Father following a track log from a plane

Page 3 of 3<123
May 22nd, 2018 at 5:07:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: beachbumbabs
Beavers are only rarely flown above 14,500 in my experience. Wiki says service ceiling is 18,000 but I'm not sure they're even pressurized. I think the difference is pressurization cycles, because the aircraft material physically expands and contracts under pressurization. There's also a thermal change that doesn't happen at lower altitudes, but cumulative climbing and staying above 15k ft and back down can exacerbate the pressurization effect.

Many beavers are also primarily canvas stiffened with epoxy, though I think dehavilland more recently manus them using a composite or metal. I don't think it's possible to pressurize canvas, at least the type they used to build aircraft in the 40s-70s.

If a person is flying in seawater like you're talking about, say in BC or Alaskan waters, they generally rinse daily in freshwater. Lake landings should not affect them. It's just part of the checklist to get the salt off.

I would be very comfortable flying in any beaver/otter/twin otter/albatross I've ever seen that was properly maintained. They've held up very well for decades. Great line of aircraft.

I got my pilot license in a 1962 C150 (primarily ) that's still flying. I corresponded with the owner a few months ago, and it's still plugging along.

I guess I should add, to fully address your question, my concern is primarily metal jets, which is a large majority of commercial passenger aircraft. I think they have not yet fully understood the molecular affect of decades of service cycles.

I have flown probably a couple of dozen times in a Beaver. Don't think I have never been above 10,000' and none of them were pressurized. A lot of the flying was quite close to the water when the visibllity was poor often only a few hundred feet. Lots of thermal change though even at a low altitude with -30 C or colder temperatures in the winter. Most of the flying I did was on BC's west coast flying into remote communities. I was first on or last off for the day many times and never saw one washed off and they spent the night at the wharf in the ocean on their floats.

The expansion due to pressurization makes sense as a cause for any failures of the skin of the cigar tubes.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 22nd, 2018 at 7:30:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Beavers are not pressurized but might have a supplementary oxygen supply installed if extended flight at higher altitudes was contemplated for some reason such as a freight flight where they knew they had to clear high terrain. It would indeed be rare for anyone to fly a Beaver at or even near that service ceiling of 18,0000 feet much less to do it for an extended period of time.

Bush pilots often stay fairly close to the ground for better visibility purposes. I'm told that landing anywhere is better than climbing and having the weather close in around you. Navaids may be more rare in Canada and Radar Coverage as well as radio reception is less certain in Canada. In the USA one might get on the air and bleat like a lamb as radars and radios helped you but in Canada you might not be heard and probably would not be on anyone's radar screen. VFR On Top is generally legal in the USA because it is generally safe; but it is generally illegal in Canada because it is generally unsafe there. When VFR On Top the clouds and perhaps terrain are likely to rise and the gas gauge and night are sure to fall.
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:00:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Yes it was always VFR and seldom were we close enough to an airport with radar to get any help that way. We got pushed so low over water one time that we were virtually dodging the fishing boat masts. I was only on a plane once that got totally socked in. It wasn't a Beaver but a Normandy Islander (9 passenger) scheduled flight coming home from Bella Coola. I was the only passenger and was sitting up front beside the pilot. Flight services got us on radar and talked the pilot in for the last 60 miles.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 3 of 3<123