Cave! Underwater! Trapped!

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
July 6th, 2018 at 2:24:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
I don't mean to sound heartless, but I was enjoying the coverage of the volcanic eruption in Hawaii until this story.
Yeah . When I first saw the google news item I did not realize that it was a Thai soccer team that was trapped in a Thai cave. Now these religious types and One Worlders don't seem to care, but the old "a dogfight in Brooklyn is more important than a civil war in China" surely applies.

Thai soccer team? They went exploring a cave system, many could not swim. What do they need. A long rope? A tv camera? send out those that can swim one at a time, see if they make it out. whats the big deal here? there are no weather forecasts before they went in? No mapping software? No underwater UAVs?

Why are reporters not doing any backgrounder stories exposing That political corruption, Thai tourist traps, Thai food and beverage poisonings of tourists, Thai street crime, Thai drug laws, etc.
July 6th, 2018 at 6:29:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Oxygen levels have dropped to 15%.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 6th, 2018 at 7:29:01 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Oxygen levels have dropped to 15%.

Unless they can pump some O2 in, that will be the rate limiting factor for how long they can stay there. Young healthy kids can survive for a long time if sedentary in a 15% O2 environment. But the fact that it has dropped from 21% to 15% in the few weeks does not bode well for the next few weeks. It seems like they should make the attempt on either the strongest kid or best swimmer or calmest..... with SCUBA and two expert helpers..... and hope for the best. Assuming a success, they can keep going down the list.
July 6th, 2018 at 8:08:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
Unless they can pump some O2 in, that will be the rate limiting factor for how long they can stay there. Young healthy kids can survive for a long time if sedentary in a 15% O2 environment. But the fact that it has dropped from 21% to 15% in the few weeks does not bode well for the next few weeks. It seems like they should make the attempt on either the strongest kid or best swimmer or calmest..... with SCUBA and two expert helpers..... and hope for the best. Assuming a success, they can keep going down the list.

Well 15% is about 8000' of altitude. Plenty of people live at 8000' for year round. But yes, if it drops to 12% it could be a problem.
July 6th, 2018 at 10:59:28 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Well 15% is about 8000' of altitude. Plenty of people live at 8000' for year round. But yes, if it drops to 12% it could be a problem.

Here is a chart of oxygen content by altitude: https://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html.

I've been at 17,000 feet, which has 11%. Granted, I had acclimated but these kids should be acclimating too as the oxygen is going down gradually.

With that rescuer who died, it brings up a delicate question of how far to risk lives to save lives. It is worth weighing into the equation that the group ignored signage about the danger of entering the cave in rainy season.

Trivia time! What city in the US is at the highest altitude? No searching and please put answers in spoiler tags.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2018 at 11:07:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Assuming the cave is filling with carbon dioxide, and any other body gases, it wouldn't be the same as high altitude would it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 6th, 2018 at 11:26:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Assuming the cave is filling with carbon dioxide, and any other body gases, it wouldn't be the same as high altitude would it?

Who's paying for all this rescue work.
It will be millions if it goes to Oct.
Who gets stuck with the bill.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2018 at 11:40:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Trivia time! What city in the US is at the highest altitude? No searching and please put answers in spoiler tags.

Denver with mile high stadium.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2018 at 12:12:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
Denver with mile high stadium.

Wrong!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2018 at 1:54:47 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

I'm going to guess
Sante Fe

I know it's over 7000 ft
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »