Ash Wednesday

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
February 13th, 2018 at 5:55:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. it is a day of fasting and abstinence from all meat.

For those who participate in Lent, what are you giving up or adding to your life?

I'm giving up tobacco (dip), limiting myself to 30 mins of YouTube, working out every day, and recommitting myself to the Divine Office and some other things during my day.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 13th, 2018 at 7:08:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just a friendly reminder to the men of the forum that tomorrow is that dreaded of all days of the year, Valentine's Day. No good can come of that day. A perfect performance is expected of every man and points are lost for anything that falls short.

I would much prefer to celebrate Ash Wednesday instead. If I did celebrate it, I'd cut out alcohol.

Padre, I didn't take you for a dipping man. If you ever want a little incentive to quit permanently, then let's talk about a friendly wager?

Finally, don't cheat on those 30 minutes. Certainly god has a stopwatch and is keeping track.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 13th, 2018 at 7:56:21 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
Just a friendly reminder to the men of the forum that tomorrow is that dreaded of all days of the year, Valentine's Day. No good can come of that day. A perfect performance is expected of every man and points are lost for anything that falls short.

I would much prefer to celebrate Ash Wednesday instead. If I did celebrate it, I'd cut out alcohol.

Padre, I didn't take you for a dipping man. If you ever want a little incentive to quit permanently, then let's talk about a friendly wager?

Finally, don't cheat on those 30 minutes. Certainly god has a stopwatch and is keeping track.

Took Mrs Mosca on a 3-day weekend to Borgata for V-day, gave her a couple-tree hunnert to drop in the slots and took her to Old Homestead for crab-stuffed lobster. I’m good for tomorrow, I can screw up and come out okay.
February 13th, 2018 at 8:07:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

Yeah, I used to smoke cigars but they were messing and stunk up the place fro other people. When I discovered dip I was able to stay up longer and more focused for work and with little mess. I also heard it was healthier in some regards. I am worried about my Lenten commitment though because I do feel I might be a little more attached than I realize. Just curious about what a friendly wager would look like?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 13th, 2018 at 8:21:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
Just curious about what a friendly wager would look like?

I'm thinking you have to quit all tobacco products, including vaping, for some period of time at least three months. I'd suggest even money with a bet in the $50 to $100 range.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 13th, 2018 at 8:54:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Padre, I didn't take you for a dipping man.

I thought he said he quit a couple years ago,
filthy disgusting habit that it is. Just goes to
show you about priests..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 13th, 2018 at 9:47:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
As usual on Ash Wednesday, I'm having a big
pot of spare ribs made in the pressure cooker
and giving away my true feelings to yet another
superstitious religious holiday. May they all
fall to the wayside where they belong. on the
ash heap of history.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 14th, 2018 at 2:34:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
limiting myself to 30 mins of YouTube

Now, when I was a kid I said I was going to limit myself to Pepsi just once a week but was told you had to give it up all the way or no. But then I was told "Sunday is not Lent" and got a pass for that. Since then I have not been much on the "giving up" though I do still do the no-meat rule.

As to the fasting, what is the rule on that? The abstinence was always pretty clear, no meat of a warm blooded animal, except you could eat eggs. But the fasting I was told in school that adults could eat only one "meal" but it was not a 100% thing. You could have say a piece of toast in the morning to settle your stomach. What is the official rule on the fasting?

Oh, good luck on giving up the dip for Lent. And try to give it up forever after!
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2018 at 6:37:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The logical conclusion of this Lent business, would be for a Christian to give up God, Jesus, and the Ghost for a few months.

I don't suppose any of them have done this. Which indicates they don't really value these deities they worship.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 14th, 2018 at 10:50:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Oh, good luck on giving up the dip for Lent. And try to give it up forever after!

I lost a friend because of that disgusting
habit. He carried a paper cup everywhere
so he could spit in it, and his teeth were
brown from the tobacco. It made me ill
to be around him and I wrote him out
of my life.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »