March for our lives

March 26th, 2018 at 9:03:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
As to your patronizing, insulting comment above, .

And mostly true comment. It's not the people
who stage a protest or write letters to the
editor that change things. It's time and the
majority of public opinion. And the vast
majority of public opinion about guns is,
they're just fine in the hands of private
citizens, all 300 million of them.

"Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has"

Really, it's the only thing that ever has?
Really? Are you sure that's the story you
want to stick with?

In actuality, voting by large numbers of people
has changed things more than anything else.

This might be my new sig line:

"It's better to learn when your young that
what you say and do has little real impact
on anything." Scott Adams
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2018 at 9:28:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
This is your strawman, suggesting that the argument is that guns kill people on their own.
You said,
Quote: Dalex64
You keep putting forth this strawman.
I would like to emphasize that you used the words, "you keep" indicating that I have used that cliche in arguments before. I wouldn't use that tired cliche as an argument, it has been used so many times, it [is] a cliche. I didn't use it as a part of my opinion, but used it because everyone has heard it enough, to recognize that argument.

You took me out of context in a running discussion with Rx, where I was tossing the ball back to her.

This started when I came here this morning replying to Rx's reply to Rand Paul. Quote: petroglyph
"As Rand Paul said, notice how all these liberals were quick to blame the terrorist for the Austin bombings rather than the bombs! A bit of a double standard don't you think?"

" Rx; So, Rand Paul somehow concludes we wouldn't be for tight controls on explosives? That's some messed up conclusion."

Is that how you understand Rand's quote as well? I thought understanding what he meant was simple. Rand isn't advocating loose controls on explosives. I wasn't using that argument, I was pointing to that argument.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 27th, 2018 at 12:14:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
As long as you're bringing me into it.

Quote:
"As Rand Paul said, notice how all these liberals were quick to blame the terrorist for the Austin bombings rather than the bombs! A bit of a double standard don't you think?"

I stand by my response. Rand Paul is implying a double standard and I pointed out there isn't one. If congress had something reasonable to ban as far as bomb making the Dems would ban it. Furthermore, we already have gone a lot farther on restricting the use of bombs than we have on guns.

Next I will hear that Rand Paul says liberals didn't call for the ban on gasoline because someone threw a Molotoff cocktail.

Now if you want to review why I wouldn't bother to say let's ban gasoline, I'm not going to help, because it's been done along with idea of banning common knives and vehicles. It's a mult-use argument which doesn't apply to guns. Guns have a much more singular purpose compared to these other things.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2018 at 2:32:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

But all this bs about bombs and whatnot being equivalent is just more dazed and confused deflection. The problem is guns. Illiterate morons and psychopaths off their meds can buy a gun or rifle in 15 minutes, no license, no background check. So can felons, domestic terrorists, and angry spouses.

How is the problem "guns" if it is really the "illiterate morons, et al" who are causing the problem? You still want to take away MY rights because of a small minority? Where I laugh is when we mention islam is a problem then liberals run to defend the religion and say "the problem is just a small minority."

I get it, you hate guns and want them banned. Please just say it.

Quote:
How much more proof do any of you responsible gun owners need that, unless YOU work with the people for sensible regulation, protecting YOUR right to bear arms, you WILL eventually get your hot steel pried from your cold, dead hands?

We have sensible regulations. Don't keep asking me to build my own gallows.

The latest school shooting had all that was asked for. Gun-free school zone. See something, people said something. It all slipped thru. Go fix the laws we already have. More kids die from texting and driving by far than gun violence. LETS RAISE THE AGE FOR A CELL PHONE TO 21!
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2018 at 2:45:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
No, it's old white dudes who have been
there and done that and know words
are cheap and usually ineffective. It's
people with limited experience
in the real world that hold what
a bunch of teenage kids say in such high
regard.

One of the great things about being a MAWG is what you know because of what you have seen. I see a bunch of kids being used by anti-gun special interests. The kids have had their heads filled with this "just one person can change things" silliness. Soon most will be in college, where they can get even more of the same. The one at and leading the rallies will pursue useless degrees, that kind always do. 10 years from now you might run into one in line at Starbucks. You will have a short and friendly conversation. Then they will hand you your latte.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2018 at 4:51:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What's interesting is conservatives are the majority in this thread
Conservatives cant stop talking about the March
This thread is 9 pages long because of conservatives
What was it about this March that compels conservatives to comment over and over on the March
What a success this March has become due to conservatives cant stop talking about the March
Keep it up conservatives
9 pages, thanks
Here are the numbers for this thread
For the March 33 posts in this thread
Against the March 51 posts in this thread
Fascinating.
Carry on conservatives :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2018 at 5:07:35 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: petroglyph
I would like to emphasize that you used the words, "you keep" indicating that I have used that cliche in arguments before. I wouldn't use that tired cliche as an argument, it has been used so many times, it [is] a cliche. I didn't use it as a part of my opinion, but used it because everyone has heard it enough, to recognize that argument.

Then I stand corrected, you have not used that argument before.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2018 at 5:39:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
As to your patronizing, insulting comment above, you'll probably be dead before it's done, because it's not an easy fix, but I'll think of you rolling in your grave when it is.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2018 at 6:32:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Look at that. You made me change my signature line, after all these years.

As to your patronizing, insulting comment above, you'll probably be dead before it's done, because it's not an easy fix, but I'll think of you rolling in your grave when it is.

Years from now
Students will study and watch the speeches from March for our Lives
just as
Students today study the civil rights movement and listen to Martin Luther King's speech
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2018 at 7:14:59 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
That's the point a lot of people are
making. When has it ever made a
difference what a bunch of idealistic
kids thought about anything. Since
never.

We did this crap in HS 50 years ago,
and thought we were going to change
the world. We could barely change