2018 Dead Pool

January 23rd, 2018 at 9:56:12 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
I just wrote a question about the optimal strategy for this game in my Ask the Wizard column #307. The short answer is the expected points are maximized by picking 90-year-old men.

Thanks for the analysis Wizard! Very interesting!
January 24th, 2018 at 2:51:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I just wrote a question about the optimal strategy for this game in my Ask the Wizard column #307. The short answer is the expected points are maximized by picking 90-year-old men.

I will have to read this later. Meanwhile, who thinks it would be a neat movie if a script was written with 2 people knocking off celebs to win?
The President is a fink.
January 24th, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Meanwhile, who thinks it would be a neat movie if a script was written with 2 people knocking off celebs to win?

Have you heard of a tontine? It is basically a pool of money people of a similar age buy into and the last person to be left alive gets the pool. It is my understanding they are illegal due to the incentive to murder competitors left in the tontine once it is down to a small number. That, too, would make for good material for a movie script.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2018 at 3:45:25 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Deadpools were plot devices in a “Dirty Harry” movie, and recently the source of a Marvel superhero’s name.
January 24th, 2018 at 3:49:08 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Have you heard of a tontine? It is basically a pool of money people of a similar age buy into and the last person to be left alive gets the pool. It is my understanding they are illegal due to the incentive to murder competitors left in the tontine once it is down to a small number. That, too, would make for good material for a movie script.

I think I'd want to chop the pot if got down to two or three.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 24th, 2018 at 3:58:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford

I think I'd want to chop the pot if got down to two or three.

I'd be dead early so it would not matter.
The President is a fink.
January 24th, 2018 at 4:03:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

You could make the final pot even sweeter by having all the participants maintain high return life insurance policies.

For a Dumb and Dumber plot they could award it to second place.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 24th, 2018 at 4:32:23 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0

There's an episode of King of the Hill that deals with something like this.
January 24th, 2018 at 6:38:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ibeatyouraces
There's an episode of King of the Hill that deals with something like this.

I read there was a Simpson's episode involving one too, where Mr. Burns and Homer's father were the last two in a tontine.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 24th, 2018 at 7:35:22 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
I read there was a Simpson's episode involving one too, where Mr. Burns and Homer's father were the last two in a tontine.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0778451/?ref_=m_tttr_qt