to show fake empathy.

Was this before or after he said, "I feel your pain."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 20th, 2018 at 8:25:23 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Was this before or after he said, "I feel your pain."

Wasn't that what Bush said to the poor black folk during the Katrina debacle? lol
May 21st, 2018 at 2:22:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: zippyboy
Wasn't that what Bush said to the poor black folk during the Katrina debacle? lol
Best thing that ever happened to help the feds in the Katrina Debacle was the attempt by the Mayor to declare New Orleans a "Chocolate City" wherein all loans had to go to blacks and all businesses had to be at least fifty one percent owned by blacks. Once that happened, no one much cared about anyone who suffered in Katrina's aftermath.
May 21st, 2018 at 9:54:04 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
My argument is that the bible objectifies and exploits women, as shown in the Lot story, and I could name others. We have to rely on our own human decency not to, as opposed to a book.
Lot was pouring coals upon the sodomites heads by giving them the option of sex with females which they refused. Lot knew he wouldn't have to sacrifice his daughters the whole time. As far as Abraham is concerned he also knew God would provide a suitable substitute for Isaac. He even told his son that very thing when asked about it on the way up the mountain to the altar.
May 21st, 2018 at 10:32:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Jesus fulfilled all of what the Jewish Scriptures said about the Messiah.

Not according to the Jews. And they
are the ones that count. Xtionity
borrowed some other religions
Messiah and stole him for their
own. Ask any Rabbi, don't ask the
crooks, the Vatican.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2018 at 11:03:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: pew
Lot was pouring coals upon the sodomites heads by giving them the option of sex with females which they refused. Lot knew he wouldn't have to sacrifice his daughters the whole time. As far as Abraham is concerned he also knew God would provide a suitable substitute for Isaac.

I do not share either interpretation. Time and time again we see in the bible that god has no respect for human life.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 21st, 2018 at 11:11:28 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I do not share either interpretation. Time and time again we see in the bible that god has no respect for human life.

God throughout the Bible teaches us that sin leads to the destruction of human life, a lesson we still need to learn.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 21st, 2018 at 11:12:33 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Not according to the Jews. And they
are the ones that count. Xtionity
borrowed some other religions
Messiah and stole him for their
own. Ask any Rabbi, don't ask the
crooks, the Vatican.

Why don't we ask the Bible and look at the prophecies of the OT fulfilled in the NT by Jesus?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 21st, 2018 at 11:44:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
All this stuff about the Bible reminds me of the old tee shirt legend "I told myself to stop drinking but I'm not going to listen to some drunk who talks to himself".
So if someone was a sodomite and even had a town named that and someone else offered up his daughter's virginity to a mob.... you sort of get the idea that I should not be listening to these people just because they talk about begetting all the time and go around talking about non existent pillars of salt transformations.

Its sort of like believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. Eventually you grow out of that sort of stuff, except for those who go around muttering in Latin and sending money to Rome.

Paint Your Wagon was on Cable again and I liked it when the Mormon decided to sell one of his wives at auction but suggested going outside where there could be more bidders. Ray Walton chimed in : These Religious Types are Really Greedy. I'll stick with Lee Marvin's line: There is enough room in Hell for all of us. At least, as Lee Marvin put it. He ain't never gulled a partner.

The Religious types gull everyone.
They call it being ecumenical or something.

Now don't get me wrong. I got nothing against Pope. He is an interesting character on Animal Kingdom.
May 21st, 2018 at 12:10:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
Why don't we ask the Bible and look at the prophecies of the OT fulfilled in the NT by Jesus?

You mean the stories about Jesus written decades after his death showing how he fulfilled the prophecies?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan