No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

January 16th, 2018 at 11:13:14 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Wizard
This is a long story so bear with me. On my way to Aruba I took a red eye on Jet Blue through Fort Lauderdale. The plane was 100% full. The plane was scheduled to land around 6 AM. However, as we're obviously nearing the airport the captain comes on the speaker and says due to fog we can't land in Fort Lauderdale and due to running low on fuel we have to land somewhere so he says he will be making a quick stop in Orlando to refuel and give the fog a chance to burn off.

We land in Orlando and sit there at a gate for at least and hour and the passengers are getting grumpy. Once in a while the captain says the fog still hasn't cleared in Orlando. Finally, after 90 minutes or so the captain says he is going to let us out to wait out the weather in Fort Lauderdale. We then dink around the Orlando airport for about four hours when they finally ask us to get back on the plane. Then we sit there another hour or so at the gate doing nothing. The passengers start getting restless again asking what the hell is going on? Finally, the captain says that several passengers chose to not get back on the plane and ended their journey by plane in Orlando. The two cities are not that far apart. The captain then explains that they are waiting on somebody to do some mathematical calculations due to the lighter weight of the plane.

Okay. I get that the plane is a little lighter due to some passengers not getting back on (I don't blame them). You would need to know a plane's weight to determine how fast to take off and land. However, can't they just assume some average weight per passenger and per bag? They knew exactly how many people left and how many bags they checked. What is so complicated about it? You would think calculations based on a plane's weight are done for every flight so should be automated.

Due to this math taking about two hours I missed my connection in Fort Lauderdale. Jet Blue said the hotels they had relationships with were booked so we had to pay about $400 out of pocket for two hotels rooms to make the flight to Aruba the next day. I might add Jet Blue was not very apologetic about this at all. I've been meaning to mail them the hotel bill for the layover but am expecting them to say, "Sorry, the weather is not our fault."

So, my question is why does it take two hours to do math on a plane that should weigh only 3% less or so?

p.s. I asked a few people in Fort Lauderdale when I finally got there if it was unusually foggy that day in the morning. They said not that they noticed. I say this as corroborating evidence that maybe this pilot was not at the top of his field.

A few things.

First, the decision for the pilot to go to MCO, wait it out, then go to FLL is based on ATC and HQ, not him. He is not responsible for the weight and fuel maths either and has to wait for someone else to complete that calculation for him. And yes, they do calculate based on averages. In the end ATC probably gave him the permission for wheels up and down and the math was more of a workflow issue rather than it taking two hours to do a calculation. Could be that the person responsible for making that calculation was out to lunch or had more pressing things to do.

You should be getting reimbursed for the hotel as the weight check delay was on JB and you missing your connection is on JB, not the weather in FLL. You should get your hotel bill reimbursed and get some JB credit via $ or points.
January 16th, 2018 at 1:29:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I finally got around to asking Jet Blue for a refund. I had planned to mail them a copy of the hotel receipts but I couldn't find a mailing address anywhere on their web site. So I then started to explain this very long story through their "contact us" form but was rebuffed by a 1000-character limit. I don't think I can adequately make my case for reimbursement with only 1000 characters, so am going to write it here and give them the URL of the post. So, here is my message to Jet Blue:

Quote: Message to Jet Blue

This long story begins with our flight from Las Vegas to Aruba, connecting through Fort Lauderdale, being delayed leaving Las Vegas by about an hour. Close to landing in Fort Lauderdale, as planned, the pilot announced that due to heavy fog we couldn't land and due to low fuel had to land elsewhere, which would be Orlando.

In Orlando they kept a 100% full flight in our seats for at least an hour at the gate while they refuel the plane and wait for the fog to clear in Orlando. After a while longer, they kindly let the very frustrated passengers into the Orlando terminal to wait for the fog to lift in Fort Lauderdale. We then sit there in the Orlando terminal for about three hours. Meanwhile, I had a connection to make in Fort Lauderdale and was getting nervous about missing it.

Finally, they let the passengers back on the plane. If they left immediately, I probably would have made my connection. However we then sit in the plane at the gate doing nothing for another hour or so. Eventually, the passengers start to get impatient again. The pilot had the door open so could hear the sound and the fury going on. He came on the speaker and explained that several passengers got fed up and exited in Orlando. As the pilot explained, this necessitated redoing the math for the lighter load, which had to be done elsewhere. When then sit there another hour or so, waiting on a mathematician somewhere, before the plane finally starts to move.

By the time we finally land in Fort Lauderdale, my party of six, including me, had long missed our connection to Aruba. We then stand in line at the customer service desk or whatever it's called. When it was finally my turn I explained to the agent what happened. She said I would have to take the same flight to Aruba the following day. I then asked about where to stay. She said that all the hotels Jet Blue has a relationship with were booked and I would have to find a room on my own. I asked if Jet Blue would reimburse me for the expense and she said she didn't know and added that "the weather is not our fault." There was a long line of other angry passengers from the same flight behind me so I let it go to not hold up the line.

What happened next is we found a two rooms at the nearby Red Carpet Inn at 2460 State Road 84. Remember, we had a party of six so needed at least two rooms. The total cost for the two rooms was $359.54 and I am happy to submit the receipts. Needless to say, we missed a full day in Aruba over this too.

Like your agent said, I can't blame Jet Blue for the weather. However, I can blame Jet Blue for taking about two hours to do whatever math problem was needed to begin the flight. You would think that such calculations would be rather automated but what do I know about it? Given the ridiculously long time to do the math on the weight of plane, the missed connection was absolutely Jet Blue's fault. For this reason, I think a reimbursement of the hotel expense is the least you can do and the proper thing to do would be to also compensate us for missing a whole day of vacation and the horrendous ordeal of getting from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale.

I am writing on behalf of all members of my party of six. Thank you for your consideration.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 16th, 2018 at 1:54:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't think I can adequately make my case for reimbursement with only 1000 characters, so am going to write it here and give them the URL of the post.

Try Tweeting them the link, too. Often that's how many companies receive customer service requests.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 16th, 2018 at 1:55:21 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
I finally got around to asking Jet Blue for a refund. I had planned to mail them a copy of the hotel receipts but I couldn't find a mailing address anywhere on their web site. So I then started to explain this very long story through their "contact us" form but was rebuffed by a 1000-character limit. I don't think I can adequately make my case for reimbursement with only 1000 characters, so am going to write it here and give them the URL of the post. So, here is my message to Jet Blue:
Good luck Wiz.
I don't know if the US internal flight compensation rules are anything like those in Europe, but here we have pretty specific tariffs for specific scenarios. There is very little discretion or goodwill involved. E.g. medium haul, with a delay > 3 hours, a voucher for a very minimal meal.
I very strongly suggest that your verbose description of the state of affairs will get bounced back requesting you fill in some sort of checkbox form which will barely fit the bill. Expect them to short change you of your rights at every opportunity.
Here's an EU site describing our rights.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/Your-rights-when-you-miss-a-connection/
and here's one that might help you
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Don't take any shit off them. They know what they are doing and need to be made to pay the consequences of their decisions.

Also, I think you need to be more expressive of facts, and set aside the complaint grumbles, as in 'Flight xxx diverted to wherever and held there till whenever before departing for wherever, where it was xx hours late necessitating reasonable hotel and refreshment expenses for $xxx for the party of 6 comprising ... etc..." The CS handler won't care what you were told by the pilot or what reason they had given for any aspect of the delay..

(Still pissed from last two times the Wife and I got bumped off a flight)

Knowledge is power: Take no BS -- Oncedear
January 16th, 2018 at 2:09:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Too much information for B6
We do these all the time and its very brief.
If your flight was delayed due to weather, B6 not responsible for hotels
If you have a miss connection
a few choices
You can get a partial refund or a full refund.
You can cancel Florida to Aruba and get there on another airline and pay for that ticket and due a partial refund for B6 Fl to Aruba and use their return
You can cancel the whole trip and get a refund
or you can accept B6 protection next day and hotel is your responsibility if this was due to weather
B6 only responsible for getting to your destination and back which it looks like they did Of course they got you there a day late but you accepted protection. You had the right to not accept protection then due a partial or full refund depending on cancelling just outbound or cancelling out and return
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2018 at 2:58:57 PM permalink
boymimbo

Looking at the flight history for that day, JBU 278 from SFO was diverted to Palm Beach (arrived FLL 12:37pm), as was Spirit 954 from LAS (arrived 10:07am in FLL), Jetblue 320 (from SLC) arrived at 5:57am into FLL. There were a few other diverted flights as well. It looks like the airport did not receive much traffic between 0600 and 0900 with ground stops in airports when FLL was closed. After 9am some flights began to land normally. For example, Spirit 301 from BWI landed at 9:13am.

I would have written it like this:

We had tickets for six of us to travel on December 29 from LAS to ARU via FLL on flight 8 / 1411. Our connection time in FLL was supposed to be 5 hours (leaving at 11:06am ET). We booked our vacation using JetBlue because of your great reputation for comfort, free internet, and DirectTV and enjoyed the service ameneties offered inflight.

Unfortunately our flight from LAS to FLL was diverted to MCO due to fog in FLL and a lack of fuel. According to flightaware flights started to land again after 9am. However, due to complications that I feel were in JetBlue's control out plane did not depart until 12:46pm and arrived in FLL at 1:17pm, two hours after our departure had left for Aruba and four hours after air traffic restrictions were lifted.

We were told that JetBlue was delayed due to additional weight calculations due to passengers who chose to disembark at MCO. The rest of the delay was not explained to us.

I feel that JetBlue is responsible for our delay and would like compensation for our hotel in the amount of $359.54 (receipts available) as well as goodwill in the form of a JetBlue credit and/or points for the value of $200 for each passenger as the reasonable cost of losing a day of vacation in Aruba.

I am writing on behalf of all six members of my party. Thank you for your consideration.

-1320 characters. - still too long.
January 16th, 2018 at 3:08:55 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: terapined
Too much information for B6
We do these all the time and its very brief.
If your flight was delayed due to weather, B6 not responsible for hotels
If you have a miss connection
a few choices
You can get a partial refund or a full refund.
You can cancel Florida to Aruba and get there on another airline and pay for that ticket and due a partial refund for B6 Fl to Aruba and use their return
You can cancel the whole trip and get a refund
or you can accept B6 protection next day and hotel is your responsibility if this was due to weather
B6 only responsible for getting to your destination and back which it looks like they did Of course they got you there a day late but you accepted protection. You had the right to not accept protection then due a partial or full refund depending on cancelling just outbound or cancelling out and return

I accept that the diversion was due to fog at FLL and them not knowing when the airport would reopen. There were other diversions that day, and not just from B6.
However, the length of time it took for JBU to leave again I believe is their responsibility. Mind you, even when the airport reopened, it was very doubtful that Mike would have made his flight anyway.

Think of it this way. Jet lands, parks, and awaits FLL ground and B6's instructions. Pilot goes to an open gate, and lets pax deplane (reasonable). At 0900 say the FLL reopens. Then you have to file flight plan, take baggage off the plane, deal with weight changes and fuel, and get an ATC slot to fly. At best, you get people back on the plane at 0930 and wait until all of those things clear. Best case scenario is maybe a 1030 liftoff. And landing at 1130, still too late for the Wizard, and entirely due to weather. The way I see it, I don't think JetBlue helps you.
January 16th, 2018 at 3:52:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks for your comments and I appreciate all of them. In my defense, I wanted to paint a picture of just how awful the whole experience was. It wasn't only that I missed the connection but how and why.

I don't think I said but the flight to Aruba left at 11:20. If my plane left Orlando when other flights were landing in Fort Lauderdale, I'd have made it.

