Prometheus Spoiler

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
October 25th, 2012 at 9:58:49 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
(Edit: This note is in reference to the two disc Blu-Ray+DVD combo. I just learned there is also a four disc combo that includes the Blu Ray 3-D version, and a whole disc of expanded Blu Ray extras.)

So I picked up the Prometheus Blu Ray, and it has some alternate/deleted scenes. If you enjoyed "Aliens" but have not seen this movie yet, I do recommend it.

There was some discussion on WoV board when the film came out in the theatres regarding the opening scene. The "Extras" on the Blu Ray shed some light on the original concept:

The original setting for the opening scene was ancient Earth. In fact, the original opening scene had dialogue amongst a group of, "Engineers" as they performed a ceremony at the top of the waterfall to "implant" their DNA via the "black slime".

Since the original scene was not used, it is unclear if it was still intended to be Earth in the film as it was released.

Other alternate/deleted scenes include alot of dialogue that specifically clarifies what the "Engineers" were doing in the "Pyramid", so I recommend the Blu Ray if you are a fan of the film curious about the backstory.
October 25th, 2012 at 12:03:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I hope all the extra scenes are on the DVD also. It is in my Netflix queue.

As I wrote before, I thought Prometheus was outstanding, perhaps my favorite movie of 2012.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 25th, 2012 at 12:39:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard

As I wrote before, I thought Prometheus was outstanding, perhaps my favorite movie of 2012.

I purchased the Blu Ray / DVD combo, and all the extras were on the Blu Ray. I don't know if the DVD-only package had the same content.
October 25th, 2012 at 1:45:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Other alternate/deleted scenes include alot of dialogue that specifically clarifies what the "Engineers" were doing in the "Pyramid", so I recommend the Blu Ray if you are a fan of the film curious about the backstory.

I think most people know that Ridley Scott was forced to add the voice narrative and the final scene to Blade Runner. He prefers ambiguity even though most movie goers hate ambiguity.

If you look at most deleted scenes of a particular movie they are removed because they don't advance the story enough and the moviemaker want to cut length. The deleted scenes often leave peculiarities in the movie. I saw one actress complain about a scene where she drops some snowballs. Since the preceding scenes of a snowball fight were deleted, her behavior was simply puzzling to the viewer.

I could imagine either Ridley Scott deleting scenes that were too expository from his final cut for the sake of art, or he did it deliberately to help DVD sales. He must have gotten so tired of being asked if Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) was a replicant, that he knew that the prospect of getting some answers would drive the fanboys to purchase the DVD.
October 25th, 2012 at 2:05:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
What's interesting is that the movie, "as released" is a very different animal without the deleted/alternate content. After reviewing the extras, there are some that I think would have made the movie better, and others that were good cuts. The ones that I thought should have been left in were of the "story clarification" type. They were dialogues describing why things are the way they are, and to set up events that were yet to unfold. Watching them out of context, I could understand why Scott cut them (they seem to be droning explanations). However, I think the information they contained was important to understand why certain characters behaved as they did, and that information was not communicated anywhere else in the finished film; leading to confusion.
November 21st, 2012 at 10:40:08 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
If anyone's interested in the four-disc blu-ray set, it's on sale at Amazon today for $14 and change. I'm sure it will also be a "doorbuster" on Black Friday, but why risk getting trampled and pepper sprayed?
August 16th, 2015 at 3:34:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin

No xenomorphs in Prometheus 2! No xenomorphs? That is a shocker. It is a little intriguing.

May 13th, 2016 at 8:31:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Director Ridley Scott revealed last fall that Prometheus 2 will actually be called Alien: Paradise Lost. Now it seems to have changed names again to "Alien:Covenant"

Release Date: August -Oct, 2017

Katherine Waterston has replaced Noomi Rapace. I am unfamiliar with KW as I didn't see her in the best known shows

2015 Steve Jobs - Chrisann Brennan
2012-2013 Boardwalk Empire (TV Series)-Emma Harrow / Emma Harrow McCready

Rapace will be in the upcoming sci-fi thriller Brilliance with Will Smith;
She will also star in the spy thriller Unlocked, with Michael Douglas, John Malkovich, Orlando Bloom, and Toni Collette;
and will lead the sci-fi/actioner Whatever Happened To Monday? opposite Glenn Close and Willem Dafoe and
the sci-fi/thriller Rupture by Steven Shainberg.

I liked Rapace, but it sounds like she is going to bring us some great entertainment.
April 8th, 2017 at 4:04:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Alien: Covenant will bring back Director and three actors
Directed by Ridley Scott
Noomi Rapace ... Elizabeth Shaw
Michael Fassbender ... David
Guy Pearce ... Peter Weyland

Replacing Charlize Theron and Idris Elba will be:

Katherine Waterston ... Daniels
James Franco ... Branson
Billy Crudup ... Christopher Oram
Carmen Ejogo ... Karine Oram
Danny McBride ... Tennessee
Demián Bichir

April 8th, 2017 at 6:41:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I can't remember looking forward to a movie opening more than this one. However, based on every preview I can find, it isn't a sequel to Prometheus. It does feature David from Prometheus. I big question is whether the movie is before or after in the timeline. I'm going to say before because:

David seems to have inside knowledge of the aliens in Prometheus.
In Prometheus, his head was severed. Of course, he could have been repaired.
At the ending of Prometheus, it was the next step to go to the "home planet."

Another big plus is James Franco in the cast, one of my favorite actors.

I do hope this movie isn't just a scare show but advances the greater story a little and answers some of the many questions in the series, most of which Prometheus brings up.

Anyone want to see it on May 19th with me? Nobody else in my family is into scary movies. It would probably give Mrs. Wizard nightmares for months.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 1 of 61234>Last »