Mexico Mission Trip

Page 3 of 3<123
March 27th, 2018 at 11:55:24 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Bob, it wasn't so much as telling me it was the fact that it never came up. The people were happy, content, they loved their home, their families, and being Mexican. That is expressed in something bigger than words.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 27th, 2018 at 12:07:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Bob, it wasn't so much as telling me it was the fact that it never came up.

You said:

"One of the stereotypes that I found untrue was that everyone wanted to go to the USA."

How they heck could you surmise that
without asking. And the implication is
certainly there that you had long
conversations about it. Now you say
it never came up??

Like always, dealing with you on any
subject is a slippery slope, you change
so much of what you say and mean
along the way.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2018 at 1:54:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
They do not have priests for the Sunday Mass usually in the ranchos. Maybe once or twice a year in some places a priest will get there. A lay person will do a communion service in most cases. A deacon is an ordained minister but he cannot celebrate Mass.

"Ranchos" is the countryside I assume? I find it interesting that they operate this way. Mexico has to be one of the most Catholic nations on earth. I was at a Mass a few years back where a Deacon celebrated probably half of it. IIRC he even read the Gospel and did the Homily. I remember for sure he did the later as he said, "for those of you not from this Parish (Baptism after so lots of guests) don't worry if I mention my wife." I could see a Deacon having a "service" and just strip out the parts you need a full Priest for, go with the thought that everyone is doing their best. Is that kind of how it works?

Quote:
I really don't know about the strictness; the good statsPaco posted are usually not taken from the rural areas I was in so maybe your 50s Italian family analogy is right.

Strictness is just subjective. An example would be when I was in Marietta, OH, on business. Few of us there and you kind of felt it was just more religious than where we came from. I explained to the youngers there that they had to realize they were now more south than north, even if it was a borderland of sorts. Fringe of the Bible Belt. Sounds like you think it was more strict/serious.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2018 at 2:40:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, if you see nice families who are happy and enjoy talking about their culture and their food and their faith what would you surmise? If they were unhappy with where they were and wanted to leave don't you think I could have figured that out?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 27th, 2018 at 2:59:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Bob, if you see nice families who are happy and enjoy talking about their culture

FrG, if you see 7 million illegal Mexicans
in this country, with more clamoring to
cross the border every day, what would
you surmise? I mean, really, this isn't
brain surgeon stuff..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2018 at 4:16:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
I would surmise that you are looking at every Hispanic person as a Mexican and you are forgetting that those 7 million did not come to the US overnight but over many, many years. I also think that for some reason you think that I believe everyone in Mexico is perfectly happy and no one wants to get to the States. That would be an incorrect assumption on your part. I know that there are many who live in other parts of Mexico than where I visited who would be insane not to want to leave their plight. Don't go making this molehill into a beautiful Mexican mountain.
March 27th, 2018 at 4:21:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
I would surmise that you are looking at every Hispanic person as a Mexican and you are forgetting that those 7 million did not come to the US overnight but over many, many years. .

With more clamboring over the border
and getting deported every day. You
haven't a leg to stand on with your
'overjoyed to stay in Mexico' theory..
Page 3 of 3<123