I will say that once I had to wait about six hours for a flight on Southwest from Seattle to Vegas. However, they were kind enough to call and tell me about the delay so I just dinked around downtown Seattle longer, which was no big sacrifice. Lots of passengers were rerouted on other flights. As I recall, Southwest gave every passenger a $300 or $400 voucher, which I thought was pretty generous. Let's keep that in mind in comparison that Jet Blue delayed me a whole day.

As to the length of my complaint, and I know this argues against my point, but I recently worked for a large Vegas hotel that shall remain untitled *ahem*. On one slow day I was reading through their corporate policies and one was a simple list of what to give as compensation for what complaint. For example, excessive noise at night due to other guests were to be offered $x off their room. If the reason was the hotel's fault, then it was $y. So, no guessing game, a list of frequent complains and how much to offer. It didn't say, that I recall, what to do if the guest declined but I imagine a human being would be assigned to it. I will say I thought the compensations offered were more than fair.

I predict that JB will offer all six in my family vouchers but not reimburse for the room. It is a valid point that if they offered trip insurance, which I don't recall, I would have declined it, as I always do. I'm open to friendly wagering on what they come back with.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 16th, 2018 at 4:06:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The WN compensation you mentioned
Was that a weather event or equipment problem?
Equipment - Airline responsibility
Weather - bad weather happens. Not airline fault. You accept protection and get there late or get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket if you refuse protection.

I would be surprised if B6 gives you vouchers but you never know. They fulfilled their obligation, get you to Aruba and back home.

I get lots of clients that refuse protection due to missing business meetings.

It does not happen a lot and its a case by case decision but I have seen airlines protect a pax on a competing airlines flights.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2018 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
boymimbo
Last fall I had a B6 flight to SMF - JFK - BUF.

SMF flight was delayed 4+ hours due to weather in JFK. Landed well after the last plane to BUF had left and after most JB employees had left. I was on the hook for a rental car (which cost me $50, cheaper than 2 taxi rides) and a hotel (which I found for $110 in the Marriott chain. Did not even bother to write JB. JB autoreimburses for late flights caused by them and have received 3 or 4 jet blue credits in my travel bank over the last year or so.

Quote: Jetblue

Delays

If a passenger’s flight is delayed due to a “controllable irregularity,” the passenger is entitled to a compensation good for future travel on JetBlue. If the delay time is 1:30-1:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $25 credit. If the delay time is 2-2:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $50 credit. If the delay time is 3-3:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $75 credit. If the delay time is 4-4:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $100 credit. If the delay time is 5-5:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $125 credit. If the delay time is 6 or more hours, the passenger will receive a $200 credit.

JetBlue will provide free movies on flights that are greater than 2 hours in duration for a passenger whose flight is delayed more than 3 hours after scheduled departure.

JetBlue does not waive fees based on uncontrollable irregularities. Fees will be incurred for changes made to the passenger’s flight.

Onboard Ground Delays

Passengers who experience an onboard ground delay on departure are entitled to compensation good for future travel on JetBlue. If the delay time is 3-3:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $50 credit. If the delay time is 4-4:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $125 credit. If the delay time is 5 or more hours, the passenger will receive a $200 credit.

Passengers who experience an onboard ground delay on arrival are entitled to compensation good for future travel on JetBlue. If the delay time is 1-1:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $50 credit. If the delay time is 2-2:59 hours, the passenger will receive a $125 credit. If the delay time is 3 or more hours, the passenger will receive a $200 credit. JetBlue will provide passengers experiencing an onboard ground delay with 36 or more channels of DIRECTV, food and drink, access to clean bathrooms, and, as necessary, medical treatment. JetBlue will not permit the aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three hours unless it is required to do so for safety reasons.

I think you are likely entitled to the $50 automatically for MCO, and $75 for the 2nd delay. I would argue that the time between ATC opening FLL and your actual landing time of 1:10pm is a controllable delay.
Page 3 of 6<123456>