A vocation in a vocation

Page 15 of 16« First<1213141516>
February 2nd, 2018 at 9:47:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
don't you think emotions are important then? .

Only fleetingly. Emotions are undependable and
unreliable. If I'm an employer the last thing I
want is an emotional employee. Or an emotional
spouse or child. Keeping your emotions in check
and under control are important part of living
in a society.

The god religions rely on appealing to your unstable
emotions. They rely on scaring you with hell and
luring you in with promises of a rosy heaven. Go
to some church services and they work themselves
up into a lather of emotions. Clapping their hands
and swaying around and singing loudly. The god
religions pander to our base emotions. that's how
they snare and reel you in. They can't do it
with logic, god religions are completely illogical.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 2nd, 2018 at 10:12:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Just in case you need any other ideas.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:34:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Only fleetingly. Emotions are undependable and
unreliable.

So just to be clear you don't think emotions are worthless or a big fat nothing, that is good. I think we all understand that emotions can be fickle and dependent on many different variables. However, I think even you know that consistent emotions or happiness or fulfillment or unhappiness or impatience can point to realities that are important to think about. They can be like canaries in a mine shaft or red flags that can let you know something is not right or that things are well.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:35:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Just in case you need any other ideas.

Doesn't this guy know there is a priest shortage? What the heck?!?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:49:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
So just to be clear you don't think emotions are worthless or a big fat nothing.

No, they are mostly worthless. A person
who bases his life on his fickle changing
emotions is the kind of person who is
always unhappy. This is what women do
and that's why they're so unhappy most
of the time. Like Freud said, what does a
woman want. It changes minute to minute
because they're prisoners of their emotions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:20:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
No, they are mostly worthless. A person
who bases his life on his fickle changing
emotions is the kind of person who is
always unhappy. This is what women do
and that's why they're so unhappy most
of the time. Like Freud said, what does a
woman want. It changes minute to minute
because they're prisoners of their emotions.

Oh Bob, I should probably let Babs handle this one.

However, you keep going around and around in regards to the value you place on emotions. That you think they are mostly worthless is a sign that you do recognize that in some cases they are valuable and maybe that is as good as an admission as I can hope for. Like it or not you and all of us are prisoners of our emotions. The only thing worse for us than basing our lives on our emotions is to bury them and ignore them. I hope you don't do that! Because our emotions are fickle and changing we do have in most cases control over them. You don't want to be slave to them, that is true. You also don't want to try the impossible task of ignoring them or thinking they are worthless. It is best to learn how to control them and to learn from them.
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:15:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Padre, have you made any decision on becoming a monk? If not, how is the decision-making process coming along?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:26:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Wizard
Padre, have you made any decision on becoming a monk? If not, how is the decision-making process coming along?

Not too long ago I had the opportunity to take a "desert day". These are days you take totally by yourself away from it all to pray and think and usually fast. This one I actually got to go into a real desert, it was a very important time for me. I won't go into all the details but the witness of these plants growing and thriving in the harsh and difficult environment confirmed in me the call to grow where I am planted, no matter how tough it is. So the long and short of it is that the Lord is calling me to grow in holiness but to do so as diocesan priest where I currently am. No monkhood for me, though its appeal is still very strong.
Did You know that the word decide comes from the Latin to kill. So I have decided to kill the issue of becoming a monk and pour myself in a new way to my priesthood. Thanks for asking.
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:48:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks for the update, Padre. You are always welcome to fight the good fight here in your spare time and hopefully we'll all come out the better for it.

No, I didn't know that about the etymology about the word "decide." I'm sure Paco can elaborate on that.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 2nd, 2018 at 4:14:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
No monkhood for me, though its appeal is still very strong.

The urge to run away from it
all is strong in most of us at
one time or another. It's best
to fight it.
Page 15 of 16« First<1213141516>