2 votes (40%)
5 votes (100%)

5 members have voted

February 16th, 2018 at 2:17:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: OnceDear
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a850171/titanic-billy-zane-explains-why-jack-died/

I am much more infuriated by that answer than the actual issue of Jack fitting on the piece of wood. For me to enjoy a story and get into it, I have to believe in its plausibility. Scientific, mathematical, and logic errors simply ruin a movie for me.

However, I will add that if a movie is coming off as totally unrealistic, like some of the James Bond movies, then I can turn off the analytical side of my brain and just try to enjoy the story.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 16th, 2018 at 2:17:10 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Wizard
I have heard it's difficult to get a compliment out of the English.
We complain very well.
$:o)
February 16th, 2018 at 2:19:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
We complain very well.

Yet, slow to act sometimes. I still don't get why you put up with striking subway workers every year.
February 16th, 2018 at 2:28:56 PM permalink
OnceDear
Yet, slow to act sometimes. I still don't get why you put up with striking subway workers every year.
Oh, they're Londoners. A small subset of our creed. Striking subway workers mean nothing to me.
Actually, I meant what I said about being good complainers. We keep our powder dry and don't generally complain about small stuff. But when we do complain, you will see solidity and solidarity.
I have a bad meal: I complain: I leave a good tip for a good resolution: No tip for a bad resolution. I never return to that establishment if it treats me badly. No ranting, just vote with my feet. London is a metropolitan 5h1thole. So most Brits just don't go there or live there.
February 16th, 2018 at 2:41:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
London is a metropolitan 5h1thole. So most Brits just don't go there or live there.

I did not know this. I thought the rest of Britain suffered from London envy.
February 16th, 2018 at 2:51:02 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Oh, they're Londoners. A small subset of our creed. Striking subway workers mean nothing to me.
Actually, I meant what I said about being good complainers. We keep our powder dry and don't generally complain about small stuff. But when we do complain, you will see solidity and solidarity.
I have a bad meal: I complain: I leave a good tip for a good resolution: No tip for a bad resolution. I never return to that establishment if it treats me badly. No ranting, just vote with my feet. London is a metropolitan 5h1thole. So most Brits just don't go there or live there.

I love London. Been 3 times at some considerable expense.

Of course I'm not British. Just descended from some.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 16th, 2018 at 3:17:30 PM permalink
OnceDear
I did not know this. I thought the rest of Britain suffered from London envy.
I doubt it. London has generally poor and very expensive housing and a high cost of living. If you were lucky enough to inherit a house there, you'd be rich enough to buy a nice house in any other part of England and almost retire.

e.g.
In London: Terraced properties sold for an average price of £665,874, while semi-detached properties fetched £660,053. (old and understated stats, I think)
In my rather nice provincial town : Semi-detached properties had an average sold price of £184,799 and terraced properties averaged at £156,480

So, in London, there's lots of high rise and subsidised housing.

Greater London, of course extends way out from the City and includes some very nice, but VERY expensive areas indeed.

London is good for an occasional Theatre break. It has lots of cultural attractions and great food and clubs etc, but I usually only went there once a month or so on business. Like any City, it's a bit hostile. A few months back I went for a conference and it was a bit depressing to see how the locals lived. Not threatening, but a bit run down.

I'm from one of the industrial towns of the Midlands, but moved 10 miles out to the countryside, when I married. Unlike your massive nation, we are rarely more than 10 miles away from a field of sheep or cattle or agricultural land. In fact, I understand that no point in England is more than 75 miles from the sea.
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2012/apr/25/british-town-furthest-from-sea
I've got country walkways and cycle tracks (and canals) within a few hundred metres from home. There's a few golf courses within 5 miles and if I want a day out shopping, there's Manchester and Birmingham.
Who need London hustle, bustle, congestion and crime?
February 17th, 2018 at 1:52:44 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
We need new blood. Or one of our early players to rejoin us. Any suggestions as to who we can try and recruit?
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 17th, 2018 at 2:50:39 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I guess I am in btw. Lord knows I've learned to take my lumps and grin and bear it.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 17th, 2018 at 3:39:15 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'm in, unless you think it'll be easier to recruit new blood without me. Not quite sure what the impetus is to get different players. But willing to sit out if that's what you're trying to say.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 2 of 9<12345>Last »