4 votes (40%)
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

June 1st, 2018 at 8:09:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
When we moved to where we live now five years ago, a small town, we went through a phase where we couldn't find pizza or buffalo wings that suited us. Both are pretty important to us for those days when neither feels like cooking or fixing the drinks. It is essential to find both of these things of suitable quality or it's time to move!

We finally settled on a bar in town that makes acceptable Buffalo wings, but even they really don't get the sauce exactly right [and I think they tweaked it recently to make it worse]. Seems like the best chances to get them really right get better as you get closer to the source, like so many things. I had some really good ones near Pittsburgh a while back. As you move further away from the knowledge of authenticity, it seems so does the inclination to fool the customer I think. So, we didn't strike out but not hitting a home run either on the wings.

But pizza! Now there is a subject for endless disagreement; it seems as though taste really legitimately varies as to 'the kind of pizza I like' even though some argue that what they like is the only kind there should be. I'll let others argue about that, I am just going to say we spent five years going to the wrong places, wanting delivery as an option, but have finally smacked it out of the park on this one. A local place with an Italian immigrant connection turns out to be the spot. The folks working when I have come in [no delivery] are young people who I have to think are the family of the owner. How we could have overlooked this place I do not know, but then again it is the typical 'local' model, in addition to family working there they depend on reputation and word of mouth instead of advertising. The town is large enough for competing chains and the bottom line is just "the chains are not as good"

You can vote in the poll for more than one.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 1st, 2018 at 8:18:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I recommend Mellow Mushroom for Pizza. Its a growing franchise
They opened a location right up the street from me
The 1st pizza I ordered was 20 bucks
I thought that was expensive
Till I picked up the box
It was heavy
They use chunky toppings. I like that
Most pizza places use paper thin peperoni. Not Mello Mushroom

I can make my own wings.
Easy to make good buffalo wings
Not easy to make a good home cooked pizza
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2018 at 8:39:42 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Wings are pretty easy.

Get them naked from a deli or raw.

If Raw, either pan-fry, deep-fry, or rub with butter and bake in a hot oven for about 45 minutes, turning once. 375° works, usee cookie sheet with single layer. Need crispy skin, but too hot and the knuckles will be raw.

Buy Frank's hot sauce. Add to your hotness liking.

Put Lighthouse chunky blue cheese (refrigerator section of produce, along with Marie's and such). If you prefer (yuck) use good-quality ranch for dipping.

Add raw carrot and celery sticks as you like.

It will cost you about .20/wing to do this rather than .60-$1+/wing, and they're great . No breading makes it a perfect low-carb meal.

Frank's is the bomb. Should be in with BBQ sauces, condiments, etc.

These will rival Hooter's, wing station, etc best buffalos.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 1st, 2018 at 8:53:23 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
The last item in the poll. "We need a thread for BBQ".
We should stick to less controversial topics like abortion and religion.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 1st, 2018 at 9:31:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Pizza depends on my mood. I got a nice, local Italian place I can walk to. They have a couple different kinds. Nice to pretend being a gangster walking "the neighborhood" to such a place. Sometimes they even have entertainment. For coal fired, I got a place near but a drive. Dan Marino has a piece of it. Great, but last time the quality was down a touch. Now I may hit it for late lunch typing this.

Wings are harder. I have another place in the neighborhood. Kind with 100+ varieties. Dry or wet. It could make it in WNY. Speaking of WNY, wings were touchy there. One place so many people liked, I thought was nothing special. Some places they are too large, some too small. Some take no pride in their sauces. Anchor Bar was the most overrated place I ever had them.

Then I went to Phoenix, and they put in an Anchor Bar knockoff for transplants around the corner from my place. I went 6+ months not eating wings out there at first. Ate there the week I got there, thought it very average. A year later the aforesaid one was put in nearby. It was the same feeling servicemen get when they put in a place from home when they are overseas. Like the famous pizza place a guy opened in Japan, which became one of the best mafia stories of all time.
The President is a fink.
June 1st, 2018 at 10:24:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: beachbumbabs
Wings are pretty easy.

we cook em ourselves at home often enough, and they are always delicious, but for some reason the wife doesn't like to do them at home with the Buffalo sauce. I prevail when we go out, gotta have the B. sauce way once in a while. I don't know if you are trying to say it is just hot sauce - Frank's or otherwise, that is not correct.
June 1st, 2018 at 11:01:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Never understood chicken wings. They
have less meat and cost more than
and other part of the chicken. And they
taste no different. I've never understood
why they became popular. I can make
thighs taste exactly the same for half
the price.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2018 at 11:23:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: JimRockford
The last item in the poll. "We need a thread for BBQ".
We should stick to less controversial topics like abortion and religion.

BBQ is not controversial, you are all just wrong and I am right when it comes to BBQ. I will be in Memphis again next week and look forward to their style of BBQ.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 1st, 2018 at 11:25:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Evenbob
Never understood chicken wings. They
have less meat and cost more than
and other part of the chicken. And they
taste no different. I've never understood
why they became popular. I can make
thighs taste exactly the same for half
the price.

maybe you don't like white meat? thighs are dark meat

when I was a teenager around 1970 or so, I worked at KFC - this was in the South. You had White people then who would really get angry if you included a chicken wing as part of their "white meat" 2 piece thing. It seemed to be a case of insult. There was still a lingering thing of the parts of the chicken that were to be reserved for one class of people and the other parts reserved for another. This went back to slavery times I have to think. So about that time Af/Ams knew it and it was like it was a secret, chicken wings are good eating, silly notions be damned.

In the meantime everybody else has caught on, except Bob. It's why I included that bit in the poll.
June 1st, 2018 at 11:29:26 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The perfect chicken wing must be deep fried, sauced, then thrown on a grill to char it and dry the sauce out a little bit. If your chicken wings don't have char marks you are doing it wrong.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »