren't being cleared because they've no reason to care anymore.

Have not noticed any decline or change at all. Remember, NN was only around a short time. Now, NYS has been gumming the simple up forever.
The President is a fink.
August 6th, 2018 at 6:19:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
Getting back to internet, has anyone else been frustrated recently? I ask partly because, and I dunno if you heard, but NYS is kicked the whole of Spectrum tf out of the state. Don't really know the details or how in the hell they're gonna replace the only freaking carrier many of us have, but I thought perhaps the poor service is the result of faults that aren't being cleared because they've no reason to care anymore.

I saw an article recently.
I don't know what you pay for cellular + internet + TV, but this new AT&T deal for $70 a month minimum which includes 33 channels might be a decent deal. You can get more channels for more money .The idea is to completely disconnect your cable at home (for television, telephone and internet) and just use the phone.

You would have to pay $80 a month to include 15 GB of hotspot data to power your laptop.

You need an MHL HDMI connection to expand your phone contents to a bigger TV at home.

Quote: BOB JOSEPH June 14, 2018
NYS HITS SPECTRUM CABLE WITH $2 MILLION FINE
Regulators in Albany have ordered the owners of Spectrum Cable to pay millions of dollars in penalties for not expanding its system in New York.

The state Public Service Commission Thursday fined Spectrum owner Charter Communications $2 million for not meeting its obligations to offer more services on schedule.

Commission chairman John Rhodes said an investigation determined the company did not expand the reach of its Spectrum network as required.

Spectrum provides high-speed broadband, cable television and telephone services to millions of homes and business across the state.

The New York agency gave conditional approval of Charter's acquisition of Time Warner Cable two years ago.

Rhodes said the state is now demanding "the company unconditionally accept all of the conditions" or face "more severe consequences."

The commission said if Charter doesn't act appropriately, it faces the "risk of having the merger revoked."

The fine is not related to the four-month absence of TV channels on Spectrum cable systems in Binghamton and Syracuse because of a contractual dispute between Charter and Northwest Broadcasting.

The channels returned to Spectrum last week after the companies reached a new agreement.

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com
Page 1 of 212>